Home

Star Wars Episode Three - Revenge of the Sith: The Video Game *spoiler tags*

El Sitherino

I had my doubts for quite a while, but pre-ordered. I picked it up (as of now) yesterday. Been playing it since I got it and I can say without hesitation, it is the best movie tie-in game I've played in a long, long time. It is also probably one of the funnest Star Wars games.

The lightsaber combat is as fluid as realisticly possible. The interactable enviroment is done amazingly well, but takes a bit practice to get a hang of. The AI is some of the best I've seen in a game. When playing as Anakin, Obi syncs perfectly with my moves. The enemies are as smart as their own characters (which isn't that smart, but AI wise, brilliant).

Some systems that aren't as new might have slow down and chopiness, but that's due to wear of the system and not the game.

So far I've only done the versus mode of mulitplayer, but it's amazing.

All in all, I say to everyone capable of purchasing this game, do so. You will not regret it.

LEGO Star Wars (on PC *and* GBA) already spoiled much of EpIII for me, so I had no qualms picking up the Nintendo DS version of the Episode III game.

I picked it up yesterday - this is the first game I've actually bought for the DS (my wife bought me the DS for Christmas, and picked up Mario for me ... which I have no real interest in, but the kids like it)

So far I really like it:

- The graphics are good, not full utilizing the DS, but better than LEGO Star Wars (GBA), and the action is *smooth*, no matter what is on the screen.

- When I fail miserably (notice I didn't say 'if') I don't lose too much - you can just 'try again', which is nice.

I have a feeling it will be a very short game based on what I've played. We'll see.

BTW - I got it at Toys R Us for $30 - whereas at least EBGames and GameSpot had it for $40!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

mike, the topic is the rots game.... :p

I know - and that is what I was talking about ... but given I just played both the PC and GBA versions of LEGO SW, I used that as comparison / contrast.

the lego game has spoilers in it !??

Well, given there is a big door marked 'III', and that the 'I' door has all of Episode I and the 'II' door has all of Episode II, I'll leave the heavy math to you ;)

Mike

how does it compare to the swing mechanics of JK series?? or is it more of a soul caliber type movement? i did see a bunch of pre done combos that made me think of soul caliber when i saw them.

meh ill never get to play probably since the only consoles i own are super nintendo and ps1.... i pray for them to release on pc.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

I really want to get the game, but I have to wait til I get home to my XBox :(

Does it feel like a fighting game with lightsabers? Like DOA + Action game, because that's what it looks like to me.

It feels more like the old school, sidescroll beat em up, but more sophisticated.

Compared to Outcast and Academy, it depends on your style of saber combat. This definitely has some liberties taken, but I think they do well. Me, I think this might be my new favourite saber combat game. But I still love the PC games for their customization. Which is really the only flaw I can think of for this game, but it's on console, so I can't say I'd ever expect customization.

I got through it, and I must say, the ability to do the infamous Old Ben vs. Suited Vader is amazing. And the bonus missions are incredibly fun, especially playing Yoda taking out some clones.

I'd say it's a suped up Jedi Power Battles, with none of the flaws. It's as bugless as I can expect a game to get. Only time I ever had a glitch (once, during the clone arrival, but it didn't hinder gameplay at all) it was systematic because my PS2 is crap but my friends is the new slimmer one, so it's not as worn as mine.

Originally posted by Nalukai

i did see a bunch of pre done combos that made me think of soul caliber when i saw them.

The only pre-done combo moves are the devestation attacks. And those you can do at any point and pretty much make your own combo with them as a finisher. I did a 42 hit combo attack and used one of the fury slams as a finisher. Mind you this isn't a button masher if you want to eliminate enemies with optimum efficiency.

But yeah you could say it handles the combat system like a fighter game, but I see it fitting more into the classic sidescrollers.

I think my only complaint is the camera angles. Sometimes I wish I could look at other directions, but that's merely out of curiousity.

