Home

KOTOR solution to Intel graphics problem

Aurelius

I found the fix for KOTOR not being playable on computers with Intel graphics adapters.

Im a technician, and this was driving me crazy! The game would fail, and lockup the computer, with no errors to go off of. But mainly, the game wouldnt even launch to start. This even applies to TSL.

After researching... I came across this...

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-008649.htm

The link speaks for itself, so there is no need to step you through the settings changes.

I know my hardware could use an upgrade, but for those of us with similar specs... this is your quick fix.

agreed. this is a nice find. good stuff. :D

and considering that your a technician, perhaps you could offer some help down here as far as hardware goes. i know a good deal, but i'm clueless when it comes down to the little details. well, sometimes anyways. ;)

Interesting.... I'm a pc tech as well sortof :D more network admin. :D

I had noticed this problem on my IBM ThinkCentre but since the other ThinkCentre I had already had a 256 Nvidia graphics card I just didn't bother.

So I'll close by sayin' THANKS A MILLION for the linkie to fix this issue. @#$# Intel....lol gotta love em'!

Thanks again :D

• 10 months later...

Thanks for putting this up. I was trying to install the game on my dad's computer (which has an Intel graphics adapter). We had all sorts of problems with the graphics, so I came to the trusty Workbench, followed the instructions here, and it worked like a charm.

This was a game-saver, and we appreciated the help very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I read the website from Intel, but it isn't helping me.

I just got KOTOR II for my Birthday(yesterday) and installed it. Updated it and I thought everything was working fine. I had to get off, so I saved the game. Later, I went to load the game and it my computer froze.

I do not have an ATI video or NVIDIA video card. My video requirements for the game are NOT met, but everything else is met. i played KOTOR hundreds of times and I never had any problems until I downloaded the latest driver patch from Intel support and then this loading error happened.

Any thoughts or help?????

i looked through it and saw that this only worked to the 8000 card series, i have a 915 one i think. when i followed to steps one of the buttons where not there, so i could do all of it. im still trying to figure every thing out.

TY for the addy any ways, with any luck ill find what i need on there.

ok, well i tried to update the driver(i looked like there is an update atleast) and it pukes on the install.... please help me ):

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

A simple Google search would have turned up the information. Cache is your friend. Also, searching here on the forums should have turned up a number of Intel chipset-related threads that likely would have answered your question.

Graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game compatibility issues

Symptom(s):

You may experience one of the following symptoms with the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game:

• A black screen when the game is loading
  • The game minimizes to the taskbar and there is no means to restore it
  • An error message that says: "SWKotOR Scan Results. Game Requirements Not Met. You current hardware configuration does not meet the game's required specifications."
  • The Details information says : "Video Failed...Graphics Required: 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required....OpenGL Failed...Required: Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4.0 drivers"
  • Menus display in the wrong location of the screen
  • Blocky areas sporadically appear during game play

Solution:

Use the latest Intel graphics driver along with the setting change described below. Refer to the driver README file for installation instructions as needed.

1. Click Start » Settings » Control Panel » Display » Settings » Advanced » Intel Extreme Graphics (or Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator) » Graphics Properties...
  2. Click the OpenGL tab.
  3. Select Blit as the Flipping Policy.

Operating System:

Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition

This applies to:

Intel® 82830M Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller

Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller Family

Intel® 82865G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family

A simple Google search would have turned up the information. Cache is your friend. Also, searching here on the forums should have turned up a number of Intel chipset-related threads that likely would have answered your question.

Graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game compatibility issues

Symptom(s):

You may experience one of the following symptoms with the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game:

• A black screen when the game is loading
  • The game minimizes to the taskbar and there is no means to restore it
  • An error message that says: "SWKotOR Scan Results. Game Requirements Not Met. You current hardware configuration does not meet the game's required specifications."
  • The Details information says : "Video Failed...Graphics Required: 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required....OpenGL Failed...Required: Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4.0 drivers"
  • Menus display in the wrong location of the screen
  • Blocky areas sporadically appear during game play

Solution:

Use the latest Intel graphics driver along with the setting change described below. Refer to the driver README file for installation instructions as needed.

