Home

Star Wars = Anti-Bush? More people jumping on the misinformed bandwagon. (spoilers?)

El Sitherino

http://pabaah.com/

Check a bit down.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1403562/posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/movies/MoviesFeatures/18star.html?

NY Times

About the only other things cutting against the "Star Wars" finale were its long running time, 142 minutes, and a bit of a backlash. That was mainly on conservative Web sites, which were reacting to the film's political jabs at President Bush and the war in Iraq, as when Anakin Skywalker, turning to the dark side, warns that "if you're not with me, you're my enemy."

But executives at LucasFilm and Fox said they were unconcerned.

"Nobody cares," Mr. Snyder said. "Is it pro-Republican? Is it pro-Democrat? Nobody cares. It's entertainment."

I'm curious as to what drugs these people are taking to form this conclusion.

The Kick The U.N. Out Of The U.S.A. Petition

OK, so the U. N. has been sorting out peace and democracy for years (it assisted elections in 200 nations last year alone) without anyone complaining, but then when it tries to tell the USA what to do, suddenly it becomes a horrific, imperialist organization?

Strange how the Neo-Cons shut up about this evil organization all the time it didn't affect them, then...:D. Sigh. Nothing like sad hilarity to brighten your day.

I sense another Dixie Chicks-like scandal coming up when it comes to Ep 3, though...

When will Hollywood learn? George Lucas and his intergalactic empire have now been added to our official boycott list. Sad...but necessary. A bigger Star Wars fan you'll never find...until now. Our country is at war and Lucas spouts off this crap?

Need I remind these idiots that the plot of Star Wars was made in the seventies?! What was Lucas supposed to do, re-write the whole thing?! Geez. Yes, I can picture Lucas sitting there in the 70's going "let's make this movie to bash this "Bush" fellow if he wins in 30 years... Hmm. Yeah, that sounds good"...

It's called a coincidence, people!

And what's a war got to do with it? Conflict doesn't make dissent evil, last time I checked.

Pabaah: Neo-Con blindness in a nut-shell:(. Again.

I can't wait for 2008:mad:...

New movies to boycott:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

What the F[...]k?!:eek:

OK, now I'm not such a genius when it comes to the Hitchhiker series, but I'm pretty sure it was written long before Bush "won" the election:rolleyes: .

And even if it was against Bush, is that such a reason to boycott it? There's anti-homosexuality in Legally Blonde, do I boycott it? No way.

I now have my doubts if that site is even serious in the first place (although it probably is, unfortunately)...

I wrote this little "letter" after looking at their site.

To: Pabaath's staff.

Greetings, fellow Servants of the Fatherland. I have for a while attempted to boycott French goods as suggested by your Web Site and that of certain other sites. It's the least I can do to protest against this awful dissent against our Glorious President George Walker Bush Jr., whom I am proud to serve.

However, I need to discuss with you certain problems I have been having with doing this. I am convinced that as you have no doubt put lots of thought into the idea of a boycott, you can surely help me.

First, it was my dumb five-year old cousin who cried for an hour when I threw out her Etch-a-Sketch (a French invention) before walking to the doctor's office. I tried to tell her that it was a machine of the enemy, invented by people who do not want the Americans well, but she wouldn't listen. Typical stupid brats.

Then, it was my visit to the local doctor's office. I of course have done my home-work, and refused to let her use his stethoscope on me. This hampered the progress of the examination significantly, so I hope you can now direct me to a listening device which is not of French origin. Oh, and please - and this is urgent - give me an alternative to pencilin! My health is rapidly decaying, but I can of course not use such French-invented drugs.

The boycott is also sincerely hampering my communication skills. Yesterday I ran into my liberal neighbour and we started talking about Bush, who he of course started whining about. I wanted to tell him to do some research on Bush before he went off and bashed him, but I can't - "Research" derived from the Old French "recerchier"! And I have to use Bush's first or middle name, without calling him "President", 'cause both "President" and "Bush" come from Old French, too!

