Home

Episode 3

Have to agree with Nute on this, I might. The best of the 6 this very well may be. See it again soon, I must.

A true return to form for Lucas, this is.

If they like it not, then to hell can all the critics go.

To cease speaking in Yoda's fractured syntax, I seem unable. On me, that much of an impact this movie made.

Yep. ^__^;;;

I screwed my plans.

But only because we decided to watch the movie in o-tone later anyways.

Poor Anakin. :(

However, I'd say best of the "first" three movies, but not the best overall.

Beeeeeeecause: it's not as technological advanced or visionairy as the old trilogy. It's quite impressive and well done, but .. you know.. not ahead the time.

But the best thing is.. Lucas said he's going to make another Jndy movie now. Plus he definitly mentioned the names "Harrison" and "Steven" in that context ..

I'm still not sure it's the best of the six, but I know that 20 years from now, it's gonna be the one that my kids'll probably pick out of the set when they've only got time to watch one of 'em.

The award for best lightsaber duel still goes to Luke v. Vader in ROTJ, though... You really feel that the fate of the galaxy rides on that duel.

Saw it on Saturday. It was definately better than Attack of the Clones, which was definately the worst Star Wars movie. It did suffer from some of the same problems, however, such as Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman being the two worst actors in the history of the universe.

I'm not sure if it was better than Episode I. It's hard to compare them, being so opposite in feel.

Anyway, none of the prequels even came close to the quality of the original trilogy.

Some specific Episode III complaints:

The Wookies, and Chewie in particular, did not have to be in there. The universe didn't need to get any smaller. And the Wookie battle was pointless in a long movie that already had too many battles.

Mace Windu beats Palpatine? What the hell? No doubt Samuel L. Jackson's doing. Very stupid.

Did Palpatine really have to get "deformed" like that? That seemed kind of silly and was not needed. His look in Return of the Jedi was probably better left to the assumption that extreme use of the Dark Side was responsible.

Anakin's turn was way too abrupt and made no sense whatsoever.

Vader's NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - really stupid.

Also, this movie hardly needed to be rated PG-13.

Palpatine isn't deformed. He now is showing his true face and he just tells the Senate that he got "deformed" by a Jedi attack because he can't go around saying "using my incredible Sith powers, i was able to hide my real appearance but I don't need to do that any more"

yeah i thought the change in his face was ok, except for the stupid klingon forehead :)

Nah overall it was a great movie with a few cheesy parts, probably the second best star wars movie in my opinion beaten only by jedi (yeah im the only one that doenst like empire very much)

Now that the inital glow of the movie has worn off a bit, I can can sit back and think about it a bit more objectively.

I still really like it.

Personally, I believe it's better than ROTJ overall. Maybe not quite as good as ESB, but perhaps on par with ANH (although that movie still holds a special place for me that this one can't ever hope to fill...)

Had this movie come out back in the 80's there is no doubt in my mind that SW fans worldwide would think this one the best, though.

I guess my major indicator for the quality of a SW movie is how I feel walking out of the theater. After seeing each of the OT movies (even on the Special Edition re-releases) I left the theater tingling and feeling that I had just been part of something mythic, and totally able to overlook any flaws the movie might have acting- and story-wise.

I didn't get that feeling after either of the first 2 prequels. I did on this one.

Leaving the showings of the other prequel movies I spent most of my time trying to convince myself to try and overlook the flaws and just enjoy the tale being told, and that they were nessisary to the overall big-picture of the saga.

I definately didn't have to do that in this case. It was kind of like being 10-years old again. The obvious continuity flaws and acting shortcomings that many have complained about didn't even phase me while watching it. I was totally lost in the film experience, and that's something that I haven't felt in a long, long time. Perhaps not since ROTJ's inital release in '83.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

Palpatine isn't deformed. He now is showing his true face and he just tells the Senate that he got "deformed" by a Jedi attack because he can't go around saying "using my incredible Sith powers, i was able to hide my real appearance but I don't need to do that any more"

Even if that is true, how were we supposed to deduce that from the movie?

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Even if that is true, how were we supposed to deduce that from the movie?

Because its completely obvious?

He stops using his powers to hide is appearance so that he can destroy Mace Windu. After that, he can go with the deformed angle and not have to waste power on that any more. "Evil reveals its true self" is a fairly standard mythological device anyhow.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Where did you even get the idea that he was hiding his true appearance in the first place? We were never shown or told that. What I saw was lightning melting his face. I seriously doubt many people walked out of the movie thinking otherwise.

I think its one of those things that didn't get mentioned anywhere, but is a fact. It might have been in the novel, but I haven't read it yet. There was a few things Lucas said in interviews and on the set that "count" even though no source has included them yet, like the stormtroopers=clones thing

It is mentioned in the novel. Palpatine kinda just shugs off the transformation and says something like "The face of Palpatine is gone. Oh well, the face of Sidious will have to do..."

I chalk the whole thing up to the mythic thing of (almost always) Ugly=Evil... And when someone pretending to be good gets exposed as evil they almost invariably go through a transformation from "beautiful" (or at the very least plain-looking but not repulsive) to ugly. The whole Sauron thing, y'know... Or perhaps even further back to Lucifer/ Satan.

Granted, but that doesn't change the fact that people just watching the movie are going to think the lightning deformed him. Anyway, regardless of what was really going on, it didn't seem important to show, and it looked pretty weird.

That's not really a big deal, though. I'm more concerned with other things; I am, for example, still trying to figure out exactly what Padme died of. Apparently nothing. Or a broken heart. Or something like that.

Archived