Home

How we go to this point in SciFi!

A few moments ago, I watched the last "Star Trek" tv series come to an end. While it was around, I checked in from time to time. Just like KOTOR II, I had a negative/positive oppinion about that franchise. One day, the Star Wars movies and games will come to an end. KOTOR II is a product of a long journey, which started about 27 years ago. At the moment, the problems with this game has faded away in my opinion. I could careless about its flaws now. Not because it is helpless to wait for a fix, but because there will be a day that there will be no more Star Wars games. Obsidian took up the reigns from BioWare, and they have given us their version of the second part of the story. Some of us will like it, and some of us will not. When it is all said and done, and many years latter, we will either apprechiate their effort or we will simply forget what they did. At the end of this up coming summer, two thing will be certain about KOTOR II and Star Wars. One being, they were apart of our Star Wars experience. The other, we will gain a better perspective to the Star Wars franchise.

For many years, I have been a 'Trek', 'Wars', and now 'Gate' fan. Every once and a while, there will be a game released, which will captivate hundreds of fans. No doubt, KOTOR II is one of those games. As the final "Star Wars' movie gets ready for release, don't forget where this all started, for someday it all ends...

What KOTOR II, Star Wars, and Trek has done can bee seen across all these forums. At ObsidianEnt, LucasArts, StarTrek.com, LucasForums, and Pcgamemods.com there is something happening, which derived from the philosphies that stems from this form of entertainment. Something that many of us don't stop and think about. They bring us together. Instead of being seperate, we who are devirse in creed, gender, nationality, ages, eithics, and econimics gather in these places to share an experience. Through our individual perspectives, we have developed a unique commanality. We are all human...

first amen second what made you think of that:confused: third who says starwars is gonna end maybe the movies but the books and games are gonna be here awhile and one day we will be sitting around tell our grand children about every thing we learned about our selfs and fellow man just by having a common intrest in some aspect of our lives and not a day goes by when i don't think of all the people i know just because of a common intrest also it makes you wonder just how big is the world since the internet because people half a world away can have a conversation with out being face to face

I could not have said it any better, MacLeodCorp.

I thought about posting a thread about the end of Enterprise, but I was much too depressed at the time.

As I think about the ending now, with the Enterprises flying off and their captains giving the now famous "Space, the final frontier..." speech, I relize this is not the end. Sci-Fi will continue. Star Wars and Star Trek will come to an end one day, but they will be replaced by new shows to captivate the youth of that generation. Just as Jules Vernes inspired others who would in turn inspire the next wave of writers, Lucas and Roddenberry will do the same.

All good things come to an end, but new ones take their place, untill they too end. It's the cycle of life. It is how we grow and change as a species. We are constantly evolving and learning to be better than we are.

Star Wars and Star Trek are far from over. Star Wars has two new televison series in development. One is anamated and one is live action. I have also heard that the next Trek movie is in the works, albeit in the very early stages. An new Trek series is also likely. It will not be for a while, but according to Brannon Braga it will happen eventually.

Originally posted by MacLeodCorp

What KOTOR II, Star Wars, and Trek has done can bee seen across all these forums. At ObsidianEnt, LucasArts, StarTrek.com, LucasForums, and Pcgamemods.com there is something happening, which derived from the philosphies that stems from this form of entertainment. Something that many of us don't stop and think about. They bring us together. Instead of being seperate, we who are devirse in creed, gender, nationality, ages, eithics, and econimics gather in these places to share an experience. Through our individual perspectives, we have developed a unique commanality. We are all human...

And that, my friend, is the essence of Star Trek. Star Trek and my father are to be credited with who I am. They both taught me morality and hard work.

As I look at humanity to-day, I am saddened, because we as a race can be so much more than we are. I hope that one day, the dream of Gene Roddenberry will be relized. Untill that day, we will be incomplete.

Although Lucas has said this is the end of Star Wars, I do not believe it. I believe that if nothing else he will sell the company to some young guy who can make the episodes VII, VIII, and IX. (Thats 7, 8, and 9 for those of you who can't read roman numerals :p;) ). I also heard a rumor about lucas announcing a tv series, but i hope that is false. I think that a tv series would ruin star wars. That is my opinion.

Originally posted by DarthMoeller

........ I believe that if nothing else he will sell the company to some young guy who can make the episodes VII, VIII, and IX. (Thats 7, 8, and 9 for those of you who can't read roman numerals :p;) ). .....

From what I've read at the StarWars section of this site, his daughter may take over. Lucas has said he will make 7,8,9. He has also said that he will not. It is more probable that his daughter will take over than anyone eles, if he does not make them himself. That is if they are made at all.

