Home

Automatic dll Downloads

KMG

Well I've recently started working on modding. One of the first things I wanted to do of course was create console commands (awesome alliteration). I put some in g_svcmds but then I realized that those aren't really accessible to clients except on like a listen server. So of course you need to edit the cgame, right? Now I haven't really started doing that, and I'm pretty sure I can figure it out, but I immediately thought "but hey, I want my mod to be server side only!" I remembered seeing new console cmds in other mods, then realized that the game automatically downloads dll files. Before then I hadn't realized why mod directories and stuff were created upon visiting a server-side mod like JA+ or Lugormod (I was dumb, I admit, learn something new every day). So now I'm thinking, "is this automated? If I edit certain parts of the cgame will it just send out dlls to clients? Does it send the ENTIRE cgame? Or do only certain critical parts get sent out? If so which parts, or do I need to DO something in order to make it do this automatically?" Answers to these questions would be a great help, please, I beg for knowledge.

I'm a bit hazy on exactly what you are asking. Correct me if I'm wrong.. are you saying that when you join a modded server, the server automatically sends you its cgame and ui? If that's what you are asking, then no. The cgame and ui you are seeing in the mod folders that are automatically created are basejke cgame and ui. The engine places them there by default. They are needed to run the game for you because you are running the game out of that folder, not base. If you are editing g.svcmds, thats purely serverside, I believe. You shouldn't have to edit cgame for code to work in that file.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I've been busy.

Anyway, to answer your question, to create new console commands, you only really need to change the server side of the code. Meaning, as long as the server has the new .dll, things will work fine.

However, unless you add the command to the cgame, it won't show up on the autocompletion list of commands on the client side. But, that's pretty minor because even Raven didn't do that for a lot of the server commands.

If you need more help on how to do cvars, check out the Q3 tutorial on the subject at Code3Arena.

Archived