Home

Official Episode 3 Thread

Prime

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, here goes,

yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats just part of it.;):p

Obviously contains ep3 spoilers.

First off it is a damn good movie with the right star wars feel and it's dark as shyte.

But it does contain some fatally bad scenes that just grate on my nerves here goes:

4. Old man Palpatine makes Yoda jumps and is a lightsaber master of Yodas caliber... Yeah, yeah, you and Lucas can explain it in so many ways that he is equal to Yoda in the Force and all that jazz - I just don't buy it, that the old fart can do it (same goes for Dooku and his introduction jump over the railing... puh-lease)

3. The rushed naming of leia and Luke, 2 names out of the blue... it just felt tacked on and badly handled

2. Anakin goes from being a doubting Jedi to a murderous rabid killer of women and children in a matter of minutes. He is a doubting Jedi, he kneels before Palpatine, he goes to the temple and kills defenseless children... utter nonsense.

1. Vader rips off his restraints and makes the Frankenstein walk and roars an overclichéed "NOOOO!" - it's an homage but it really just screams "STUPID!" to me.

Fortunately it is by far weighed up by:

4. Aayla Secura

3. Bail Organas "Blockade Runner"

2. Yoda and Palpatine fight in the Senate, totally trashing the place and what it stands for (democracy and freedom) - very nice touch.

1. Obi-Wan chops off Anakins legs and arm and says "You were my brother! I loved you!" then the lava sets Anakin on fire. A really magic moment and one I've been waiting for almost 30 years.

Hmm, I thought Aayla was only in one part of the movie and that was when she was shot, by the Clones under her command who were following Palpatine's evil order to turn on the Jedi, BUT I haven't seen the movie just read the script.

F****** AWESOME.

Most definatly my favorite film of the series. A very somber film (I kept catching myself wanting to slap Anakin upside his head & scream stop).

I really liked the look on Anakins face when the mask dropped down, it was a WTF have I done look, maybe even a last bit of regret. Was damn cool. & getting to see through the eye pieces, ahhhh a dream come true.

Though I do have 1 complaint.....

Why no Qui-Gon? That really disappointed me just to hear "Contact with your old master, I have made...." This strikes me as a usual F-up Lucas editing job. O well hopefully a deleted scene on the DVD.

There is no more OT/PT. It is complete.

9.9/10

Originally posted by montnoir

1. Vader rips off his restraints and makes the Frankenstein walk and roars an overclichéed "NOOOO!" - it's an homage but it really just screams "STUPID!" to me.

That bit made me cring it was bad i was like thats bad i did like the bit when the mask was coming on..

Mace Windu death was cool.

Ewan did really well as Kenobie, i like it when he was telling him he was the chosen one and anakin was starting to burn and he shouted i hate you, good fight i did feel sad for the jedi when they started to get killed and i had a tear in my eye for padme thats just evil force chocking her!!! The twins names were rushed i thourght.

No Quin Gon Jin, i was hoping to see that and they cut some of the jedi temple, you should have seen some jedi masters like Shaka tai die but you didn't, but i liked it and seeing again to night with my family cant wait lol. :wan:

Hmmmm.... Seems like I'm one of the few who didn't mind the Frankenstein's monster walk. IDK, I guess the first step on a pair of prosthetic legs wouldn't be a real problem for most. I'm sure they'd get their balance & used to their new footing 1st step. ;)

The "NOOOOOO!!!!" I didn't even really notice if it was cringe worthy or not. I was too caught up in watching him destroy the lab & thinking about how everything he'd done was for nothing.

Star Wars is over....I have one less thing to look forward to :(

3. The rushed naming of leia and Luke, 2 names out of the blue... it just felt tacked on and badly handled
I can uderstand that.My sister decided her childrens names when she was like 12.

2. Anakin goes from being a doubting Jedi to a murderous rabid killer of women and children in a matter of minutes. He is a doubting Jedi, he kneels before Palpatine, he goes to the temple and kills defenseless children... utter nonsense.
I feel the same way...I would could understand him killing sand people,or even jedi,but younglings?Yeah right.

---My Complaints---

1.Palpatine had some terrible lines,like UNLIMITED POWWER!!!!

