Home

The Official Swamp Episode III Thread ! *Spoilers*

Astrotoy7

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mike Windu

I do wish they explained more about Sifo Dyas in the movie, but eh...

Why he's not of any importance to the drive of the story.

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Question: What is... "the 1138" >_>

There has been a 1138 in all the movies, in reference to Lucas' film "THX 1138".

about the Syfo Dias issue...

I read that he was actually the first one before dooku to be confronted by sidious to become his apprentice and to order the armies of the republic... when he refused siduos cut off both his arms then split him down the middle and then force tornadoed him... when dooku became his apprentice he was the one that ordered the armies under the name of syfo dias but did not know they were for the republic... it was a whole plot by palpantine since day one.

thanks for clearing that up.. i have to read labryinth of evil some time...

Her fate is revealed in the Star Wars: Obsession #5.

yeah and i'll read that as well. I was just wondering if u saw her in the movie, i swear i saw a pale faced, bald woman at the grievous scene i mentioned.

Originally posted by Prime

It is explained in full in Labyrinth of Evil.

Her fate is revealed in the Star Wars: Obsession #5.

cool. thank Prime :) does she die ! yes or no ! use tags if you like :)

Mikeski 1138 is an homage to George Lucas first feature film THX-1138. Mark Hamill put into his lines in ANH and its been a little tradition to include it in the movies ever since.... somewhere in the movie trivia thread Sivy explains where they all are :) those cheeky buggers at Raven even managed to put one into JA :)

mtfbwya

Well, I loved it. :D

Not all my friends did, tho... (amongst the SW fans, I mean... the non-SW fans haven't seen it yet. XD)

Amusing illustration:

http://www.ocregister.com/multimedia/star_wars/

Go to "The reactions" and click on Video 2 (also titled "The reactions"), fast forward to the second interview, and watch for the girl in the white Leia outfit (no buns, she let them down) walking by and pointedly shaking her head. XD

(Yes, I was also there when the video was filmed... but I didn't make it on camera, so don't bother guessing ;))

Most people I know really liked it, tho... =)

Also: I am so behind on EU. x.x

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

cool. thank Prime :) does she die ! yes or no ! use tags if you like :)

Dooku abandons her and Kenobi and Anakin think she is dead. However, she survives and leaves to get away from everything. That is all we know.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Because Anakin was confident in his new powers, he felt he could leap over obi-wan, and then HE would be at an advantage, fighting down on Obi-wan, driving him towards the lava.

Well, I looked at it more like this:

Anakin and Obi-wan each know each others moves, and anticipate each other's moves (shown when they are in the elevator). And Obi knew Vader was thinking about doing it, which Obi knew exactly what to do when he did jump over him. But Vader, blinded by his hate and the "betrayal" by Obi, which you're opinion of him thinking too much of his newly gained dark side powers comes into play, and he then doesn't take the advice of his once master, which if he wasn't blinded, he would've known Obi knew exactly what to do.

That's how I thought about it anway >_>

A couple of things:

20-year Death Star construction:

I'm sure the 2nd Death Star was started before the first was fully completed. There was probably a plan to have several of them.

Of course, Sideous can forsee the future pretty well, and since he said "Everything that has transpired has been according to my design..." it's possible that he forsaw the destruction of the first Death Star before it happened.

Besides, just how much time is supposed to take place between ANH and ESP?

Leia and mom:

Leia's memory of her mother probably comes from pictures, films (holograms) and the memory of her from the people around her. She was probably told some things about Padme growing up.

Luke was probably not told anything (at least anything true) about either of his parents growing up. This accounts for thier differing memories.

Ani one with the Force:

The Light Side Of The Force seems pretty eager to forgive Anakin at the end of ROTJ for him to appear besides the others in Luke's vision. He did a lot of very bad things, and it seems too easy to let him off the hook just because he threw Sideous down a well. But then that wouldn't be a mythical-type ending.

He did fulfill the prophesy however... it just took him several decades to get around to doing it. The only thing I can figure is that it was to show Luke that balance has been resored to The Force, and to make him feel better about losing his father, who he really only just met and never really got to know.

