JA v`s ROTS

rut-wa jodar

which is more entertaining  

18 members have voted

1. 1. which is more entertaining

• Jedi Academy
    • Revenge of the Sith (XBox/Ps2)
    • both are good

I think you pretty much hit it right on the head. I've only played MP and about 20 seconds of singleplayer (don't want to spoil myself too much!), but from that I feel that the ROTS does a much better job of capturing the feel of the lightsaber. I find the duels to be much for fun and cinematic as well as a bit more involved, as there seems to be many more moves (read: combinations) and a lot less of running around a swinging a glowstick. I haven't played around with the force as much, but it seems pretty decent as well. As for singleplayer, you can mow down battledroids easily, and I think it captures the likeness of the Jedi (in terms of movement, etc.) better than the Jedi Knight series.

That being said, they really are different animals. JO/JA is a FPS/TPS, and ROTS is very much a hack and slash. JA obviously provides more freedom in terms of where you go and the decisions you make. Also, it has FFA, CTF, and things of that nature (and has Kyle Katarn, big time plus :) ). So there is enough variety that they are both worthy Star Wars games and each are fun in their own way.

I think for the gameplay/combat system, ROTS is superior, especially in duels which is really the only place where you can do a direct comparison. But I'm still new to it and I'm not really taking into consideration the "skillz" factor or whether people want grip-kicks. I just think it captures the feel the best. The gameplay is designed around the saber, as opposed to trying to add them to a FPS engine that isn't really designed for it (Not to say that the JO system is poor).

I'm really interested in what others have to say...

They are both AWSOME games. The only bad thing about RotS is that it doesn't have grip. :'( Some cool thing you can do with the force are use force hold ((Lift an enemy in the air)) and use lightning on them, then send them flying back to a near by wall.

Originally posted by Kurgan

So in the ROTS game, what is the MP like?

From what I have played I'd say it is most similar to Soul Calibur and the like. The Force is a added onto that "model".

I mean, can you do anything besides 1 on 1 saber dueling?

There are some co-op levels, but no FFA, CTF, or things of that sort.

Also you might want to point out that JA is modable (on the PC), but ROTS can't be (console only).

That would have taken ROTS to new heights...

Lack of depth hurts ROTS the most methinks. More duel characters would have been cool (oh my god, where's Maul?!).

The game also has a distinct lack of content. It would have been cool to have the bonus missions/co-op missions contain some unlockables and such (something other than a jillion art images :rolleyes: ), or to have a "challenge" mode in MP duel whereby you fight a ladder of CPU controlled opponents, with some kind of cool unlockable after defeating all the characters. It's the lack of these kind of things that really hinders the replay value of the game.

But despite all that, it's a cool game, the lightsaber battles are far more cinematic than the JK series in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

I viewed a strategy guide for ROTS. It looks like you only get a half a dozen skins to choose from (all Episode III related). The modes are Duel and Coop.

So MP-wise it truly lacks the variety of JA or JK2. The question is... are the saber & force battles "better" than their equivalent in JA/JK2?

The graphics LOOK good (but this is based on screen shots, the actual performance may vary) and the models more detailed than JA, but I could be wrong (those could just be "cutscenes" they're using for closeups of characters). ROTS is a newer game, but it was built for inferior hardware. Then again a game like Soul Calibur (on the DC for example) has AWESOME graphics because all it has to do is render two guys and a background. Whereas a game like JA has tons of people flying around with their guns blazing and force powers flying in huge maps.

My question is.. can you do online play with ROTS? (so you have your own camera view like JA) or is it always people playing on the same machine?

Archived