2.the actress who played padme wasnt very good.

3.I wanted to see Mace Windu do some real fighting,not just get shot out of a window

4.Dooku seemed to weak...in ep2 he was holding his own against master yoda,and in this one he gets pwnd by anakin???I just didnt by it

---Good Things---

1.Its Star Wars! It has to be good!

2.It had that Star Wars feel that ep1,didnt have.

3.Obi Wan was great.

4.You get to see Palpatine finally show off his mad skillz with a saber.

---Very Depressing/sad things---

1.Watching Yoda when the jedi were being killed....he looked soo...hurt...

2.the scene were Anakin is about to kill the young jedi..

3.watching the clones shoot the jedi in the back

4.Anakin choking Padme...That really took me by suprise..

5.Obi Wan having to kill Anakin...Obi Wan seemed more like Anakins father figure than brother...Imagine having to watch your own son in pain like that...

---Confusing thing---

Why did they bring back Qui Gon? Why would he of all people know the secret to immortality? If Qui Gon was that powerful why did darth maul kill him?

I'm so sad... that it's all over, but I'm glad to see Star Wars go out with a resoundingly astounding film.

Yes there were a few cringe worthy poor spots, but every movie has those, every movie I've seen has it's bad spots, but as RedHawke said it definetly didn't distract from the masterpiece that the movie was.

I for one thought that Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman did fantastic jobs, I've never been a Hayden as Anakin fan, but I must say that I thought he did better in this movie than the previous and he did a pretty good job. Although as soon as I saw that Anakin was the one who killed Windu I was PISSED at Anakin, I'll never like him again, Windu was my all-time favorite Jedi :mad:

In short the movie was fantastic.

I liked this one a lot.

Originally posted by maverick187

Although as soon as I saw that Anakin was the one who killed Windu I was PISSED at Anakin

IIRC, he didn't actually kill him, did he? He just cut off his hand, and Palpatine used force lightning to push him outside.

I've posted this elsewhere, but here are my views...

This movie exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. I still haven't absorbed it all, and it will definitely take multiple viewings to soak it all in. My head is still swirling, and right now I'll just put out some impressions...

My views may change, but I think it is clearly better than Return of the Jedi, and is on par with Star Wars and Empire. Certainly there is just so much more going on in this film visually, but I also found that the story was more powerful than I expected. This film is the anchor of the entire series, and there is very little fat on the story.

The acting was much better than I had anticipated. McGregor and McDairmid are exceptional. But Hayden was solid and Portman was better than in the earlier films. I don't remember any completely cringe-worthy dialog like the previous two. Part of that mey be that the characters have progressed to a point where they are adults and not teenagers. The Anakin/Padme relationship stuff was better, and I think it helped that it was fed to us in short scenes. Also, it did a much better job showing the strong friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin that is alluded to in Star Wars.

The battle scenes blow away anything else I've seen on film. IMO they are better (different as they are) than Return of the King, and away better than the end battle in Clones. Visually this film is just so overwhelming. The lightsaber battles were superb, and it is amazing how far the choreography has progressed. The opening scene on the cruiser were Anakin and Kenobi are fight off droids looks great as they are blocking blaster bolts. It just seemed more fluid to me somehow. Also, the settings and cityscapes are so unique and detailed looking. This felt much more like a fantasy movie (which of course it is ).

The other reason this movie was so good was of course all the connections to the original films. All the ship designs and clone/storm/scout trooper variations re-enforced that this was indeed the Empire. The declaration by Palpatine in the senate and the applause was excellent, and shows how far things fell by the time the Senate was abolished in SW. The final duel here will really make the duel in SW much more interesting as well. Even in connection to the other prequels were good, like Padme holding her little necklace from Anakin when she died. All good stuff.

I guess the biggest surprise was how much I was affected by certain scenes. Vader at the end was of course a big one, but all the little similarities like the sound of the helmet going on was great. But other things like Obi-Wan's heartbreak when he defeats Anakin, the execution of Order 66 and the look on Ki-Adi-Mundi's face when he jestures "follow me" and he turns around to see the clones, and the execution of all the Jedi. Just so sad.