Finally, there's the fact that my school keeps telling us how great the French are. I'm sick of hearing about people like Paul Revere (you do know he was half-French, right?) and other Frenchies who supposedly "helped" America in times of distress. So far my angry talks with the teacher, dean, and even principal have been unsuccessful. Can anyone help me make them listen?

I hope you can find a solution to my dilemma before I find myself forced to lift my boycott of French goods. I look forward to hearing from you, my fellow American Patriots™.

God Bless,

Øyvind Wallentinsen, a concerned Patriotic American™.

Sources

http://www.dictionary.com - Origin of words mentioned, such as "President" and "Research".

American Museum of Photography (http://www.photography-museum.com/primer.html) - Albumen photography was invented by the French Louis Desire Blanquart-Evrard.

http://pacs.unica.it/biblio/lesson7.htm - The French Laennec, a student of Napoleon's doctor, invented the stethoscope.

http://www.etch-a-sketch.com/html/history.htm - The French Arthur Granjean invented the Etch-a-Sketch, which he called the "L'Ecran Magique", or the "Magic screen".

I'm not going to send it to them, and it's too rushed anyhow, but it's not too bad, I think... Just something I wrote for the Heck of it:p .

This is just dumb.

I saw something about this on Fox News the other morning and they seemed torn about it... on the one hand I'm sure they wanted to denounce Lucas and the movie as weenie liberal America-hating anti-Bush propaganda,.. but on the other hand they seemed to hold back, probably cause a new SW movie stands to make the Fox parent company a LOT of money.

It's a movie folks... pure fiction. If you choose to read more into it than that then perhaps it seems that it might just be your own guity conscience talking. ;)

Let 'em boycott it all they want... It will make it easier for me to get a seat! :D

... and it's still gonna make a zillion dollars without them anyway. :dozey:

Well, this is pretty obvious. George Lucas went ahead in time to look at the news, went back in time and wrote the script in 2002 just so he could piss of the Bush supporter in his last StarWars movie.

Ah! I guess we're the a**holes now.

And now for everyone's favorite least popular candy! Kit Kats!

c_nestle_05930.jpg

mmmm, give me a break, give me a break, give a break of that Bull**** bar!

:rolleyes::p

TiE

Please. If Bush even tried to start a dictatorship, NONE of the politicians would support it. After all Bush isn't a Sith.:rolleyes: And besides, the next president that doesn't like these laws like the Patriot Act, he or she will repeal them as soon as possible.

Please. If Bush even tried to start a dictatorship, NONE of the politicians would support it.

Of course not. I mean, it's not like all these dictators in the past have started dictatorships without being questioned:rolleyes:.

Because the Sith aren't evil enough?

:D

You misunderestimate the power of the Dork side of the Force!

It's a movie folks... pure fiction. If you choose to read more into it than that then perhaps it seems that it might just be your own guity conscience talking.

Not necessarily. Many seemingly innocent books and movies have some really deep political motives. "Gulliver's Travels", with the 6 inch tall "Lilleputians", is actually a satire piece. A strong one, too, at that. Not that it's considered one today, of course:p.

And now for everyone's favorite least popular candy! Kit Kats!

OMG, look:

"Kats" is four letters like "Bush"! it's got a "K" in it like Bush's middle name! And it's got an "S" in it like Bush's last name!:eek:

Originally posted by Darth Andrew

And besides, the next president that doesn't like these laws like the Patriot Act, he or she will repeal them as soon as possible.

That quote alone is proof how screwed up our own Republic is. It assumes both that the President is powerful enough to enact/repeal draconian laws at a whim; and that this is okay.

Some quotes:

"We live under the heel of the Patriot Act and in thrall to a league of latter-day über-Federalists who would put “an end to evil”—and to our constitutional Republic."

------ Gore Vidal speakin of Benjamin Franklin's warning that the Republic will erode into despotism when the American People give too much power to the Executive branch.

"So this is how Liberty dies -to thunderous applause."

--- Padme.

Originally posted by Darth Andrew

If Bush even tried to start a dictatorship, NONE of the politicians would support it. After all Bush isn't a Sith.

