Home

Only one movie to see this summer? WTF?

Darth Groovy

Kingdom of Heaven is situated between the second and third Crusade(considering Saladin is taking the city).

It is the muslim who are going to enter the city and I do hope that they stick to what is right and that there was NO slaughter when Saladin entered.

The movie tries to show the conflict between various Christian organizations rather then demonizing the muslims.

I feared that too, haven't seen the movie yet, but from the reviews, there seems to be an idolization of the muslims as noble and civilized men and the Christians as mere angry beasts.

We can easily see it by the inclusion of Raynald de Chatillon, a french pirate that provoked the muslims.

Though the movie is really historically unnaccurate with Sibylla and Guy de Lusignan. It's for the sake of a love story between Balian and her but still, Sibylla didn't hate Guy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there seems to be an idolization of the muslims as noble and civilized men and the Christians as mere angry beasts.
That's not what the scenes from the trailers imply, thank goodness. Men have been ignoble and evil, but beasts? Nope.

:dozey: It was my attempt at doing a metaphor...

I do agree that the trailer doesn't hint to anything good for the muslims with the way Jerusalem is bombarded, which is also pretty innacurate. From one part of the trailer, we can see a devastated Jerusalem. If I recall, Saladin tried very hard not to damage the walls of Jerusalem.

There was also the charge of a few heroic Christians against what seemed to be the entire Saracen Cavalry. Doesn't help either.

I had many doubts before reading the reviews.

And knowing that a Syrian actor accepted to play Saladin, I don't think any self-respecting arab would ever give a false impression of perhaps their greatest leader(aside from Mohammed, but that's another story).

met·a·phor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt-fôr, -fr)

n.

A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare). :p

Originally posted by Spider AL

You're getting a bit extreme there. The whole POINT of the crusades was that they were racially and religiously motivated wars. Any film dealing with the crusades will therefore have to reflect those attitudes, and it's not written anywhere that historical filmmakers have to start condemning history. They just have to show it.

Maybe. The trailers have definately been designed to appeal to the "bush-voter" demographic though. And Black Hawk Down, while a great film, had some very dubious undetones. That said, i heard a review that said that, despite the trailers, the film basically portrays the muslims as the good guys. Not sure how true that is either. Also just don't think orlando bloom has enough weight to carry a film.

Sahara was THE BEST swashbuckling action film I've seen since... oh, the early 1990s. It was extremely enjoyable..

Really? It was very enjoyable, but they turned it into more of a comedy than a "swashbuckling action film". In-fact it only really had one decent action scene (on the boats) and reminded me totally (in pacing, plot and characters) of American Treasure. Another enjoyable but forgettable action comedy.

PS/ Watch pirates of the carribean ;)

Madagascar looks fairly pants to me. Bit like robots. I think the fact that the first 6 or 7 3D animated films were all awesome has made people think that is due to the medium... when in fact it was because the plots and characters were great. Recently we've had Polar Express, Robots, Valiant, etc.. and it has become clear that just because a film is 3d computer graphics it isn't going to be another monsters inc.

I watched Hitchhiker's Guide last thursday. It was average. Mildly funny. Bit rushed. Maybe not quite as good as tv series. Good graphic design though. Put a more detailed review in the hitchhickers thread.

AHHH kingdom of heven look so pitty...but i have to go with War of the Worlds. even though i am not thrilled about Mr. Cruse what looks to be the leed role. but beside that. i think the one movie that i think will beat them all. The Island :drop: the eye candy all around with out of dought... but then again there are alot of what looks to be great movies. so let the best movie win in the box office. ;) oh yeah dont forget Willy Wonka. WEEE

Originally posted by Yom

AHHH kingdom of heven look so pitty...but i have to go with War of the Worlds. even though i am not thrilled about Mr. Cruse what looks to be the leed role. but beside that. i think the one movie that i think will beat them all. The Island :drop: the eye candy all around with out of dought... but then again there are alot of what looks to be great movies. so let the best movie win in the box office. ;) oh yeah dont forget Willy Wonka. WEEE

OMFG.....YOM?!?!?!?!? :drop2:

Bitch, get your ass back in the kitchen and make me my sandwich you promised me two years ago....:mad:

JK how's it been mang?!:p

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

OMFG.....YOM?!?!?!?!? :drop2:

Bitch, get your ass back in the kitchen and make me my sandwich you promised me two years ago....:mad:

JK how's it been mang?!:p

well buddy its been long as hell but i been making every one eals in the world there food i sorry but i will get to the sanswich and shove it down your throut.

I kidd. I kidd. ;) man its been a long time with work and a girl friend for the past 2 years life is bissy and has been some what good to me and now i am working with little time to do mutch of any thing. so now i come to psend some time i do have with you guys tonight.

but how the hella are you. what have u been doing.

oh by the way where my old box...:confused:;)

Originally posted by Yom

well buddy its been long as hell but i been making every one eals in the world there food i sorry but i will get to the sanswich and shove it down your throut.

I kidd. I kidd. ;) man its been a long time with work and a girl friend for the past 2 years life is bissy and has been some what good to me and now i am working with little time to do mutch of any thing. so now i come to psend some time i do have with you guys tonight.

but how the hella are you. what have u been doing.

oh by the way where my old box...:confused:;)

Box? What box? They shut the LFJA down about a year ago. Obi and I drive bye once in a while and poor out a little liquor where it used to be. Hope you didn't leave any valubles. :p

Archived