Home

Who's winning so far?

So, who do you think is winning so far in the next-gen race?

I personally think PS3 is winning the race currently, simply because of it's specs and because it's games look amazing.

XBox isn't looking so good, the games aren't looking that diffrent to me.

Revolution is behind because it is so under wraps.

Playstation 3 has Killzone 2 which looks amasing. But XBox 360 has games like Halo 3, Project Gotham Racing, and Gears of War. While Nintendo Revolution has Super Smash Bros.

And, who else is watching the G4 coverage? (yes, I know G4 sucks, but come on, it's E3.)

Originally posted by Lion54

X-Box is in the lead just because it will be first.

Maybe, if you want to look at it that way. But that also means XBox could be rushed.

An interesting article I read today at IGN says that the XBox 360 alpha demos have been running at 1/3 power of the "real" XBox 360's. Interesting. This could change things.

And, yes, I'm a huge nintendo fan as well, but if I didn't give the others a chance, I would be a console fanboy. :p

Besides, PS3 games are lookin pretty darn good to me. :eek:

^^^^^^^^^

Well, at the least it will have a jump on sales. Thats what i was getting at.

And its not that I'm a Nintendo fanboy, I prefer my CPU to consoles. I grew up with Nintendo and and now I buy it mostly for Zelda and (Hopefully) a great new Mario game. Although, that didn't happen with GC, I hope it will for Revoulotion.

I think Nintendo would sell the best if they could get rid of their "kiddy" status.

The X-Box is the "cool" console. The PS is probably "less cool" than The X-Box, but it's still cooler than Nintendo. At least, thats my take on the image of each company.

I'd say X-Box 360. My mom read an XBL article about it and it sounds like they're going to make makeing mods easy, and it's on X-box! So you could probabley release your own downloadable content, I also hear that the internet for it will be great.

Originally posted by DarthMoeller

Although I don't know too much about PS3, I have to say XBox 360. It is going to revolutionize how gaming works. It's definately going to be the next 'must have' for any gamer.

:rolleyes: I hardly see how Xbox 360 is gonna revolutionize anything... It's basically the same old thing with better graphics.

Powerful? sure. Cool? perhaps. Revolutionary? Hardly.

So far Nintendo has revealed minimal details, but people are really excited about it. I think if the big N plays it's cards the right way this year, they'll definately come out ahead.

But as of now, I'd say it's pretty even between Microsoft and Sony. Basically, I beleive Playstation fans will stick with Playstation and Xbox fans will stick with Xbox. I don't think these 2 new consoles have what it takes to make fanboys change camp ;)

Considering the specs on ps3 and xbox360, I dont' see how Sony or Microsoft could sell them at any price that could be anywhere near reasonable for a console. The only way they possibly could is by taking a huge loss on every console...none of that "$4 loss" stuff...I'm thinking more like hundreds.

Revolution could reign out just by having the exclusive titles that have carried them from the beggining, and by being cheaper, which therefore makes it more accessible. Innovation doesn't hurt either.

I think releasing xbox360 so soon is a mistake too. They are basically spitting on all the people who bought the first one, by stealing a whole year of games from them. Microsoft is pretty good at spitting on people though. Also, anyone reminded of Dreamcast? But, they might win out just because they are microsoft.

The ps3 looks sweet, but that's pretty standard for sony.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

Nintendo hasn't finished with us yet... they've been purposely misleading us... more information will come veeery very soon ;)

The Revolution is about to begin.

Don't do that. You make me jittery. :D

Definitely the revolution. You don't know a lot about it, but it still looks amazing. I like how you can download N64, SNES, and NES games right onto the machine!!! Plus you can play Gamecube games!

People don't seem to realize that the Gamecube and Nintendo are the only companies in the console race still making solid profits from their games and consoles.

I don't think you should count out any console. I think this will be one of the biggest console battles in history.

Originally posted by DarthMoeller

Although I don't know too much about PS3, I have to say XBox 360. It is going to revolutionize how gaming works. It's definately going to be the next 'must have' for any gamer.

How in the name of Zeus' BUTTHOLE is it revolutionizing anything?

I say revolution, simply because it's innovative and it's going to have a ****load of awesome games for it simply because of the 'download old games' thing. I swear, if they make it free, or cheap enough, GOOD BYE SOCIAL LIFE.

Nintendo has said that they may be bringing back some old mascots like Kid Icarus back into the mix on the Revolution. Also, there will be a new Nintendo franchise on the Revolution, brand new, never seen before.