It could be argued that we are damned close to a dictatorship. And that few are arguing it in the Republican controlled House and Senate. I would also point out that the failure of democracies past have nearly always cooked themselves into dictatorships, and that "sith" isn't an ingredient of any.

Ever notice all the Terror warnings that occured during the campaigns whenever Kerry gained ground. Every notice one after the election? Think it's being investigated? Ever hear of the $8 billion sent to Iraq that was lost? Do you think it's being investigated? Ever hear of the 'irregularities' that occurred in Ohio with regard to electronic voting? Do you think it's being investigated?

Chances are, you never even heard of most of these and other items that are characteristic of dictatorships, but none are being investigated in the Republican controlled House and Senate.

After seeing RotS last night (early this morning), I must say I noticed many things that demonstrated similarity to our current and past governments in the United States.

That's not to say RotS wasn't a good movie or that its entire motivation for being was to make a political statement - it certainly wasn't. But there's nothing wrong with seeing a movie or live theater that can make us think.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

This however is not one of them.

The political motive may not be deep, but it's there. There were several times during the movie that I saw some very obvious criticisms of current government officials. For instance, there's a scene (no spoilers here...) where Palpatine announces that "if you're not with us you're against us," and either Mace or Obi Wan reply that "only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"Producer George Lucas says Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" has a political warning to the United States about how democracy can be endangered." -- Monster & Critic's Movie News.

I'd say this is one of those movies with some underlying political statements.

This is not some shot at Bush. That's not even something that can be credited as being created by Bush, it's been said by countless political leaders throughout history, Hitler especially. Who is one of the models for the emperor and vader.

Anakin saying that is not a subtle way of saying "omg, bush is evil like a sith lord". It's just mere echoing of history. There may be underlying echoes of current day politics, but it's not based on that, as the entire thing was designed in the 70's.

This cannot be seen as an anti-bush film or an anti-american film. Claiming it as such is foolish. History repeats itself, Lucas just happened to have fallen into a place where it did.

I'm not saying there aren't parallels, there are, but it was not intended. Which is why I say it's not one of those movies (stories) that Dagobahn Eagle is talking about. Those were specifically designed to target a single isntance. Star Wars is a timeless epic based on mythology and how good societies of working democratic republics become dictatorships. The keyword is timeless. There will always be a parallel of something in it to current day.

This cannot be seen as an anti-bush film or an anti-american film. Claiming it as such is foolish.

Then call me foolish. I think it was clearly a pro-American but anti-Bush film and that made it all the more enjoyable for me. Don't get me wrong, I think the anti-Bush themes were subtle and certainly not the dominant themes, and general in that "Bush" refers to would-be dictators in general, but they are present. The "with us or against us" example is but one of several. That line was most recently attributed to Bush & Co. and clearly intentionally placed in the movie.

Indeed, much of Lucas' work has been political, starting with THX-1138 (or whatever it was :) ).

I would definitely agree that the overall theme is timeless and that power corrupts/absolute power corrupts absolutely, but this is also definitely something that we should be mindful of in contemporary times. In getting that message across, Lucas used familiar devices like the "with us/against us" line.

This is not some shot at Bush. That's not even something that can be credited as being created by Bush, it's been said by countless political leaders throughout history, Hitler especially. Who is one of the models for the emperor and vader.

Congrats! You just played the Hitler card!

hitlercard.jpg

Don't use Emotion based arguments.

Use logic.

(Sorry.. couldn't resist.:p)

huh? The reason all this talk started is because lucas said the movie reflected his fears about bush and us democracy , so its hardly loony for either left or right to be claiming that the movie reflected his fears about bush and us democracy is it?

The quotes from lucas got posted in the senate a few days ago.

Lucas may wish he hadn't mentioned it now, but he must have known the responses it would get, so he can't really be surprised.

I think that its pretty lightweight references though, and you shouldn't allow it to spoil your enjoyment of the film (whether you like bush or not). Its not as if it is the central point of the movie after all! (ie: lots of stuff blowing up and gettig chopped up :D )

Archived