PS:

Grievous is probably the hardest of duels when taking him with four sabers.

The only thing I don't like from what I've seen is that the saber combat may be fun, but it's more of a taken-at-liberty style of combat. It doesn't seem to be all that fluid and graceful, more of a combo-ey based system. And the goofball one liners they characters put out, I pray has been changed...

"Someone must have programmed you to talk too much."

Wha?

But I'll still get it. :D

Originally posted by Mike Windu

The only thing I don't like from what I've seen is that the saber combat may be fun, but it's more of a taken-at-liberty style of combat. It doesn't seem to be all that fluid and graceful

Not at all. If you know how to do things properly, it's perfectly fluid, but if you're a button mashing whore, it's going to be choppy.

more of a combo-ey based system.

Most swordplay games are combo based because that's what you have to do in real life. Not everything is single-hit-kill. :p

And the goofball one liners the characters put out, I pray has been changed...

"Someone must have programmed you to talk too much."

... You expect too much from a STAR WARS game.

But I'll still get it. :D

Good.

"too easy" is definitely a very subjective thing.... but "too short" everyone understands... what is it like lengthwise... (compared it to the ROTK for example ??)

I've never played the RoTK game, so I'm not sure, but I took it in about *counts* ... 9 hours. But I'm by no means an ordinary person. Some of the people up at gamestop said they took about 14-15 hours and some mom said her son still hasn't beaten it.

It depends on how focused you are on getting experience as well. I am easily finding myself going through a second time and taking longer to gain a lot of experience in first runs instead of replaying to get it up. It all depends on how fast you have yourself go, and the difficulty that you set it at. Even then with the addition of bonus missions, you'll find yourself being kept busy at least until the movie arrives.

The game is actually challenging when set to hard, something most games are not.

I finally got my Xbox few days ago after 3 years of asking for it. Also gonna get the game soon probably in 2 days time. Game screenshots look so cool! Strange why IGN gave it a 4.5 while someone else gave it an 8.0 :p

In the meantime, im occupied with Predator: Concrete Jungle. :D

Pros:

• Decent Graphics (for LucasArts Console game)
  • Close to movie as a game can get
  • Have Unlockable things (Including Episode IV suprise)
  • Multiplay and co-op support
  • Decent Saber combat
  • Long Episode III clips
  • Sound is excellent
  • Cool alternate ending
  • LucasArts being brave enough to try a movie game for Episode III after the Episode I game disaster.

Cons:

• Cheesy lines between Fights (Carry over to MultiPlayer)
  • Bad voice acting (except Anakin's, does sound like Hayden's bad acting
  • Not to many unlockables
  • Co-op worthless
  • Force moves remind me of DragonBall Z, which I hated
  • Low quality movie clips
  • First 5 levels cover only first 30 minutes of movie
  • Only Anakin and Obi-Wan are playable in SP
  • Graphics are decent but could be much better shame on you LucasArts
  • More MP characters please I want to play Darth Maul

I'd give it a 65% rating

But it is fun to play over again just not what was expected.

NOT THE ULTIMATE JEDI EXPERIENCE!

I'd have to say this about the game. I like it.

Pros:

Great Graphics (definately looks better on a 50 inch than a 27 though)

Like how you switch from Ani to Obi in story mode

Customizing your powers pretty cool

Fighting against a friend in Multiplayer

The extra Footage

Challenging, but not entirely impossible.

Cons

Being an episode 3 spoiler whore - I'd have to say I was expecting the story to unfold like the movie is supposed to. I won't give anything away, but I feel as though it skips around. Like it was said above - the first levels are challenging and really feel like your in the movie, but then......spoiler tag - but its not really a spoiler...summary you jump from one thing to another

you go from fighting off Grevious to all of a sudden fighting Mace? Where the hell did that come from?

That's my only regret. You won't really totally spoil yourself in the game and I'm sure they left it like this so it won't give away the movie but still - come on = we are going to see the movie in a few weeks.

Archived