Home

Basic Braining Intro...Foreshadowing? (SPOILERS)

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. Raz makes a reference to a "mental dentist's office" in the Basic Braining intro. Later, we learn that Dr. Loboto is a dentist who removes people's brains.

Mental dentist?

I think Tim may have taken quite a few English classes before writing his games, because this (and a million other things) seem to prove that he has quite a bit of knowledge regarding literary devices.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he mentions how that room they're in at the beggining, before the battlefield part, looks kind of like a mental dentist's office. I don't remember exactly... my brain's scrambled from watching Invader Zim for two hours in a row. @_@ I'll check and see tomorrow.

Originally posted by itchythesamurai

Udvarnoky, could you refresh my memory of how that went? I don't remember it.

I don't remember exactly, just when you first enter Cruller's lab and he starts talking about Psychonauts Raz says something like "I'll bet you've got a jet somewhere under here, right?" I think it's right before Cruller mentions how he's too old to do field work and how he sends Sasha and Milla to perform missions. I just thought the ending was sort of a cool nod to that.

Originally posted by AgentJess

I think he mentions how that room they're in at the beggining, before the battlefield part, looks kind of like a mental dentist's office. I don't remember exactly... my brain's scrambled from watching Invader Zim for two hours in a row. @_@ I'll check and see tomorrow.

Raz: So...this is it. The mental world.

Elton: It looks like a dentist's office.

Raz: A MENTAL dentist's office.

Priceless. I was laughing out loud the first time I heard that, and still do.

• 3 months later...
Raz: So...this is it. The mental world.

Elton: It looks like a dentist's office.

Raz: A MENTAL dentist's office.

Priceless. I was laughing out loud the first time I heard that, and still do.

lol, I remember that now! Wow, I need to play this game again and try to catch all of the foreshadowing he did.

A lotta foreshadowing was done... Oleander saying he has "big plans" for Raz's mind. Wanting the children to walk around unsupervised on the beach. The meat plant. The bunnies. I don't think the mental dentist's office was one. The jet under the base. Uhm... can't think of any more... oh geez... sorry.. can't remember any more.

I liked all the referencing Boyd made to his burning of Hernando's. He said things like

"Hernando!"

"The fire will start in menswear"

"No insubordination, right boss?"

The whole ordeal with the fire just fascinates me. Another little tidbit is if you try to set fire to one of Fred's figures he says "They fireproofed this place years ago, you know, a lot of firestarters used to live here.", which I thought was another nod to Boyd.

Archived