Home

Only one movie to see this summer? WTF?

Darth Groovy

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Well I saw my movie to tide me over till Star Wars...

Kung Fu Hustle.

Seriously, if anyone hasn't seen Kung Fu Hustle.....get off your ass. You're gonna want to see it.

I second that statement!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Spider AL

Oh, I see, the first two were intentionally made into steaming piles of crap, in order to make this new film seem better? :D

There are some people who liked the first two. They're crazy!

Seriously though, the crappy stuff from the others, like the romance and Gungans, shouldn't be much of this movie.

I just got back from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, I liked it. Wasn't really what I remember from the books (although I haven't read them in a long while).

Anyway, the movie I'm most intent on seeing is Episode III. I suppose I'm in a fanboy minority in saying that I have enjoyed the prequels.

Originally posted by Mike Windu

*sigh*

So many cskeptics about new adaptations... :p

Still don't see why you can't just take the movie as is and treat it as a new film. Might enjoy it more.

Your talkin about Spider man, a guy who'd boo-hoo the dialogue on the VHS of his first-borns birthday party :p

I'm looking forward to ROTS, of course, but there's a few others that I'd like to see. I just saw Sahara and it ruled, but I'm a big Clive Cussler fan and a budding archaeologist....

I'm looking forward to seeing Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, particularly since the original series from the BBC basically sucked. I was glad to have read the book first as a teen and again as an adult some years later. With modern special effects capabilities, this new adaptation should suck much less.

Monster-in-Law looks interesting, even though Jay Lo can't act for beans... but Jane Fonda is accomplished enough to make up for it, and it's her first film in 15 years.

I'm interested in seeing what Spielberg has done with the new adaptation of War of the Worlds. Tom Cruise and Tim Robbins along with Spielberg make for a winning combination, particularly if the effects are done right.

The Ballad of Jack and Rose promises to be an award winner, but Indy Films probably don't play well with the Swampie Crowd. Still, it stars Daniel Day Lewis -a dynamite actor who is completely under-rated.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Your talkin about Spider man, a guy who'd boo-hoo the dialogue on the VHS of his first-borns birthday party :p

Wow. You lost me completely.

Damn Ozzie :p

EDIT: Spider Al, man. Not spider-man >_> I gotcha...

Oh, and Madagascar is going to own.

I think Madagascar is not going to be any good. I am usually up for seeing movies of its sort, but this one just looks cheesy to me.

There are plenty of movies that I am excited to see. Batman Begins, Revenge of the Sith, Wedding Crashers, Kicking and Screaming, Bewitched, and on and on.

I am a sucker for movies so there are a lot that I will probably see.

Kingdom of heaven has no appeal to me... it looks like galdiator 2 meets Two Towers... but with the racist undertones
You're getting a bit extreme there. The whole POINT of the crusades was that they were racially and religiously motivated wars. Any film dealing with the crusades will therefore have to reflect those attitudes, and it's not written anywhere that historical filmmakers have to start condemning history. They just have to show it.

Your talkin about Spider man, a guy who'd boo-hoo the dialogue on the VHS of his first-borns birthday party
Ad hominem, go directly to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

I just saw Sahara and it ruled,
Sahara was THE BEST swashbuckling action film I've seen since... oh, the early 1990s. It was extremely enjoyable, and they managed to make the two American leads anarchic and sympathetic even to a neoconservative-o-phobe like myself. Good show.

No good (-seeming) movies??

* Revenge of the Sith

* The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

* Batman Begins

* Kingdom of Heaven

* War of the Worlds

* Unleashed

* Serenity

* Mr. and Mrs. Smith

* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

And that's just what comes to mind off the top of my head... XD

You're getting a bit extreme there. The whole POINT of the crusades was that they were racially and religiously motivated wars. Any film dealing with the crusades will therefore have to reflect those attitudes, and it's not written anywhere that historical filmmakers have to start condemning history. They just have to show it.

Though it seems from the previews that they ARE going to skew the facts, and it seems that they are presenting one of the sides as innocent and merely trying to defend themselves from oppressive invaders.

Which is pretty ridiculous considering the way the Crusades went.

I know what you're saying ET, but a: I'm not sure we can judge from the previews what the actual tone of the film will be, and b: it's important to remember that the invading Christian force DID think of themselves as righteous, so any film told from their point of view should reflect that accurately and leave it up to an educated audience to take whatever moral position they wish.

If they DO start revising history in the final product, that's a different matter of course.

Heh. Well as much as that is regrettable, I wouldn't want film media to become geared only towards educating the illiterate masses... would you? Fiction's fiction. Those who can't tell the difference really should read a book or two.

I know what you're saying ET, but a: I'm not sure we can judge from the previews what the actual tone of the film will be, and b: it's important to remember that the invading Christian force DID think of themselves as righteous, so any film told from their point of view should reflect that accurately .

A good point of course.

does anyone know WHICH crusade they're depicting in this film? Because if it's the first crusades...methinks they'll probably avoid showing what the Christians did after they sacked the city...;)

So some bit of education would be nice.
I guess so. I'd rather pay to see a good movie than pay to educate the filthy masses though, after all... they're irredeemable! :D

But as I said before, if the movie is neoconservative propaganda it's evil, (like Black Hawk Down) but if it's just harmless fiction (Like Gladiator) it's fine and dandy.

does anyone know WHICH crusade they're depicting in this film? Because if it's the first crusades
Start of the third, I heard somewhere. Also read that Saladin's not the "villain", which is promising.

Archived