Home

I hope Tim makes another graphic adventure

Please make another straight up graphic adventure. I know graphic adventures are dead, and Psychonauts is great for the most part for graphic adventure fans, but boy were we thrown under the bus for the arcade intensive finale. But I am glad that Psychonauts was made, none the less. I hope it's not another 7 years before Tim releases a new game, regardless. Anyone know if he's got anything in the works?

I think another graphical adventure is highly unlikely. As much as I love adventures, that's a genre that's pretty much dead here in the US, as you said.

Think about the most successful graphical adventures in recent years (Syberia, etc) and I think you'll see that they've been developed outside the US, with the exception of the Myst series. I even feel that the platformer is merely a niche genre compared to first-person shooters, stealth games, and fighting games.

I just don't feel confident that you can develop an adventure game in today's environment given costs and demand.

I'm personally a fan of platformers and RPGs. I hope he does more of those kinds of games; Psychonauts is amazing.

I've never actually played one of his old games, but I have heard of them frequently. I'm going to try and find Grim Fandango for sale somewhere.

Yeah that's probably true that another graphic adventure is unlikely. That's too bad. But hopefully with his next game he can include different modes, one that's mostly arcade intensive, one with a mix, and one that's mostly puzzle oriented. Something like that. But I'd be happy with any new Tim Schaefer game. I hope we don't have to wait that long.

Well, I think Tim Schaffer's goal with Psychonauts and Double Fine in general was to be devoted to platform graphic adventures. I think the reason he left LucasArts was so that he could pursue his own creative freedom without being held back by the business decisions of most game producers. Everyone knows FP shooters, sports games, and sex and violence sells extremely well, but Tim said himself that there was a much bigger potential audience out there for adventure and comedy. And I wouldn't say that adventure platformers are dead by any means. Nintendo continually proves that on it's platforms. In fact, all these games, Psychonauts included, took their cue from Mario 64 and Zelda. Mixed with classic LucasArts gaming talent, and you get one deadly cocktail.

I don't think platformers are a niche genre. Sure, they're not as popular as they were on the NES, when almost every game was some sort of platformer, or maybe even on the n64 or play station, but there are still more of them than I can count, and many of them are successful franchises. I mean, Mario is definately not dead.

I doubt we'll see a game that's nothing but adventure. We might see one that's less action and more adventure though. I mean, every game can't have a circus child for a main character(well, maybe the sequel).

BTW, Lucas Arts sells both Full Throttle and Grim Fandango for $20 a pop in their company store. They were selling all 4 monkey island games for $30 too.

Originally posted by itchythesamurai

I don't care about the genre as much as I do about the creativity, characters, storytelling, and the fun factor.

True dat. I think this was Tim Schafer's sentiments as well.

Boy, I'd love to be a rich game producer and start my own company. I would get Tim, Ron Gilbert, David Grossman, and all the other game talents out there, all with their respective companies and let em do whatever they want. I'd publish em all. You know what? I'd be happy just working for a game company. No, wait! I'd be happy if I was just flat-out rich.

maybe "Psychic Summer Camp Online". Create your own pyschic chyld and then participate in the festivities. Maybe you could even enter other player's minds. That would be interesting. Either the minds would be created by many variables that change depending on what the player does or wants or is interested in, which seems like a lot of work for the art department to make anything that's remotely dynamic, or maybe the player creates it themselves.

I doubt it. It's an interesting idea though.

I don't like paying monthly fees. I avoid them like the plague.

The feather can be used to see the camp from different perspectives... I think that's it's sole purpose anyway... and tickling people. :D

After you return Marlouf, Benny, and that Russian kids brains is there anyway to find them in the summer camp? I can find every kid except for them...

Originally posted by SerialFreak

After you return Marlouf, Benny, and that Russian kids brains is there anyway to find them in the summer camp? I can find every kid except for them...

Malouf and Mikhail (the Russian guy) can be found in the parking lot doing something to Coach Oleander's jeep. I never found Benny myself. He said he wanted to join forces with Dr. Loboto so maybe he'll be a villain in future series :p

Originally posted by VSTM

maybe "Psychic Summer Camp Online". Create your own pyschic chyld and then participate in the festivities. Maybe you could even enter other player's minds. That would be interesting. Either the minds would be created by many variables that change depending on what the player does or wants or is interested in, which seems like a lot of work for the art department to make anything that's remotely dynamic, or maybe the player creates it themselves.

