Home

WIP: realistic grievous

{xg}darthVADER

the way i understand it is that Neomarz is making a cartoon version of grievous so i tought why not have a go at modeling a realistic grievous

here's what ive made so far

i\ll need help with the skinning and rigging tho so if anyone wnats to help or knows some tutorials

stupid adds

grievoushead4li.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know he never said that he was doing a cartoon version--maybe you misunderstood what he said, he said that he watched the cartoons and it made him want to make grievous---the real version---but it never hurts to have more than one version so keep at it---the only thing I can say is that it looks like a high poly count--remember that you want to keep each mesh object to <500 polys so that it will generate shadows and <1000 or carcass won't do it, the head looks pretty high-poly for a game model.

I've made models with up to, around 8000 polys total.

As a general rule of thumb - you should make sure that all your seperate meshes are under 500 polys (like the head, and torso), so they create dynamic shadows, in-game. (like Darthviper, said)

I, so far haven't reached a "poly limit" on playermodels in JA, so I guess, it all depends on what the machines can handle. And if it is too detailed, and causes a massive slowdown, then you should invest time in creating, LODs. (of you've read the modelling tutorial, you know what this is.)

The head looks fine, great work, except the cylinders, on the sides of his head, connecting the fins - those cylinders should be reduced to a hexagonal or (at the most) an octogonal or even a 10-sided cylinder. cylinders, really don't need to be that detailed, in game - no one will even notice, once it's skinned, anyway.

ok ive done some more work on the head and it was indeed wel over 500 polygons ive been able to reduce the polycount from 900 to around 640 but i recon it wont be enoegh but we'll see how it goes

i've also dome some changes on the head i found a good front view wich realy helped with the overal shape of the mask

anyways wadda ya think?grievoushead17wv.jpg

Originally posted by NeoMarz1

Very Nice, I have to say that is very impressive. Damn, and did I say I'm not competitive? I better get my game on... eeeeeeeek... Mars out

I have to say my... my draw dropped when it said "Realistic Grievous"... What mine looks that bad?... I know you probably just misunderstood.

Honestly it looks great! Keep going. I already see the mistakes I made by looking at yours. Just a heads up, The body is going to be fun. I had to do a bit of guess work, cuz of the limited screens without a cape. Great job. Mars out yet again.

notice how swg is trying to save thair game by adding cool stuff to their game that makes no sense with the movies

how ever if you look at the swg's version you see that they bastardized the model so that it would fit their humanoid skeleton look at the feet in particular also the organ sack is missing in his chest

and i'm not competitive ether all i want is to make a grievous model that i can be proud of and hopefully make lots of people enjoy it

also Neomarz i tought your model would be cartoon version because of keshire's post

here i am with an other update

may i ask anyone who is willing to help me with getting this model ingame ive never gotten any more ingame let alone a player model so anyone who wants to help please pm me

ok back to buisnes

my general grievous now with some more body plating.

the chest needs a little bit more work i know

also i'm still thinking of a wol poly way to connect the head to the main body and not make it look bad

grievousangle8lp.jpg

grievousfront7vc.jpg

any feedback is welcome good or bad

Average Player Model Poly COunt in JKA is about 3000 - 3500 polys.

LODS (Lower poly versions of model seen at distance are approx 2000, 1000 and 500 polys) - while not essential, they make the model work better in MP.

While you can certainly go higher - just think what happens during Multi-Player with all those hi-res models running around.

Most of the detail should be in the texture maps - just see any of Hapslash's work to see how good they can be.

There's plenty of Gevious references available now with all the various books and action figures out now.

I've done a bunch of character models so I can probably help you get it in-game. That galaxies reference can probably help with the texturing since it is pretty close to how it should be, although on the modeling some of it isn't quite right (I really hate how his face looks on the Galaxies reference). Anyway, good modeling :amidala:

Archived