Home

:[

RoxStar

I am very sad now. I went to the Doctor's office on Monday complaining of asthma symptoms and a cough that never went away, as well as frequent urination and thirst. The Doc did some blood tests and frowned at the results, so she tested the machine again to make sure it was working. It turns out I had a blood sugar level of 573. So I went to the hospital and apparently I have Type I Diabetes. I went through the training and learned how to test my blood sugar and giv myself insulin. So now, it seems, I am on the Low Carb diet the rest of my life. :(

Originally posted by Dave Grohl

I am very sad now.... I have Type I Diabetes. I went through the training and learned how to test my blood sugar and giv myself insulin. So now, it seems, I am on the Low Carb diet the rest of my life. :(

sorry to hear that Dave :(

Diabetes is a life changing condition, that is certain, especially Type I diabetes. My gf is a type II non insulin dependent diabetic, as she was only diagnosed 3 years ago...

Part of my job as a physical therapist is actually in a Diabetes Health Promotion unit. If there is anything you need to know, feel free to PM me.

Make sure you see a dietician if you havent done so already, and get yourself into a regular exercise program which includes strengthening as well as endurance/aerobic work. We actually have a treadmill right in our living room at the moment for this very reason !

I also recommend you join a diabetes support group, its always good to hear and share experiences about things....

remember, feel free PM me anytime. I deal with this stuff everyday, and I'll do anything I can to help out a fellow swampie :)

btw here is a linkie for the American Diabetes Association

It is a great site, and may have some info on services/groups available in your home town. There is even a message board :)

mtfbwya

My aunti has diabetes and is looking extremely skinny and wrinkley. I don't think anyone deserves the same fate (though she is above age 50 and verging on the upper end of the life-death spectrum).

It must absolutely suck. Best of luck with it :).

* can't understand why people can't get pancreas transplants (like using embryos and the like to grow them). That would ultimately only be the cure I think *

Originally posted by Konar

* can't understand why people can't get pancreas transplants (like using embryos and the like to grow them). That would ultimately only be the cure I think *

Diabetes Website

Type I diabetes, also called juvenile diabetes, occurs when T-cells of the immune system mistakenly recognise insulin-producing cells in the pancreas as foreign and destroy them

If I had a new pancreas, my body would still attack the insulin producing cells in the new one.

The nurse was telling me about inhalable insulin, much like an inhaler for asthma, but that it is still many years off.

Thanks for the warm words. I'm pretty confused, but I've seen a dietician and I go see my "Diabetes Care Team" tommorow.

I have Type I as well, and yes, it does suck, but I got used to it eventually. And you aren't really restricted to low-carb for the rest of your life - ask your doctor about Lantus/Humalog (what I use-take a shot according to what you eat) or an insulin pump.

The worst short-term thing about it is going low-it's like being hungry and passing out at the same time: I went down to 45 on Monday and almost collapsed.

I know that sounds really negative, but it's really not bad at all - just another thing to get used to. Good Luck!:)

Archived