Now, that's a fantastic idea for an mmo.

Originally posted by itchythesamurai

I don't care about the genre as much as I do about the creativity, characters, storytelling, and the fun factor.

I agree with that, but I'd add gameplay to it, and that's where I wish the graphic adventure could be resurrected. Now that I've finished Psychonauts, I thought it was a great game overall, but some of the heavy action elements really had me frustrated when I was going through it. I don't really want to spend hours trying to do the same thing over and over again. I'd much rather spend hours and hours lesurely roaming around an area searching for clues. At least Psychonauts had some of that too... it's a minor quibble.

Originally posted by AceFox

Malouf and Mikhail (the Russian guy) can be found in the parking lot doing something to Coach Oleander's jeep. I never found Benny myself. He said he wanted to join forces with Dr. Loboto so maybe he'll be a villain in future series :p

oh, cool... I checked the parking lot where Marlouf went earlier in the game, but I didn't check near the jeep. :D I wonder if Benny can be found... maybe in the Brain Tumbler?

I registered specificly to express my distaste for this idea. I think such a project would severely undermine his creative abilities. I see him more of a storyteller than a traditional game designer, and an MMO would just be a watered-down, empty shell of whatever it could've been. They always seem to me to be pretty empty, regardless of how well they're put together.

Then again, I have to say I just don't get it, not a single one has been able to hold my attention for more than a few weeks. I admit to being biased against the genre.

hahaha, I feel important. I compelled someone to register just to express distate for my idea.

I think that if anyone could pull it off, it would be Tim Schafer. I mean, I practically hate platformers, but Psychonauts is still awesome. It's not the genre that matters. I can't really think of any possible way the Doublefine could create enough content and implement the stories well enough that it would be better than any single player game, though. I mean, it would probably take up enough resources that any other games would suffer, or never get made, also.

I don't play mmorpgs. I have other games to play and, as I said, I avoid monthly fees like the plague. It's still an interesting idea, though, I think. I mean, online summer camp? That's just crazy.

Still, the job offering at Doublefine for a network programmer for a game, means that something involving multiplayer has to be in the works. I doubt it's a graphic adventure, but I could be wrong. I'm actually kind of hoping that the multiplayer aspect of whatever game it is, is just secondary. I like playing multiplayer games, but I like playing single player games much more because that's where the story is. Co-op stories can be fun too though. That's what DND was all about...not that I played it.

from http://www.doublefine.com/jobs.htm

"Double Fine is seeking someone who is looking to expand their current job responsibilities and tackle unique and creative online multiplayer experience challenges. Since new intellectual property is involved, there is a need for original and forward thinking with respect to the needs of the game design."

That sounds to me like it won't be Psychonauts, but it still could be, I guess. I don't know what "unique and creative online multiplayer experience challanges" could imply.

"Work with external vendors to develop solutions using and/or extending their online service SDKs, including, but not limited to, Xbox Live. "

Whatever it is, it will be on Xbox Live. Does Xbox live have MMORPG stuff? I haven't heard of any, but I dont' see why it won't, if it doesn't.(also, this probably means Xbox 360...when will that be out? Next week?)

"Pluses:

1) Avid gamer with a passion for creating top-quality games, particularly multiplayer online games"

That really doesn't reveal anything...only reaffirms that fact that whatever it is will be "multiplayer online." That does make it sound like the game will be totally online though...not like a multiplayer element of a single player game.

also, this probably means Xbox 360...when will that be out? Next week?)

There's gonna be a preview on MTV on May 12.

I'm very split about MMOs. On the one hand, I think they have a future and playing together can be nice. On the other hand, I get pissed pretty easily and having to endure some people's idiocy in a game is not something I'd like. Also, I wonder a lot what happens when a company goes bankrupt or decides to change the content in a way that I don't like. Everything depends on the server you can connect to.

• 1 year later...

Archived