Home

Only one movie to see this summer? WTF?

Darth Groovy

I just saw a line up for this summer's "blockbusters". Star Wars is sure to own them all as there is absolutely no competition at all.

Batman Begins? Yeah whatever. Dukes of Hazard? ...... War Of The Worlds...I dunno... Fantastic Four looks promising, and The Wedding Crashers will most likely be funny, but everything else....ugh.... what a lousy line up. I may stay home more than I thought, aside from seeing ROTS SEVERAL times.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I myself find the "Fantastic 4" trailer insulting, I find that the trailer for RotS doesn't dispel my concerns that Lucas is still not taking his medication, and I find Batman Begins to be faithful to its comic roots. I know which one I'm going to see, and it ain't "Gunganfest 2005." ;)

I dunno about Christian Bale rolling around Gotham City in a armor plated SUV. These days, i'm getting more and more convinced that Adam West is the true Dark Night, because he had Shark Repelant on his utility belt. I mean you have to be some kind of genius to wake up in the morning knowing you might have a shark hanging off your leg later that same day...

shark.jpg:mst3k:

Regarded as one of hip-hop's most introspective and insightful artists, Mos Def has shaped a career that transcends music genres and artistic medium. A child of hip-hop's Golden Era, the native Brooklynite spent his childhood imbedded in the culture surrounding him as well as absorbing knowledge from across the artistic spectrum.

With the release of "Universal Magnetic" (1996) Mos became an underground favorite in the hip hop world, leading to his legendary collaboration with Talib Kweli. The two formed Black Star whose debut album, Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are Black Star, would become one of the most critically acclaimed hip-hop albums. Mos followed that release with his 1999 solo debut, Black On Both Sides, which was certified gold and credited by critics as bringing hip-hop back to its soapbox roots.

As with his music, Mos has demonstrated insight and passion with his acting career, appearing in Spike Lee's Bamboozled, MTV's Carmen: A Hip Hopera, 2002's critically acclaimed Monster's Ball, Showtime, and the 2002 romantic comedy Brown Sugar, for which he received an NAACP Image Award nomination. In addition Mos has served as the host, music supervisor and co-executive producer for the HBO series Def Poetry and served as a writer, producer and actor on the MTV sketch comedy series Lyricist Lounge. Mos completed his Broadway debut in 2002 in the Tony nominated, Pulitzer Prize winning, Topdog/Underdog. Mos re-teamed with Topdog playwright, Suzan Lori Parks and director George Wolfe for the off-Broadway play, ****ing A, for which he was awarded an Obie Award.

In 2003, Mos Def starred in Paramount Pictures' The Italian Job, alongside Ed Norton, Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron. Last year Mos Def starred opposite Alan Rickman in the critically acclaimed HBO movie Something the Lord Made, for which he has received a 2004 Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie. Def was also nominated for both a Golden Globe Award (Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture) and Golden Satellite Award (Best Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television) for the same role He can currently be been seen on the big screen in the feature film The Woodsman, with Kevin Bacon, Benjamin Bratt, Eve and Kyra Sedgwick. The New York Times said of his performance, "I hope we don't have to wait too much longer to see him in a big-screen leading role," and USA Today heralded him as "the movie's best performance." In addition, he recently completed work on Spyglass Entertainment's The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, set for release in May 2005. In the film, an adaptation of the classic Douglas Adams Science Fiction novel, Def will star as hero "Ford Prefect."

Mos Def released his highly-anticipated and critically acclaimed sophomore solo release, The New Danger (Geffen Records), on October 12th. The album was met with praise from both critics and fans alike, with Rolling Stone giving it 4 Stars and hailing the album as "Ghetto rock and righteous hip-hop from dazzingly talented Def" and the New York Daily News proclaimed "No one is doing more to change our notion of how hip hop can sound." The first single, "Sex, Love and Money' earned Def a 2005 Grammy nomination for Best Alternative/Urban Performance and the album has been certified gold by the RIAA.

Mos Def :p

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm sure you knew that :D

Too much slapstick in the trailers for this new adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide. And while I must concede that I couldn't have casted Slartibartfast or Zaphod better, the rest of the casting (including Freeman and Rickman) is mediocre and pedestrian at best. Not looking forward to a new corruption of an old classic.