There were some parts that I was disappointed with though. Nothing major, just a few minor things. I was a little disappointed with Grevious. I guess I just viewed him as being tougher after reading the novels and comics, as well as watching Clone Wars. But he was still decent. Dooku was killed off rather quickly, and the council members that went to arrest Palpi went out like punks. And I wish the final duel went on longer.

In the end, the thing I like most is how it makes the original trilogy so much more powerful. That final scene were Luke removes Vader's helmet has so much more weight behind it now. In the decades I have waited for this movie, I was not disappointed.

In response to other's comments...

4. Old man Palpatine makes Yoda jumps and is a lightsaber master of Yodas caliber... Yeah, yeah, you and Lucas can explain it in so many ways that he is equal to Yoda in the Force and all that jazz - I just don't buy it, that the old fart can do it (same goes for Dooku and his introduction jump over the railing... puh-lease)

Palpatine and Dooku are strong in the Force (Palpatine more than anyone). Yes they are old. So is Yoda. They have all been shown to have exceptional power like Yoda. Yoda has amazing abilities when he calls on the force. Why can't Palpatine and Dooku? The world's rules have been explained and what they do works within those rules. You can decide you don't like it, but it certainly fits within the context of the story.

Come on. He has been heading down this path since Clones. He did slaughter an entire Sand People village. He has progressed to the point where he feared for Padme, felt the Jedi had betrayed him, and had been manipulated for years by Palpatine. All that came to a head, and it is quite thoroughly explained in the film why he did what he did.

1. Vader rips off his restraints and makes the Frankenstein walk and roars an overclich�ed "NOOOO!" - it's an homage but it really just screams "STUPID!" to me.

I thought Vader's first steps at the end were spot on. The guy essentially has a brand new body. Why would people expect him to be able to tap dance right away? In that respect, he is very much Frankenstein, and I don't think it could be any other way.

Originally posted by Bastila

Did anyone catch want sidous called yoda before they fight a little green thing i cant remeber but i was funny.

Palpatine's line was "my little green friend."

No Quin Gon Jin, i was hoping to see that

I thought the resolution about Qui-Gon at the end was more than enough. Have him actually appear as a ghost would bring up the whole "why isn't he around in the OT."

Lucas 1 Doubters 0

I knew this would be the BEST Star Wars flick of all time. Lucas has developed an amazing decades long story on film for many generations to enjoy. Having seen NH when I was 15 in he 10th grade and seeing ROTS at 42 I am truly blown away at the way this series has touched every generation since its beginning.

A wonderful bookend to the story that left me with so many questons as a young teen. Seeing it all come together in this fashion was really nice, but it did leave me with a bit of an empty feeling.

I really hope that Lucas brings more of the 5,000 year history in the books to the silver screen.

The saber duels were really top notch. I felt the Obi vs Vader fight in the volcano was superb! Vader's over confidence leading to his maming was fitting. The burning body bit was in a way what we needed to see to really understand just how Vader became Vader.

I remember that look young Analin gave Yoda when he said that his future was clouded in Episode 1. Kind of like how he looked at Mace when he told him he was not going to be made a Master. When you look back it seems like he was headed in exactly the direction he took in the end. Great story.

I adored this movie. Really, lucas did good, though the following really got to me:

The beginning was a bit wooden. Don't get me wrong, I was knocked out by the battle, which was excallent, but it seemed a bit rushed in. Also, the diolague was a tad wooden. They just didn't seem into it. One part that just stuck out was when the ray sheilds come down and Obi-Wan says "Wait a minute...how did this happen? We're smarter than this!" That, to me, was vexingly pointless.

Also, what happened to Tarkin? Mon Mothma!? Just a quick sighting really isn't enough to introduce a character.

However, I must say that almost everything else in the movie was totally awesome. My favorite parts have to by the scenes with Palpatine, though. Especially the Mace/ Palp duel. The window shattering was a nice touch. The very first part of the movie, after the opening text, was also great. The drums, and the Star Destroyer, just oozed with vibes.

Luke and Leia's names out of the blue? Where the hell did 'Darth Vader' come from? That seemed more spontaneous to me. Anyway...

