Home

Playstation 3

Acrylic

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

For those too lazy to click, I'll sum things up.

-The official name is the Playstation 3.

-It's coming out in 2006.

-It will be backwards compatible to the original Playstation.

-It will use Blu-ray discs.

-"It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz."

-It will come with a 2.5 in detachable HDD.

-Out of the box, it will have capabilities to support 7 bluetooth controllers. Why not an even number like 6, or 8, I don't know.

-6 USB slots. 4 in the front, 2 in the back.

- Of course, it will have the cell, which runs at 3.2 ghz, and will give out 2.18 teraflops of performance. (Isn't that like, double what the Xbox 360 can do?)

-It will also have multimedia features.

That's about all, from that link.

Can't wait for pictures!

BIG EDIT: "Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today."

SWEET! o_0

EDIT : Notice it didn't say 1080i. That's 1080p. Now, if people don't know, those HD's go for a lot, I'm sure, as I haven't seen any in any Best Buy ads...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope its all real, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. a 160gb harddrive AND a blue ray burner? And I'm not liking the design much either...

Cha-ching!

My guesses:

CPU: $400

GPU: $500 - $1000?

HD: $200

Blu-Ray Drive: $200?

Blu-Ray Drive (If burner instead): $500?

Case and Everything Else: $100?

Controller: $50?

Brand Spankin new MGS: $70?

Total (GPU $750 and No burner): $1770

Sell Price: $1000-$1250?

So, now all of those boys around the world won't be able to play Jak 4 cause their parents nearly had a heart attack when asked if they could get a $1000 PS3. Pfft, my mom hardly let me, my bro and sister get the Xbox when it was $200.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure, but I remember seeing somewhere that the PS2 has the youngest users, then the GC, and Xbox has the oldest. So PS3 will not do as well because of the possible high price (Way less kids) and the whole thing of good Japanese 2d strategy games will not be acepted in the new generation when Chaos Theory graphics are minimum.

Yah, lookin great, for 20+ yearold gamers who don't mind eating nothing but Ramen for a month.

TiE

TiE, seriously, quit being so ignorant. They didn't unveil the price yet, and you're making stupid assumptions. I know Sony is going to try and compete with Microsoft, and they can't do that by releasing a $1000 console.

It won't be the cheapest console, that's for sure. But hell, I wouldn't mind spending an extra $50 or so for a PS3, if that's the case. Its specs are wayyyy better than the Xbox360's. So, I'm sure it'll cost more at initial release, but not THAT much.

EDIT: 8389731317563729.JPG

There's what it will look like. I'm not too fond of it, to tell you the truth. But maybe that's just me.

EDIT: More pics..

39ry.jpg

ps3.jpg

Now, it's okay, but in terms of design, X360 looks better.

ps3-3.jpg

Here's a pic of the back of the console.

Meh, it's starting to grow on my, but still, I wish it was a different design. And I hope it has that glossy PSP look to it...otherwise it'll be fugly.

Nintendo changed the DS's design after criticism, maybe Sony will do the same?

EDIT: And here's the supposed controller.

050517i6hv.jpg

Gross. There's no way I'd want that.

I'm guessing a price range of 350-400.

The PS3 looks alot better than XBOX360 IMHO. Except the controller looks more like it belongs on a plaque on my wall like bullhorns rather than a controller. :|

Still, who can deny the next gen goodness.

the whole thing of good Japanese 2d strategy games will not be acepted in the new generation when Chaos Theory graphics are minimum.

Who the hell told you that bull****?

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Who the hell told you that bull****?

No one told me, and thats just my opinion.

The PS3 looks okay, little less than the 360. But the controller, yuck!

^^IMO^^

TiE

Originally posted by TiE 23

The PS3 looks okay, little less than the 360. But the controller, yuck!

It's how I feel.

But oh well. I have a feeling the Revolution will probably kick both their asses (x360 and ps3). But we won't know until tomorrow.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

The controller looks like a curved double ended dildo.... :(

You sir, have gone boldly were I would have gone, but stayed to keep good taste. :p

Basically, I was thinking the same thing. :D

TiE

Originally posted by Acrylic

Gross. There's no way I'd want that.

Because we all know that consoles are to be judged by how they look. :rolleyes: Anyways, sorry, I just get annoyed when people judge consoles by pure specs and looks.

IMO, both of the designs are leaning a bit too much to DVD players and PCs.

Originally posted by jokemaster

Because we all know that consoles are to be judged by how they look. :rolleyes: Anyways, sorry, I just get annoyed when people judge consoles by pure specs and looks.

IMO, both of the designs are leaning a bit too much to DVD players and PCs.

Look, if I was judging the original PS2 by its looks and specs when I was deciding which next gen console to get first, it would have been the last one I would have gotten. But I loved the games on it.

Now, I can live with the PS3 design, it's not SOOO bad, but I mean, the controller, to me, is HORRIBLE.

All my opinion though.

Actually, it think looks do have a major effect. A lot of playstation (and ps2) appeal was built on their stylish design. ANd i'm pretty sure the "kiddy purple" look of the GCN hurt its sales in the US where they like things more manly (like the xbox).

But in the end its usually down to a random combination of factors like timing, games catalogue, extra features and star games. Its pretty impossible to predict.

Looks like the PS3 will be majorly more powerful than the xbox360, but arrive later. I think the question of whether the xbox360 becomes the next dreamcast or the next ps2 will depend on how many games it can get out there before the other two launch.

--------

Consoles are never expensive!

The actual costs of components don't affect the sales price, as the seller will take a loss if necessary to keep it down. MS was taking huge losses for every xbox sold.

Plus, this is sony were talking about, they'll get most of their components for 1/10th the price you would pay in the shops.

The ONLY time when they might release it significantly more expensive than the competition is if they are including significantly more features... such as a big hard drive to allow it to work as a tivo. Doesn't look like they are though.

An SD slot????? :eek: :eek:

I'd have bought sony products years ago if they didn't insist on those stupid memory sticks! though why they decide to include one on a console and not their PSPs or mp3 players is beyond me...

6843941284095828.JPG

I can't believe I was so quick to judge the PS3. I think it looks beautiful. So sleek, so sexy, so curvy. I guess I just had to see a "live" shot of it.

The black PS3 is the best looking IMO.

PS3 design > Xbox360 design.

Is it just me, or does the black PS3 remind other people of the PSP just a tad? :D

Edit: I got my mind made up. When I get the PS3, I'm definately getting the black one. Maybe the white one, if it's uber sexy like the black one is. choices, choices...

I still don't like the controller though. Maybe it'd look better in glossy black?

Archived