However,.. him saving Luke at the end does take on a bit more resonance in the light of this movie. He did everything he did and became what he was to save his wife and child. Finding out that his child was alive would be the only thing to bring him back to the light. If he really believed he was the one to kill Padme, there is no way he could sit by and let his child die, especially at the hands of the master who manipulated him and turned him into what he became.

Good stuff.

I dunno why everyone is so confused at that scene.

Obi Wan said basically that the fight was over. He was on the high ground. Ani was on the lava. Don't do it. Don't jump. I don't to fight you anymore.

So Ani jumped and got his legs boinked.

End. :p

i dunno why i said boinked >>

Originally posted by edlib

Leia and mom:

Leia's memory of her mother probably comes from pictures, films (holograms) and the memory of her from the people around her. She was probably told some things about Padme growing up.

Luke was probably not told anything (at least anything true) about either of his parents growing up. This accounts for thier differing memories.

People should note that the force can be used to see the past and the future. ;)

Originally posted by InsaneSith

.. We even see Leia crie as Padme dies. It's possible that she picked up a bit on that....

sithy, it's not unusual for newborn babies to do that !! Surely that wasnt a master stroke of GLs directing ability :)

of course, some shots of the babes were CG of course :)

mtfbwya

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Jeeeez, it seems like some of you will find anything to nitpick.

It was an amazing movie. Nuff said.

It'd be a rather short, boring and biased discussion thread if no-one was allowed to mention anything that they might not have liked.

While most people here, even those that have dared to express small nitpicks and queries, seem to think its a great film, its been getting pretty mixed reviews from the wider "non-sw geek" world. So its hardly the perfect film with nothing else to say.

With everyone else gushing over the good bits, it doesn't seem unreasonable to focus on the other bits. That doesn't mean i'm loosing sleep over them though...

I'm not hugely bothered by the droids memory bits or the minor continuity problems with leia's mother etc... after all its a fun story and those sort of things are bound to pop up occasionally. I will say that Obi-wan did seem to know the droids quite well... but then he never actually SAYS that he didn't remember the droids in ANH. YOu would think R2 might have told 3po that he recognised all these people though :D

There was a scene in which we heard Yoda and Qui-Gon talking. It had to be cut.

That would have made more sense. Maybe thats why that scene felt a bit rushed/crammed in to me, because of the editing. I was actually expecting Qui-gon to show up at that point or something, but it just ended.

---

The problem i had with anakin wasn't his fall TO the dark side, whihc i thought was handled pretty well, up to and including the bit where he cut off mace's hand. Even at that point he was all "what have i done??" which made sense.

It just seemed that the final step where he went from "what have i done?" to "i'll kneel before you my master and do anything you say" seemed a little swift. But ok, not to bad.

But the fact he went straight from reluctantly joining sidious to killing kids without regret seemed a little swift. I'd have thought he would at least of either hestitated, or killed them and then had regrets that palpie talked him out of. Just my opinion though.

----

Was it just me or did palpatine show a lot of almost paternal care for anakin?

I know he was trying to corrupt/convert him but if you consider that Sith lords aren't really that cosy with their masters/pupils (and often keep trying to kill each other) and that he didn't show much regard for the welfare of Maul or Dooku then in comparison he was very protective of anakin.

Sensing when he was in danger and rushing off to save him. Almost tenderly (for him) getting his burnt body recovered. Repairing him, etc... I'd have thought a sith lord would have been disgusted by the fact anakin had lost and got himself so messed up and killed him himself.

Unless of course it was always part of his plan to get anakin messed up, as i suppose it would make his fall complete, and make him easier to control and less likely to overpower the emperor and take his place.

They never really followed up on the virgin birth or the "free the slaves" seeds they planted in the first film.

Well, there was the line about the Sith Lords being able to manipulate the midi-chlorians to create life. In the book it turns out the Sith lord legend that Palpy was talking about was his own master, who he later killed.

It's not really explored in either place, but it's hinted at that it's possible that Anakin was created by the Sith... in which case Palpatine is his father in a way.