1. Click Start » Settings » Control Panel » Display » Settings » Advanced » Intel Extreme Graphics (or Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator) » Graphics Properties...
  2. Click the OpenGL tab.
  3. Select Blit as the Flipping Policy.

Operating System:

Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition

This applies to:

Intel® 82830M Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller

Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller Family

Intel® 82865G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family

thanks but that doesnt help my case =( my PC is a Dell Dimension 3100C so it runs custom drivers made by dell. so there is no update =( looks like i need to get searching on a new graphics card

• 3 weeks later...

i have done everything i read XD but i still having problems...

this is what i got...

10642499.th.png

i don't understand why i'm getting this when i can play games like THE SIMS 3, FIFA 2009 and others with A LOT OF MORE requeriments than KOTOR or any other lucasarts games that are the only ones that gave me problems...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, after I read this thread and did some searching on the internet I'm a little out of hope, however I'd like to ask that can Knights of the Old Republic 2 be run with an Intel 82865G type graphics card somehow?

I've installed (as far as I know) the latest driver (which is version 14.17), and searched for OpenGL drivers with not much luck, and even tried selecting blit as flipping policy (whatever the heck it's supposed to mean) and still crashes after the character creation (comes up with a reference to 0x00000000 memory adress). However, the two things that really bother me is:

1, I've read in some forum (by the life of me I can't recall where it was), that someone was able to play it with 82865G graphics card and

2, Why after the character creation?? I mean, the character creation shows features from the game engine, does it not? So why does that part work?

(Besides that can try with my laptop, but I just dare not question that can the game be run with integrated graphics card)

Oh, and btw, I'm using Windows XP. I really hope that someone has a good answer, any other than "trust in the Force, you must" :)

Not an answer Dei, but you presented a question (no.2) that I'd also like an answer to.

Bump, pretty much.

Apologies to mods, but this is a problem that needs to be focused on and solved, assuming you guys still haven't put KOTOR 2 help for users with an intel chipset on the back burner. Changing to "blit" just doesn't work. Maybe find a new fix through Google that we have all searched for but not found? Something updated?

I'm trying really hard not to sound antagonistic, because I know it's because of the dedication of the mods that so many have found a fix before (myself included [previously, no longer {before that year and a half ago that it worked}]), but I'm myself extremely pissed off (sorry for the obscenity, other words could better describe but I'm bringing it down a few notches) about how much time I've spent getting this game working, to no avail.

I refuse to accept defeat in this matter, because I know that it works on my machine, as I've said in another thread I'm no longer keeping alive, because the title of this thread pretty much covers the problem in a nutshell.

Here is where I'd put the "original post" for my final post in the thread that I made, mods please replace this line with that, I don't know how to do it.

Apologies to mods, but this is a problem that needs to be focused on and solved, assuming you guys still haven't put KOTOR 2 help for users with an intel chipset on the back burner.
You do realize that the mods are not employees of LA, that they are not involved at all in this kind of troubleshooting other than occasionally offering a helpful idea from their experience? Those of us who enjoyed the game enough to play it enough times to know our way around the games perquisites and oddities, and are saavy enough computing-wise to understand simple software-related issues, are the ones who try to help you. Volunteers, dig?

I'm trying really hard not to sound antagonistic, because I know it's because of the dedication of the mods that so many have found a fix before (myself included [previously, no longer {before that year and a half ago that it worked}]), but I'm myself extremely pissed off (sorry for the obscenity, other words could better describe but I'm bringing it down a few notches) about how much time I've spent getting this game working, to no avail.
We understand. It is frustrating, sometimes, to get the games working. Try modding them :ugh:

I refuse to accept defeat in this matter, because I know that it works on my machine, as I've said in another thread I'm no longer keeping alive, because the title of this thread pretty much covers the problem in a nutshell.
Good, just do not expect corporate action from a fan-run website! We are helpful when we can be because we choose to be :)

To your issue: I am sorry, but that is not in my wheelhouse, as it is a known issue, as you have mentioned. There are threads in these forums dedicated to this subject, but they may not be incredibly helpful.

