Home

ROTS Opens at Cannes Film Festival

Astrotoy7

ROTS will be opening at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival as I type !! (May 11)

It is also believed that GL will be given the festival's achievement award....

I'm looking forward to see what reviews come out :) ...i'll post em as I find 'em :)

mtfbwya

unjustified????

http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep1.php

:p

You're right though, this one has been getting mostly positive buzz... even kevin smith liked it, and he pretty much crucified the first one in the clerks cartoon series. (don't read his review though, its spoiler city from the second line. )

The first two did both get fairly positive buzz at release as well, it was usually on repeated viewing that people went off them.

I thought it wasn't on at cannes till the weekend? 15th Maybe?

Originally posted by jon_hill987

Well Though I agree with some of that (the bit about scrubbing down R2D2 mainly) most of that was total unjustified. If you don't like a movie don't watch it.

Boy!! Did everyone have a sense of humour failure all of a sudden? I wasn't serious... note the smiley anyone?

While that guy takes it far to far (its only a film after all) its hardly fair to call people's problems with the first film "unjustified prequel hate" either. I suspect everyone could find a few things on the list that they'd agree with.

BTW, If you want a non-sw-geek perspective Empire mag did a "best 50 star wars moments vote" and only 7 of them were from the prequels.

Still, here's hoping that the "made two sucky films to set up the third one to look good" theory of sithy turns out to be true... ;) We definately wouldn't want any story or explanation in ep 3 after all, just things blowing up and cool fights!!! :cool:

Originally posted by toms

While that guy takes it far to far (its only a film after all) its hardly fair to call people's problems with the first film "unjustified prequel hate" either. I suspect everyone could find a few things on the list that they'd agree with.

I agree there are some parts that are crap, but that's a problem with all Star Wars films.

What I'm talking about is "omg, you like teh prequels... gaaaaay"

People saying the prequels so far are nothing but complete crap, is in itself, complete crap. Look at the big picture, the prequels do their job. Episode III is to fit more in line with the OT, it's a fun thrill ride not bogged down with explanations. But even then people ask questions. And to make sense of it all Lucas devoted the first two movies to get the details out of the way so you knew where it all went and how it all works, without having to bog episode III down with such details as well.

ANyone see the pics from cannes? I like natalie portman's new haircut!

_41148387_cast_afp.jpg

more details, including

Lucas said he never intended for there to be six films.

"The other sequels were the result of an over-anxious press," he said.

"The original intention was to make three, and that was really the end of it.

"It was not until 10 years after the first that I thought of doing a back story."

Doh! Seriously though, he's like a politician, i wish he'd make his mind up!

also, (with spoilers!!!)

New Star Wars movie 'a bloodbath'

Should please all the 14 year olds! :D

and finally, for a change, reporter's log of the Star Wars Day marathon of all six films thats going on in london today. I tried to get tickets, but firefox let me down... :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4545753.stm

additional scary picture:

lucas_portman_wideweb__430x247.jpg

and food for the senate?

The appreciation of the film appeared to go beyond its entertainment value and even its significance as the final instalment of a series that has become part of popular culture and defined sci-fi filmmaking.

Many appeared to be cheering its references suggesting a comparison between Darth Vader's evil Empire and US President George W Bush's administration.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

Much of the dialogue revolves around the transformation of a democracy into a dictatorship, and a politician's use of a fabricated war to increase his hold on power.

At one point in the film, Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi who becomes Darth Vader, even warns, "You're either with me, or you're my enemy."

The phrase echoed Bush's ultimatum made in 2001 in which he said "Either you're with us or you're against us in the fight on terror."

Lucas told reporters that when he wrote the original Star Wars at the end of the Vietnam war he wanted to explore the issue of how a democracy turns into a dictatorship.

"When I wrote it, Iraq (the US-led war) didn't exist ... (but) the parallels of what we did in Vietnam and Iraq are unbelievable."

He acknowledged an uncomfortable feeling that the United States was in danger of losing its democratic ideals, as in the movie.

"I didn't think it was going to get this close. I hope this doesn't come true in our country."

Although he didn't mention Bush by name, Lucas took what sounded like another dig while explaining the transformation of the once-good Anakin Skywalker to the very bad Darth Vader.

"Most bad people think they're good people," he said.

Others in the audience, though, were content to watch the movie as the middle chapter in the six-part series Lucas first brought to the big screen in 1977.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Today/2005/05/16/1041465-sun.html

stuff to talk about on all fronts!

Originally posted by InsaneSith

<_<... What?

HE's said in repeated interviews that he "always meant to make 9 films". Then he changed it to "always meant to make 6 films"... even though it was obvious he was making it up as he was going along. NOw he's saying he never meant to make more than the original three... like a politician i tell you!! :D

HE's said in repeated interviews that he "always meant to make 9 films".

Because he didn't think he could fit the story into 3.

Then he changed it to "always meant to make 6 films"... even though it was obvious he was making it up as he was going along.

Not really.

NOw he's saying he never meant to make more than the original three... like a politician i tell you!! :D

Read first.

He slotted nine because he wasn't sure he could fit all the detail he needed into 3 films. He found out he could make it work, scrapped the 9 bit.

Besides, he's a rambling old man that confuses himself with numbers. Though he only has himself to blame, what with the backwards production and all. (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. :p)

Perhaps he did mean to make 6 films, but he never really considered it until after people asked him if he'd detail the backstory that he had noted down when writing the first three. *shrugs*

It's weird how Lucas is one of the only cinematic figures to ever have people hang on his every word like it's the breath of god. :p

He's old, hell I'm 18 and I ramble like a schizophrenic, drugged out, 80 year old.

Alright, listen up. I have just won an SMS Quiz and... won tickets to the India Premiere of SWE3ROTS. That will be May 19th 11:00 pm.

Now, I am possibly one of the first ten forum members to catch Episode III.

w00t! :D

Kudos to Konar for clearing the fact that Maul blinks only once. I owe this to him.

Archived