Home

Playstation 3

Acrylic

Boy do I love making next-gen console threads.

And I figure it's appropriate now, since E3 is coming up, and that I have some thing in form of pictures and news to contribute.

Before everyone pisses their pants in excitement, no pictures of the PS3 yet, but something cool.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/14/news_6124579.html

Apparently (sp?), there are these on bus-stops through out LA.

Notice the somehwat cut off button designs, and Welcome chang3

Basically implying to welcome the PS3.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought the PS2 right when it came out.......then a year later bought the XBox when the price dropped. I'll probably be doing the same thing this year if the PS3 has that internal hardrive i've been hearing about that Xbox has ommitted from their system.

Originally posted by KBell

I bought the PS2 right when it came out.......then a year later bought the XBox when the price dropped. I'll probably be doing the same thing this year if the PS3 has that internal hardrive i've been hearing about that Xbox has ommitted from their system.

Xbox 360 will come with a 20 gig HDD that you can upgrade.

Considering the graphical power will be similiar to the Xbox 360 I think with a G70 varient and what capabilities that may come along, I might go for a PS3. Xbox 360 doesn't have much interest to and some of the titles will be PC games for me, but not much on the line up, only a few games so far. I'm more excited to hear what Sony has to offer to the table. :)

Bleh, I'll be getting Xbox 360 anyway. Comes out earlier, I like the games, Final Fantasy guy, and I like suporting an American company

So you come along here just to say you're getting an Xbox and add nothing to say about the PS3? I prefer a company to take their time on the console. :) Also, ATi is a canadian company aswell as some of the internal parts that are foriegn.. ;) Lastly, last time I checked, Final Fantasy was mostly Playstation..

Originally posted by TiE 23

Bleh, I'll be getting Xbox 360 anyway. Comes out earlier, I like the games, Final Fantasy guy, and I like suporting an American company :p

*Runs to anti-anti-Gates bunker*

TiE

... Why would you come into a PS3 thread just to post that unless you're expecting a reaction? Seriously atleast try and add to the conversation.

Anyway, I'm curious about the PS3's capabilities. Is backwards compatibility for sure or what?

Originally posted by jokemaster

To everyone who says they're getting XBOX 'cause it's american. 95% of the parts are probably built somewhere else, and the XBOX was built in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Japan, China, Korea, Canada, and Mexico. Production is supervised by microsoft HQ in US.

Originally posted by jokemaster

To everyone who says they're getting XBOX 'cause it's american. 95% of the parts are probably built somewhere else, and the XBOX was built in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Actually, I could care less. I don't want a freaking "Made in USA" sticker on it, that would just make it worse. :p

TiE

For me, it depends entirely on the types of games that will be available on these consoles. I mean, I'd only really be interested in 3rd person (not 'platformer' style) games, RPGs, and possibly first person games where the emphasis is not so much run-and-gun (I prefer mouse/keyb for FPS).

At the moment the only titles on X360 that interest me are...

Condemned (slower-paced, exploration + melee + some shooting)

Gears Of War (3rd person fragger on UE3 by Epic. If I don't upgrade my PC by then, the Xbox360 version might be an option)

The Darkness (just going by the trailer, but I'd need to see actual in-game gameplay as it's supposed to be first person)

I'd need to see at least 10 titles that really interest me before I'd consider getting that console.

I have no idea what's in the works for the PS3 at the moment - hopefully there will be news coming out of E3 in that regard.

At the moment I'm more seriously contemplating getting a bog-standard Xbox now the price has come down and there's a greater choice of game titles I might actually want to play. :p

Originally posted by Tokarev

Considering the graphical power will be similiar to the Xbox 360 I think with a G70 varient and what capabilities that may come along, I might go for a PS3. Xbox 360 doesn't have much interest to and some of the titles will be PC games for me, but not much on the line up, only a few games so far. I'm more excited to hear what Sony has to offer to the table. :)

Word from "an annonymous games developer source who has access to both dev kits" is that the PS3 blows the Xbox 360 out of the water as far as power goes.

But then the xbox is coming out so far in advance of the others that its almost certain they will be more powerful. Several people have made dreamcast comparisons, though i don't think MS will let that happen.

None of the XBOX games announced yet look very original, just graphically boosted sequels. And i have had a serious lack of Japanese Tactical RPGs since Nintendo stopped getting any of them. grrr...

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000203043552

A "leaked" thing of pictures and specs for the PS3.

If you ask me, I think it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Plus, no DVD compatibility would be a big mistake on Sony's part.

Someone posted a link of a Blu-ray recorder that looks exactly like this:

http://www.ps2nfo.com/news/Blue-Ray_Recorder.jpg

Which looks huge.

Also, the controller looks like s***. Like a heart with 2 handles coming out of it.

So, let me be the first on Lucas Forums that this is FAKE.

:)

EDIT: I'm really not feeling well, and staying home from school, and I had a dream that the PS3 looked exactly like a PSP. A handheld, and that I was the only one in the world that didn't like it. Everyone else called it "brilliant". o_0

The site is completely blocked, but is it black brick with one round edge and a UMD slot?

-Edit: Holy Crap! I agree with Acrylic, but that looks like some cheap ass DVD player! (Maybe it is?)

Disclaimer, disclaimer, yadda yadda. We’re kind of hoping these pics aren’t legit because frankly, we’re not feelin’ the love for the design. But we digress! The specs that accompany these shots are saying the Sony PS3 will have wireless controllers, a 160GB hard disk, 1 CELL processor running at 4GHz (pumping out 256 GFLOPS worth of power — getting close to 1.21 gigawatts, here, folks), ethernet port, USB 2.0, memory stick duo support, and will read Blu-ray disks only. Backward compatibility for the older systems won’t be via the drive mechanism, then, but will be achieved via emulation in the CELL processor itself, providing retro compatibility with both PS1 and PS2. Controllers will be very similar to the PS2 controllers, plus add wireless. All of the above will be seen in the first line, to be released in Japan in March 2006, with a second version to follow in late 2006 that will be sporting a 400GB hard drive. The rev2 will also apparently be able to record TV shows on Blu-ray disks (like we said: disclaim, disclaim…). More nitty gritty specs via the read link, and another pic after the jump.
Pfft, and how much will it be? Hmm?

TiE

Archived