Home

Star Wars = Anti-Bush? More people jumping on the misinformed bandwagon. (spoilers?)

El Sitherino

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

Congrats! You just played the Hitler card!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/kipperthefrog/lotr2/hitlercard.jpg

Don't use Emotion based arguments.

Use logic.

(Sorry.. couldn't resist.:p)

Except I didn't play the hitler card. Lucas has said that was his model. Nice try though.

Originally posted by toms

so its hardly loony for either left or right to be claiming that the movie reflected his fears about bush and us democracy is it?

No I'm saying the people claiming it is anti-bush are foolish. The parallels are just coincidence. It was never intended to have politicaly based motives. Not some form of movie to get Bush impeached or anything.

He said it's reflecting his fears now, but when he made it, he had no intentions of making a movie with an underlying political motive with the intention of "attacking" Bush. He's saying it's creepy how close it's getting to being like the current situation. Meaning he didn't intend it.

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

But It was You who compared it to Hitler none the less.

Yes, but not to show the "evils" of something. He's merely stating that Lucas used Hitler as a model for Vader/Palpy.

Which is the equivalent of me saying President Bush is the model for my character Bresident Push.

Not necessarily evil. :p

Palpatine was modelled on a lot of historical figures, including Julius Caesar, Hitler and President Nixon.

If anything, the whole "Empire" thing was inspired by the Vietnam war to Lucas in the theme of the unjust war fought for reasons of political power.

Anyway, according to the Weekly Standard, the Empire are the GOOD GUYS, so I guess that means that if the Empire = The Bush Administration, then ROTS is PRO BUSH!

Sides, if they think Bush = Palpatine, doesn't that say more about their own view of the President than it does about Lucas if they automatically associate an evil dictator character with him??

Then again, we know the bad guys lose in the later movies, so I guess Lucas has turned Neo Con in the last 20 years! (I'm totally kidding here of course, I haven't even seen the movie yet and I know these guys are just up to their old tricks...).

They're either misreading the movie with wishful thinking (like the Weekly Standard's Jonathan Last) or they're just trying to get some attention with this new movie.

Face it, EVERY media source has gone ga-ga for the big Star Wars movie and has tried to grab another 15 seconds of fame from it while the hype goes on. I'll wait until the hype has died down a bit before I take any of this seriously, but for right now I'd take what they say with a large helping of salt...

but it was lucas himself who started the whole discussion by refering to it in an interview at cannes.

I doubt that if he had brought it up many people (cept michael moore fans :p ) would have made any connection.

I think he should probably have waited until after people had watched it before making those comments, as it might put some people with strong political views off what is basically an entertainment flick. But one can only assume he knew what the right wing and international press would make of those comments and wanted to get them into the arena at the time they would get the most coverage.

I don't think there are really any direct analogies to bush, just dictators in general. But its clear from his comments that lucas thinks bush/america is at the very start of the same path.

Originally posted by toms

but it was lucas himself who started the whole discussion by refering to it in an interview at cannes.

I doubt that if he had brought it up many people (cept michael moore fans :p ) would have made any connection.

It was after he was asked if he had any "inspiration" from the Bush administration. This Star Wars = Anti-Bush thing has been around for weeks before he said anything at Cannes. So no, he didn't bring it up.

much of the themes of the original SW films, were interelated with issues arising from the Vietnam War. GL has being using some of these themes for the entire saga. GL was relating Nam to Iraq, just to show how some people could interpret the movie as something anti-bush or otherwise. But i agree that these neo-con fanatics are just trying to jump on the SW bandwagon...

that website scares me..

So i hadn't heard about Ep. III "having" anti-Bush tones in it till before the second time i watched it. the first time i watched the movie I thought nothing of it, just that iw was a really friggin' awesome movie. Even the second time watching it, i really had to reach to think that George Lucas would put this in his movie to bash bush. I still didn't find it to be anti-bush. I think you people are just reading into it too much and can't enjoy a great thing. Everything always has to be controversal to you, and i pity you.

Archived