Home

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II does not work on XP!!!

bootleg42

Ok, I got Dark Forces II and when I click on jk.exe, this comes out:

The screen goes black and a message now pops up saying:

"ERR_CANNOT_LOAD_FILE_(then a bunch of squares show)t"

Now what??? I really want to play this game as I found it in a store and it is rare to find. Please someone help.

Yeah I also tried that and when I clicked on install, it says:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The sytem file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Then two options appear saying 'Close' and 'Ignore'

When I click on 'Close', everything closes and when I click on 'ignore', the program never gets started at all.....I even waited 20+minutes and nothing happened.

So I believe that it may not work on XP. What should I do??? Is there something I'm doing worng or is there a patch or something that would make the game playable for XP or what should I do?? I really want to play this game because then I would have played all the Jedi Knights games.

Hm, that's very strange. I have XP, and it runs flawlessly.

You might have a bad disk, but that's just grasping at nothing. If you have access to another XP Computer, try the same disks there and see if the result is the same. If it is, then odds are the disk is bad. Otherwise, I don't know. You may also try asking this question in the Yoda's Swamp board. It gets more traffic there than here and someone might have better suggestions than I can give.

Lemme know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Anothe rtip is that if you have a less than legal or "cracked" version of the game that may be what's causing your problems. Just so you know...

Use the original discs without cracks, apply the official patch and try it.

JK1 works fine on Win2kpro for me, and since it's similar to XP I would think it should work (and XP advocates are always saying how game friendly their favorite OS is!).

There IS a way...

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by acdcfanbill

ahh yes the autoexec.nt prob, i've seen it with other games, like me trying to play monkey island games, i cannot remimber how to get around it though. try searching Microsofts site.

I tried the game with another computer with XP and it worked. But when I put it in my computer on XP, it gives me that "autoexec.nt" message. I have played other Star Wars games on PC like Republic Commando and KOTOR so this game should have no problem but yet it does. What do I search for in microsoft's site???

Also I do not have a pirated or "cracked" copy. This is a copy I found in a video game store for like 12 dollars. It is not a fake because it worked on other comps. I need help please.

• 4 months later...

The music is on the CD's, so if you have Cd audio disabled (either in game or in windows) or the speaker muted, it won't play.

As for saving games, that shouldn't be a problem. There is a program to retrieve corrupted saves (I forget the name of it, it was released a long long time ago) but as to why it is crashing or quitting I don't know. Is Windows patched up? No viruses?

You may also want to try toggling "auto play audio cds" in windows, that might fix your music problem if the above fails to solve it.

I forget the technical name for it (redbook audio?) but Jedi Knight uses CD audio on discs 1 & 2.

If your computer can play a music CD, then it should be able to play the JK music. The "format" is cd audio... not midi, not mp3.

The sound effects are in wav format.

Check to see if you can pop in an audio cd (circa 1997 if you want to get fancy) and have it play the music. If it works, then there's no reason why your JK1 music shouldn't work, if you're using the full legal version of the game (and say not some warez version with the music stripped out).

The game isn't "too old." People have gotten the music in Dark Forces 1 to work in XP, and that game is 2+ years older than JK1! ;)

OH GOD THX KURGAN 10000 KISSES LOL I LOVE JEDI KNIGHT, I FOUND THE READ Me sry for caps...i found the read me and read something interessting...i found another way, i copy them from cd to my pc, now I GOT THEM WAAAAAAAAA THX 10000 times :king1:

edit: YOU ARE MY HERO..ehm JEDI !!! LOL xD

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Still can't get JK:DFII to run on Windows XP. I did the compatibility check and my comp passed it, I've downloaded the one and only official patch for it. But when I run JK.exe, i get a black screen and a message box saying "unable to load" or "an error occured while loading" or something or other, not actually giving a specific reason for not loading. I've even tried doing the "run in compatibility with Windows 95" but still the same result.

Is there a 3rd party patch/utility I can download or is there something I'm not doing right?

Please someone help!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Same here, but i have a problem with the weapons in First Person beign not solid, but semi-transparent and parts pread across the bottom of the screen

That might have something to do with your 3d card not being good enough. I have trouble with that in a couple games. either turn off 3d in JK or deal with it. that's all i can say.

Archived