Perhaps I came off too strongly. I'm not looking for any kind of action to be taken against the creators as I respect LucasArts for making this and other excellent games (Monkey Island 1 and Loom were among the first games I ever played), nor do I expect the mods of this forum obligated to find fixes. That was my frustration talking. I guess I was saying longwindedly that if you guys are still volunteering to find fixes, then a good way to solve a lot of issues and make a lot of people even more grateful would be to focus more attention on finding a fix to this particular problem, as it has not been resolved, like the other threads that you've mentioned provide evidence for.

I would be eternally grateful, and so would others who stumble back here after recurring failure. :)

Edit: I would be willing to help in any way that I can, and if I happen to find a fix I will surely post it.

You do realize that Intel GPUs aren't officially supported by these games, right? Hell, they don't even run well on ATI hardware any more. It's basically gotten to the point where you have to have an Nvidia GPU or you can forget about playing KotOR on your computer.

alright, update!

just bought a new machine. (of course not solely for the purpose of playing this game)

Same problem after character creation. Here's my new specs (it says xp sp2 because i already did that compatibility fix):

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=12/7/2010 3:46:20 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files(x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=None

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2194

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=7

CPUStepping=10

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Celeron® CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=3008

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=188.15GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1366x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1892

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=0

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=0

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=64

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=1

Anisotropy=16

Frame Buffer=0

Anti Aliasing=0

Texture Quality=0

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=0

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=1280

Height=1024

[Game Options]

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=1

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=167

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

UnlockedPlanetSongs=3

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

[Autopause Options]

End Of Combat Round=0

Mine Sighted=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie10=0

Movie 9=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 5=0

Movie 4=0

Movie 3=0

Movie 2=0

Movie 1=0

Movie 0=12

^I see no Dantooine lag fix, and Fullscreen=0 under both "Display Options" and "Graphics Options".

8) Do the Dantooine lag fix as instructed in EDIT #4:

EDIT #4 This is also not Vista-related, but it would appear that the classic "Dantooine lag fix" for ATI video cards is now required for BOTH ATI and Nvidia DX10 cards, as well as for Intel integrated GPUs. This should also be done with BOTH GAMES. It should also be done when using XP with a DX10 card:

• First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
  • When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
  • Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
  • Under the last line ("last line" as in the last line of the list of entries under "Graphics Options", NOT the last line of "swkotor(2).ini), add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
  • Goto File, then Save.

With KotOR2 only, make sure that Fullscreen=1 and that the Width and Height values are the same and set to a resolution that the game actually supports (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x960 or 1280x1024) under both "Display Options" and "Graphics Options" in the "swkotor2.ini" file. After applying the changes, save and exit then go back into the file to make sure that the changes were saved. If they weren't, move the swkotor.ini file to your desktop and apply the changes there. Save it, exit, go back in to check and see if the changes were applied, then move it back to the main game folder.

In your case I would try 1280x768, since it will fit your screen better. You'll have to set it in the .ini file, because the option is not available in in the game's options menu.

• 7 months later...
I found the fix for KOTOR not being playable on computers with Intel graphics adapters.

Im a technician, and this was driving me crazy! The game would fail, and lockup the computer, with no errors to go off of. But mainly, the game wouldnt even launch to start. This even applies to TSL.

After researching... I came across this...

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-008649.htm

The link speaks for itself, so there is no need to step you through the settings changes.

I know my hardware could use an upgrade, but for those of us with similar specs... this is your quick fix.

The link is broken... can u please resend it?

Archived