One of those loose threads... and even if it turns out to be a false clue, Anakin does represent a huge investment in time and energy on Palpy's part. Maul and Dooku were just temporary placeholders for Vader, who is the most gifted and powerful force-user ever, remember. A weapon like that is something you don't want to lose. And it seems all of Palpy's plans in the meantime require an enforcer like Vader.

Once he has the Death Stars, Vader's importance might start to wane. But before that he needs an apprentance he can fully trust to execute his will without mercy to help with the formation and administration of the new Empire.

Palpy does seem eager to unload himself of Vader in trade for Luke at the end of ROTJ though... I guess that's just the Sith way.

well it seems that i deleted a post of my double post while a mod were erasing the other so ill write the post again...:

So yoda told Obi Wan to go there to train with the help of the spirit of Qui-Gon (?) to be one with the force or to learn force living (?) so that if he dies in peace with himself he will become a ghost and will retain his identity?

and thanks for the info you post here, it took me 1 hour and a half to read the whole thread but now im getting more things :)

My bad ~ET

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

sithy, it's not unusual for newborn babies to do that !!

No ****. What I'm saying though is Leia cries EXACTLY as her mother dies. Perhaps with her tiny bit of force ability she was able to pick up on her mothers feelings and her dying.

Originally posted by toms

It'd be a rather short, boring and biased discussion thread if no-one was allowed to mention anything that they might not have liked.

While most people here, even those that have dared to express small nitpicks and queries, seem to think its a great film, its been getting pretty mixed reviews from the wider "non-sw geek" world. So its hardly the perfect film with nothing else to say.

With everyone else gushing over the good bits, it doesn't seem unreasonable to focus on the other bits. That doesn't mean i'm loosing sleep over them though...

Nitpicking isn't a problem, it's just some people seem to ignore things that could easily answer their questions. Or are too worried about everything being an absolute instead of just letting things be a mystery. I remember a lot of bitching about the "de-mystification" of the force by using the term midichlorians. So do you people want mystery or definite answers? :p

I LOVED the movie. Even though it made me cry a few times... but it was very, very good!! I liked it better than Episode I and II.

I cried really hard at Padme's funeral, and when after Anakin gets the Vader armor on and asks if Padme is alright. :(

Well, i have to say it held up pretty well on second viewing, a lot better than the first two.

Some of the dialogue was a little tricky to sit through a second time, and i wasn't as impressed by the opening sequence (guess the wow! factor was no-longer there) but on the whole it was pretty good.

Most of my mates who watched it were of the "excellent, but missing some of the magic of the originals and with the odd stupid bit" opinion.

Someone asked about digital projection vs normal film projection.

This time it was normal film and i have to say that there was a small difference, but you could notice it if you were looking for it.

It was probably most noticable on scenes where there was a lot goinf on in the background (like the opening space battle), where the digital version was just a bit sharper and clearer.

Its not as big a difference as DVD vs VHS or anything... maybe a bit like the difference between watching a DVD on a monitor or a TV. (slight pixel bluring).

PS/ I also realised that by far the worst performance in this film was Samuel L Jackson. Whats up with that? He's usually awesome...

• 1 year later...

best animation ever. worst actors in the history of the star wars movies (ewan mcgregor was like the only person worth watching). and not as believable or just plain exciting as the plot out of episode v (i dunno why, but that snowspeeder part in episode v is AWESOME). best saber action of any of the movies, and easily the darkest. as my uncle puts it, "you guys get to see the movies with great animation; we got to see the ones with good actors."

watch this clip:

[http://www.ugoplayer.com/animation/stickwars.html]

the stickfigure actors do a real good job of mimicking padme and anakin's acting in the movie.

Well, i have to say it held up pretty well on second viewing, a lot better than the first two.

amen to that (i mostly stood up to watching it again because of the animation). i was disappointed by samuel jackson, too, though he was much better than anakin and padme (the part where he's getting electrocuted is just pathetic, the way he pretends to scream). however, i really think you can see anakin's pathetic-ness in episode ii, when he gets his arm cut off. he gasps and falls over, then pretends to be out of breath. C'MON GEORGE LUCAS WE HAD FAITH IN YOU.

Archived