It's the best film of the six. Simple. Mostly because it's completely different from the feel of the other films. I constantly found myself thinking 'this isn't Star Wars', i.e. no muppet-puppet, dodgy sfx, wholesome family fun, saturday afternoon-style film; but that was the great thing about it; this was brutal, dark, edgy, moody and above all mature (I don't mean its rating, I mean its depth, etc).

It hit the perfect mark pace-wise - great action + great drama. Very impressed with the acting, considering the last two botches. Sfx was actually good for once.

Oh, and my hat off to Ian McDiarmid - bet he had tons of fun playing Palps.

one thing i really liked about this film is it shows the dark side in truth..

that is where the kotor series lacked, imo...travel the dark path? no problem, you're a hero anyway

travel the dark path for anakin? oh no, you don't save anybody...

also it kinda got me that palp told vader he killed his wife...yet vader never mentions this to sidious in the OT when he learns about luke and lea...you'd think he would react to the betrayal the same way..

Saw it again last night still got very sad at the jedi killing sceans i went with my mum and she got really upset about what happen to padme, still good to see again, and to see yoda kick ass again is funny, i've decided this is my favoruite star wars film.

Also the noooo by vader is not that bad now.

Originally posted by Prime The acting was much better than I had anticipated. McGregor and McDairmid are exceptional. But Hayden was solid and Portman was better than in the earlier films. I don't remember any completely cringe-worthy dialog like the previous two.
I thought Natalie Portman looked mostly bored in Ep3. She acted better in Eps 1-2.

There is the awkwardness in romantic dialogue "Hold me like you did at the lake on Naboo" *cringe*.

And I was saddened that Natalie Portmans role changed into the puny woman who is an emotional wreck, completely reliant on her man to make decisions. Gone is the strongwilled former-Queen, now decisive Senator from the previous movie(s).

And "she lost the will to live"? I mean WHAT?! No injuries whatsoever, no reason for her to die, except she lost the will. She has two babies now. Do they mean so little? Thanks mom, really, mighty nice of you...

Originally posted by Prime Come on. He has been heading down this path since Clones. He did slaughter an entire Sand People village. He has progressed to the point where he feared for Padme, felt the Jedi had betrayed him, and had been manipulated for years by Palpatine. All that came to a head, and it is quite thoroughly explained in the film why he did what he did.
He did slaughter the Sand People but they had raped and whipped his mother to death and she even died in his arms. It's completely different to slaughtering Jedi younglings, who look up to Anakin for help.

I agree with the theory. Anakin sacrificed everything to save the woman he loved. I have no problems with that. I just felt it wasn't "thoroughly explained" in the movie. It moved too fast and to quickly for him to fall so far, in such a short time-span.

Originally posted by Prime I thought Vader's first steps at the end were spot on. The guy essentially has a brand new body. Why would people expect him to be able to tap dance right away? In that respect, he is very much Frankenstein, and I don't think it could be any other way.
Wobbly steps on new cyborg legs could be made in a lot of ways better and less cheesy looking than the Frankenstein walk and the even more cheesy "NOOOOOOOO".

Speaking of cheesy "POWEEEER UNLIMITEEEED!" anyone?

Enough of the bad stuff. On to the goodies!

The intro I thought was superb, in some ways superior to the outro. Empty quiet space, two ships flying around, a rhytmic thudding that makes you wonder if it is music or something bashing inside a ship, then the two ships fly of the edge of a cruiser and straight into a huge battle. Awesome!

The triangle drama between Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme on the surface of Mustafar. Ending with Anakin making the Vader signature (force-choke) on Padme. That scene was actually perfectly acted by all of the three. It brought a tear to my eye. Bravo!

And of course "la piéce du resistánce" - Obi-Wan chopping off Anakins legs telling him "You were my brother." as the lava sets Anakin on fire and him screaming. The pain, the agony, from both, but especially Obi-Wan "I loved you!"... Epic!

Also the noooo by vader is not that bad now.

Just got home from seeing it again, this time really paying attention to the dialog in the scene & I don't see what everybody's talking about. It wasn't as bad as some make it sound.

:confused:

Great movie overall. I agree that the Anakin swearing his life to Palpy did seem a little rushed, although I will confess that I don't know how I would have faired any better.

Other than that one critique, I think the movie was incredible and well worth the wait.

Archived