Home

Fave Book

jon_hill987

Originally posted by The Hidden One

The War of the Worlds (unabridged version) By H.G. Wells

and

The Time Machine by (unabridged version) by H.G. Wells.

Two very good books.

You, sir, have very good taste. :cool:

I would probably have to pick Day Of The Triffids by John Wyndham as my favourite novel. I've read it so many times and never got tired of it.

Favourite novel series would have to be The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.

Originally posted by StormHammer

Favourite novel series would have to be The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.

I really couldn't get into them, I only got halfway thriugh the first book.

Anyway I forgot to add the Diskworld books by Terry Pratchett.

There's supposed to be a new Thomas Covenant book out soon, although I'm still trying to figure out how that's going to work due to the ending of the last one...

The "Gap" series by the same author was also very good.

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

and

LOTR which i've loved since childhood.

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant

I just about got through them, and really WANTED to love them... but they were very hard work. I like them better in hindsight than when i was actually struggling to finish them.

But i don't really have a lot of favorite books in the way i have favorite movies. Not sure why. I tend to get really absorbed in whatever book i am reading at the time... but very few of them stay with me after i've finished them.

I think a lost of my (bad) memory is visual, and its mainly the images i remember from films and so on. SO that might be it.

wow this is hard, to isolate even just a few....

let me go by genre :p

History : its a Turkish book, about the rise and fall of the Osmanli(Ottoman) Empire

Movies : "Lynch on Lynch" awesome interviews with director David Lynch about every aspect of his career :)

Fantasy : any of the Drizzt Do'Udren books, especially the Dark Elf Trilogy and Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A Salvatore

Star Wars EU : Traitor by Matt Stover.. makes Zahn and Thrawn look like a Garfield comic :p

Sci Fi/Humour : Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Art History : The Lives of the Artists by Giorgio Vasari... this guy was Michelangelo's apprentice and tells interesting tales about all the famous renaissance artists.. great read !!

Weird : Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll... so much much more than just kids books as true admirers of Carroll's work surely know..

Mystery/Detective : The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...... Fave story : The Red Headed League

Poetry : Emily Dickinson, Ovid, Dante's Comedia

Play : you all should know that Shakespeare's Macbeth is the most awesome play in western history, Hamlet trots in a close second :)

Oriental : "Journey to the West" by Wu Cheng En(China) Read the original tales of Monkey and The Havoc in Heaven :)

and

Tale of the Genji (Japan) : Part Fantasy/part History : Just awesome !!

European : The Illiad & Odyssey by Homer, Faust by Goethe, easy

Philosophy : "Thus Spoke Zarathrusta" by Friedrich Nietszche ... the man who coined the term "metaphysical consolation" to describe the concept of religion...awesome...

Non Fiction : "The Black Magic Rituals of Jack the Ripper" by Ivor Edwards and "Letters from Hell" - a complete collection and analysis of the Ripper Letters

hit the library suckers !

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Play : you all should know that Shakespeare's Macbeth is the most awesome play in western history

Matter of opinion. I prefer Romeo and Juliet. Because it's not a tragedy, it's a tale of happiness.

True they both die, but it's not a tragedy as some think. They die to be reunited, true devotion.

After that I like Caesar and Hamlet. Tales of betrayal and mistrust. You'll most likely see allusion to these in the upcoming Star Wars film as well. :p

yeah, I love all Shakespeare... Macbeth however is soooo awesome, with its witches and crazy people that theatre actors of old would never use the word Macbeth, for fear of jinxing their production... it would always be called "The Scottish Play" ...

coolest vesrion of Macbeth that made itto the screen - Akira Kurosawa's "Throne of Blood" check it out !

mtfbwya

Originally posted by InsaneSith

About 7 years too late to recommend that to me. I'm afraid I've already seen it, though it has been... 7 years. :p

geez your a wanker sometimes.... I saw it in 1988(where I taped it off the foreign language channel!!), and Im sure theres others here that may have seen it even earlier.... I would have loved to have been around in the 60s and seen it then :) There was a Kurosawa festival here a few years back, and I had the divine pleasure of seeing Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortess, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Ran and Kagemusha on the big screen :) awesome !

It came to mind because it has only recently been released locally on DVD, in nice crips presentation, much nicer that the Criterion DVD :)

to anyone else reading, check out "Throne of Blood" by Akira Kurosawa, its a really great adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth to a feudal Japanese Setting...

mtfbwya

Originally posted by toms

I just about got through them, and really WANTED to love them... but they were very hard work. I like them better in hindsight than when i was actually struggling to finish them.

The first time I read them they were hard going in parts (I know I got Lord Foul's Bane not long after release in 1977, so I was 10 at the time), but for me the world just came to life. I could 'see' the locations and characters vividly in my minds eye as I was reading. At the time when they were released, they were also 'different' from other fantasies in that they never mentioned Elves, Dwarves or Orcs (although the tale was obviously inspired by Lord Of The Rings).

Since then I've read them a few times (last time it was the whole series in order from start to finish), and I appreciated them even more. I know they're not to everyone's taste, though.

Originally posted by StormHammer

I know I got Lord Foul's Bane not long after release in 1977, so I was 10 at the time

I'm supprised you even got past the first chapter at 10. I found it much harder than LotR, which I first read at 12.

My favourite would probably be Neuromancer by William Gibson.

LOTR - hmmm the story was awesome but the actual book wasn't that great. I sort of consider it a flawed masterpiece, JRR's imagination skills didn't match his writing skills (although that didn't stop me from reading the hobbit/silmarillion/lost tales :) ).

Magician - I still think Feist was amateurish when he wrote this and it shows. Especially his character of Jimmy the Hand, god I hated him. Pug was awesome though. The characters themselves weren't that interesting to me, everyone was too perfect. No one had any flaws (well, almost no one). What also made me angry was that his best character (pug) had a somewhat diminished role in the 2nd and 3rd books of the riftwar series. I did hear that the Serpentwar Saga was better than the riftwar saga, I'll pick it up from the library in a few weeks.

O.o An intelligent thread in the swamp, what has the world come to?

Not counting Tolkien stuff, I'd say H2G2 are my favourite books, in this order:

Resturant at the end of the Universe

Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy

Life, the Universe and Everything

So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish

Mostly Harmless

Archived