Should there be native units?

starmark2k

Would natives ne good.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would natives ne good.

• Yes
    • No

No.

The Wookiees probably suffered too big a loss during the clone wars to be of any help (We'll know in 15 days, wont we? :D), and the Ewoks did not even think of helping before 3PO showed up. There could however be room for occasional local animals, such as wampas...

I say yes, but I don't think that primitives like the Ewoks should help. Defend themselves if attacked I would say. I just don't want to see the Rebels decide to take a neutral planet by force and the enemy is a whole bunch of Imperial units...

i'd have to say no. although it might add a bit to the realism on some planets (as well as a couple of bonuses), i'd rather have things focused on the combat between the Rebels and the Empire instead of having to try to form alliances with the locals.

I say yes. Why? The Rebels need a way to convince the locals of a neutral planet to join them without bombing them to dust. The inclusion of natives would help the player who wants to take a diplomatic way in solving a problem.

Also, you could organize uprisings on Imperial controlled worlds.

It would be interesting in terms of gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes

I think that it would make sense if it were done similarly to how AoE3 handles natives (big surprise there, huh?). In AoE3, the natives essentially function as neutral entities in the field, and you can ally with them by setting up an outpost there and they give you access to different units and techs.

However, in EaW, it would make sense to merge this with the Imp/Reb dynamic. The Rebs, due to their underdog status and complete map visibility (and Star Wars canon, but who cares about that?), would have to ally with the wookies/ewoks/gungans/mon calamari/whatever through some means (you cant really expect them to copy AoE piece-by-piece), while the Empire, has to seek and destroy/enslave the native populations. I would prefer enslavement, cause not only does it keep the game more fair (if the imps can just destroy the natives, it makes the rebs bonus short-lived), it gives the rebs an opportunity to destroy the slaver camps and free the natives.

• 3 months later...

Archived