Zelda Twilight, it has been confirmed that it will have a simultaneous worldwide launch in 2005.

Originally posted by BrainPr0n

Price will set them apart methinks. Speculation of a barely sub $500 PS3 versus what will prolly be a $299 Xbox 360 puts the 360 in a very good position.

The processor in the Xbox would sell for more than $299 retail. I mean, the expensive apple power pcs don't have that kind of speed yet.

The ps3 processor would sell for a lot too. Cell processing is uber sweet.

IBM is kicking every other processor maker in the face.

It has been a very long time since consoles really outperformed pcs. Still, I think Nintendo is out to prove that obscene hardware stats are less important than good games(and milking franchises for all they're worth).

I don't really care about how these consoles look, or even what hardware resides within them.

I'm more interested in what they will deliver in terms of games and 'other features' - and so far, both X360 and PS3 have their pros and cons.

I'm interested in the games being developed on both of those platforms, some of which look stunning and seem to be offering some compelling gameplay experiences.

Nintendo doesn't really interest me at the moment, because none of their games (or game franchises) really appeal to me. Most (and no, I didn't say all) of their games seem to have cartoon-like or anime-style characters, which do nothing to spark my interest. I've never been a fan of Mario, or Sonic, or Zelda...

That is why I think Nintendo have dropped the ball so far - not just because details of the Revolution were lacking, but the games lineup they showed in their presentation was uninspiring. There seemed to be nothing aimed at 'mature' gamers (ie, 30+ like me), with darker, grittier, more realistic settings and characters.

I'm also not interested in any of the handhelds from any of these companies.

Depending on cost, the X360 and PS3 will be on my shopping list. That's saying something, because I've never been a console player. There were a few titles on Xbox that interested me, but not enough to warrant buying that console. Now, however, there is a solid lineup on both of those platforms - and possibly enough that I will switch my major gaming needs to console, and get fewer titles on PC.

The Xbox 360 to me doesn't look as impressive for game line up and the whole rush to be first looks like it may be a set back for them, but I'm just waiting it out to see how M$ plays their cards... For me, the line up is with PS3 which definately gets my vote not to mention the backwards compatibility along with it. I just can't wait to see it roll out.

*looks at comments made about Nintendo*

For anyone who thinks Nintendo doesn't have darker and grittier games and will continue to only make "cartoony" type games...

The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - http://cube.ign.com/objects/572/572738.html - Don't let the name fool you. It may sound strange but it's bloody good.

Geist - http://cube.ign.com/objects/566/566897.html - Nintendo's getting back into the FPS scene with this exclusive title.

Also, there are a lot of third party games which are aimed at mature players... people just assume that because the majority of Nintendo's games aren't aimed at mature players only (nintendo likes to make games that ANYONE can play), they get turned off the start to think that Nintendo only allows kids games or some crap like that.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

*looks at comments made about Nintendo*

For anyone who thinks Nintendo doesn't have darker and grittier games and will continue to only make "cartoony" type games...

The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - http://cube.ign.com/objects/572/572738.html - Don't let the name fool you. It may sound strange but it's bloody good.

You must have missed the part of my post where I said Zelda didn't appeal to me. Also...it's an anime style cartoony character, and all of the footage I've seen looks 'cartoony' as well. :p

Geist - http://cube.ign.com/objects/566/566897.html - Nintendo's getting back into the FPS scene with this exclusive title.

Already checked it out, and while the basic premise seemed good, the execution leaves something to be desired. Additonally possessing pots of paint or barrels to 'explode' them isn't really my 'thing'.

Also, there are a lot of third party games which are aimed at mature players...

I haven't found any that appeal to me so far, but I must admit I haven't looked very hard.

people just assume that because the majority of Nintendo's games aren't aimed at mature players only (nintendo likes to make games that ANYONE can play), they get turned off the start to think that Nintendo only allows kids games or some crap like that. [/b]

Wrong. Like many others I'm fully aware of the wider audience Nintendo has tried to attract over the years - and I applaud those efforts. But I have yet to see any really compelling titles to attract me* to any of their console systems.

If Nintendo comes up with a showcase of interesting looking titles for the Revolution (that suit my personal tastes), then of course it would spark my interest in that console.

However, they missed a key opportunity to do that at E3. Much of what they said in that conference was 'wait and see' and 'take our word for it'. Sorry...but I need a damned sight more to go on than promises. If their system isn't ready...then say so and unveil it at the next E3.

* this is purely a matter of my own personal tastes.

Archived