There are plenty of good movies coming out this summer.

See here:

ROTS

Cinderella Man

Batman Begins

Kingdom of Heaven

Bewitched

War of the Worlds (maybe)

The Wedding Crashers

The Island (maybe; seems interesting)

Kicking and Screaming

Then again, I like movies and am not hard to please. :D

Still don't see why you can't just take the movie as is and treat it as a new film
I do treat it as new... A new piece of crap. :D

As to why people are wary of re-toolings in general, past experience, that's why.

Look at the remakes of the Italian Job, Alfie, Get Carter,... The list is endless. Updates, reworkings... they're almost always bad ideas. Especially when they're made in the good old U.S. of A.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Too much slapstick in the trailers for this new adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide. And while I must concede that I couldn't have casted Slartibartfast or Zaphod better, the rest of the casting (including Freeman and Rickman) is mediocre and pedestrian at best. Not looking forward to a new corruption of an old classic.

I agree with you 100% on this one.

I'm going to ROTS at 12:01 on the 19th. People who fear it will be a repeat of episode 1 should consider that the third episode is supposed to be the darkest, and the first two were made to contrast it.

Regarding Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, some remakes are better than the original. Homer's version of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" for example. :p

Kingdom of heaven has no appeal to me... it looks like galdiator 2 meets Two Towers... but with the racist undertones of Black Hawk Down and Orlando Bloom (who is too lightweight to carry a movie)

I may watch hitchhiker's tonight, so i'll see about that one soon enough.

ROTS is alternating between looking cool and looking terrible with every peice of new i hear about it. I suspect it will follow GL's current philosophy of "hey dude, wouldn't it be cool if..." though and have nothing behind the gloss. So i just hope the gloss is good.

War of the Worlds really has no appeal at the moment... it looks too much like independence day. Still, spielberg doesn't usually disappoint so it may have some hidden depths.

Charlie and the Chocolate factory could be very cool, though i've seen ZERO info on it.

Fantastic Four looks terrible... like naother catwoman or elektra.

Batman Begins looks to be very cool. Though i think i heard it isn't coming out until november! WTF! They have been showing trailers for years now!

People who fear it will be a repeat of episode 1 should consider that the third episode is supposed to be the darkest, and the first two were made to contrast it.
Oh, I see, the first two were intentionally made into steaming piles of crap, in order to make this new film seem better? :D

Batman Begins looks to be very cool. Though i think i heard it isn't coming out until november! WTF!
June 17th in the US I think. 22nd in the UK.

A modern movie adaptation of War of the Worlds is a good idea, but I'm skeptical about this one. I despise Spielburg's depictions of families, with smart@ss, know-it-all kids and clueless parents who have no disciplinary skills whatsoever. After watching a few trailers, I did not see a single solitary alien being, starship or war machine, just a father and daughter running and hiding and buildings that just seemed to spontaneously combust. :rolleyes:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sounds intriguing, but I'm wondering if the movie is done in a way that will allow those of us who are unfamiliar with the story (me) to appreciate it.

I'm actually quite intrigued by Night Watch after watching the trailer.

I'll have to see ROTS for completion if nothing else.

I'll probably see the Hitchhiker film too, just to see how bad (or good) it is.

The jury is still out on the Spielberg adaptation of WOTW. Maybe I will succumb...maybe not. I'm sick of the old 'split up family let's get together' again crap, though.

Can't say I've been interested in any of the Batman movies, so I've no real interest in the next installment.

Kingdom of Heaven - maybe. Ridley Scott used to make good films, so maybe he's returned to form with this.

Remakes? God it's depressing. Take a classic and 'revisualise' (ie ruin) it. :rolleyes:

As if there weren't enough great SF and Fantasy novels out there just crying out for an adaptation to the big screen.

A Scanner Darkly might also be interesting (Philip Dick's novels usually translate pretty well to the big screen). If it maintains that visual style throughout, it would at least be aesthetically different. Although, I'm not too fussed on Keanu Reeves.

Can't say I've been interested in any of the Batman movies, so I've no real interest in the next installment.
Worth noting that this Batman film is deliberately drawing its style, plot and characters from the comics, something NONE of the previous films did. So if you're not interested in Batman full stop, you won't be interested in the film.

But if you liked the comics... well, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Archived