Only time will tell.

When Roddenberry passed away, Star Trek continued for another 10 to 15 years. What the last episode of "Enterprise" reminded me was, there were no other Star Trek show that carried the opening. The Original Series and Next Generation opennings were added to the show by Roddenberry himself. Yeah, someday Star Trek will be back, but no Star Trek won't be back. Roddenberry's philosophy will carry on in some form or manner, but it will never be exactly the same.

Roddenberry was mostly intrested in the human experience/condition. He also wanted to make money, but what drove Roddenberry was to bring a message that told the world, "We are better than what we appear to be. Regardless of our deversity we must better our selves.".

Lucas's message is "We are a deverse culture, but we all have two sides. It is what you do with those sides that could ultimatly save or destroy you."

Someday, the movies will be gone, through Lucas's philosophy. Someone else may take on the reigns to continue, but the philosophy will be quite different. I can actually see Star Wars become more like "Trek" where they start to look at what makes a good humanbeing fall, or what strives a humanbeing to do good. The Human Condition!

-------------------------------

Star Trek II: -

The ending was quite clear: "Possibilities!"

Star Wars could never kill off a main character in a way that reflects self sacrifice for the many, and make it stick in such a manner that it "Echos" even today!

Spock: - "Ship out of danger?"

Kirk: - "Spock you save the ship!"

Spock: - "I never took the Kilvorachimarou. What do you think of my solution?"

Kirk: - (Speachless)

Spock: - "It is logical."

Kirk: - "Spock?"

Spock:- "The needs of the many..."

Kirk: - "Outway the needs of the few."

Spock: - "Or the one... (Lift hand in Vulcan greeting) Live long and prosper."

Star Trek is not for everyone. Star Trek is based upon English Literature, Fables, and Greek Philosophy. There are other literary connections, but the above I mentioned are the most pronounced. In Star Trek, they base their stories around the human condition, but from a deverse perspective. They usually dedicate storyarchs on an alien's culture, politics, and philosophies. Within Star Trek, politics, cultures, and philosophies collide. Star Trek has, by the end of 2007, Eleven Movies, and 700 tv episodes, five series, and a short tv series based upon the very first Captain Christopher, and a OTS Cartoon. They are talking about another series, but it will not premeire untill sometime in 2008. More humanoid alien based. Designed to please people who are highly educated and/or military in nature.

Star Wars is not for everyone, I like Star Wars, but I use it as an exscape from Star Trek. In Star Wars you only have six movies, and a few specials based upon: Jedi, Sith, Ewokes, Republic, Empire, and Cartoons. Within Star Wars there is a universal government and boundries in deversity and cultures are never explored. Star Wars has a philosophy of Good vs. Evil. Star Wars has been dominate in the game world. Deverse in alien culture, but it does not get into specifics in movies. Designed for people from every walk of life.

I may have gotten these details wrong, but I am sure I am close!

------------------------------------------------

When watching the movies, and tv series, the cultures that you are intensly exposed to are:

Star Trek:

1. Vulcan

2. Romulan

3. Frengi

4. Humanity

5. Klingon

6. Zindi

7. Borg (Mix Species)

8. Dominion

9. The Founders

10. Marquie (Mix Species Group)

11. Bajorin

12. Cardasion

13. Andorian

14. To only to name a few...

(Within the world of Star Wars movies, books, and tv series, each culture is explored politically, philosophically, culturaly, and moraly.)

Star Wars:

1. Jedi

2. Sith

3. Mandalorians

4. Republic

5. Empire

(Within Star Wars book, movies, and lack of tv series, you never get into species specific cultures, philosophies, politically, or moraly. You just have Good Vs. Evil, and all the boundries are allready covered.)

Star Wars is entertaining, but it doesn't have that sense of logic that Star Trek has. What is Yoda's species? Where did Yoda originally come from? Who was Yoda's master? What is Yoda's culture like? Up until Eposode I, there was very little talk about the 'Metaclorians'... What are they? How do people convince them to allow you to move objects? Why are they the key to the force? Obese are resistant to the force. Why are they resistant? Do they have a culture, politics, or sense of being?

As you can tell, Star Wars doesn't get into the specifics. Thats why people like Star Trek, for it is closser to our own reality than Star Wars. However, Star Wars is great because it is an excape from reality.

Sci-fi in general is in decline (and its being replacd by Harry Potter, of all little bastards). A nice little decline, but hopefully it won't just die off overnight and leave us with lack of morals. And maybe it'll come back someday when we need it. Or maybe it'll get popular again before it can die completly.

Archived