Home

Episode 3 - Marks out of Ten *spoilers*

toms

Score out of 10?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Score out of 10?

Only those that have seen it please.

Feel free to add short reviews, but use spoiler tags if you have spoilers. Keep the big discussions in the other thread.

NOTE: Spoilers have crept into several of the post below. If you haven't seen it yet you might want to just check out the poll results and not scroll down.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 out of 10. I seriously was moved by this movie. I didn't cry, but was just emotionally shaken, and that's exactly what needed to happen for this movie. Even though you know most of the stuff, it still get's you.

*waits for bootleg of it*

What >.> <.<

:p

Am I the only one getting withdrawls, jonesing for another hit?

I actually cried. Seeing the bits of the Jedi Purge really got to me, especially Mace's death. And seeing the torture in Anakin after killing the sepratist leaders, you can really feel he doesn't want to do this, but he feels he must. You can see the conflict within him. Until Padme confronts him, and he thinks she's betrayed him. I watched A New Hope when I got back and Vader was easily 10x scarier.

7/10. :(

The visual effects were great...and it did fufill everything a Star Wars movie needs, but some of it just lacked. Anakin still struck me as a completely whiny asshole, and a few things struck me as rather paradoxial...like how Obi says to Anakin that he is wise beyond his years, and surely he would realise how selfish his wants are. He becomes a sith lord, kills his jedi comrades, and assaults his former master all for Padme, wouldn't he at least have a thought if that was worth it? But no, he succumbs to his passion in an entirely too human fashion, showing none of the discipline the Jedi's would have.

Everyone and everything else was really good, but it just how Lucas structured Anakin's fall from grace that lessened the movie for me.

8/10

Some average bits, some good bits, a few great bits. None of the really bad bits from the first two sequels...

...yet somehow the whole thing just seemed lacking something. Maybe its because we knew everything that would happen before hand? Not sure why...

SPOILERS ABOUND. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO READ SPOILERS, PLEASE SKIP THIS POST.

Wasn't quite what I hoped it'd be... but an 7.5-8/10 nonetheless.

The clone war battles were so short. They showed almost absolutely nothing of it, whereas they made a huge showing of it in EP2 on Geonosis. I expected more from the clones.

I also expected more from Grievous. He is portrayed as this huge hardass and I wanted him to have a bigger role as such. He also did lose his extra hands rather quickly, something I felt was dissappointing as it seemed like they just wanted it to get to 2 lightsabers as quickly as possible so as to ease the choreography.

Anakin's joining of the dark side is far too abrupt. What seems to be despair in his

attacking of Mace

and what is a good part of showing his inner torment is suddenly moved to where he becomes a Sith. Which was lame. His torment should have been shown more in this part and throughout the movie, although they did a decent job of conveying it.

The Jedi Purge was far too quick and overrated IMHO. If there was more to it, some kind of despair, something to give me some reason to feel bad (besides the younglings). I mean all we got was some clones shooting Jedi in the Temple.

Mace's death = bleh

Duel of the Fates REUSED = bleh

Kashyyk = far too short

I would have liked Order 66 to be explained more, cause they sure as hell didn't mention it anywhere else in the trilogies. Are they designed with this Order inside their mind so that at the blink of an eye they shoot down comrades mercilessly?

Action scenes were less than I expected, which is the main reason why I am lowering the grade on this. Although they were cool, most of the shots consisted of faces not really a fight imo. The Obi v Grievous fight was a letdown. The arrest of Palpy was a semi letdown only because of the other 3 Jedi that die within 2 seconds. (rest in peace Kit Fisto, Saesee Tinn, Agen Kolar) I only got excited when Ani and Obi started their duel, which was pretty damn good. Not Maul good, but good. Yoda v Palpy is only decent. What detracted from their fight was the lack of anything special in what they were doing. And what is with EVERY SINGLE SABER WIELDER PUTTING THE SABER OVER THEIR HEAD. Ani and Dooku did it last time, they did it this time, Palpy does it, hell, what happened to every jedi/sith having a distinct style?

Anakin is evidently very simple minded. "I'm a sith" "k i'll join you"

"the jedi are corrupt" "k" "kill them" "k"

There is no anguish, there is no despair in his execution of the Jedi Purge. It's like he's a mercenary, not some Jedi who has fallen to the dark side.

The clones are far too underused and should have had a much larger part in this movie.

Oh, and Vader's NOOOOOOO. :p

Now, onto the good parts.

The dialogue is much better, reducing the cringe inducing lines from EP2 to mere smirks.

The clone battles were good whenever they appeared.

Obi v Ani is great. Although there wasn't too much fancy stuff ala EP1, it was still amazing to watch. Mustafar was a cool place for a fight also.

What moved me was the exchange between Obi Wan and Anakin. It is very well delivered.

Yoda takes out the Royal Guards/ Clones

Count Dooku's death and Anakin's resulting torment. Hayden shows he really can act when he's thinking over why he's not what he should be.

So, all in all, a good movie. The bad things I listed were really just nitpicks and things I thought should have been done differently for more effect.

Yoda was much better done/acted in this movie than in EP2. He seems wiser, more troubled, and actually has emotion XD

Droids = great comical effect

and R2D2 was AWESOME.

:)

5/10

Lemme explain my reasoning

I know the film was mainly about Anakin and his internal conflicts as well as his problems with the council and what-not.

Im disappointed at how short 'lived' Dooku lived, and how he died. The same for General Grievous, I wanted to see him hunt down some of the Jedi. The way the Jedi died during the purge, especially Aayla Secura and Ki-Adi-Mundi. Disappointed at how Kit and Plo died.

But then again it was the Jedi Purge and they had to die.

And i got choked up at the Younglings scene as well.

*runs from high scoring swampies*

It had some really awesome points. When the crawl began, everyone was cheering. There was some humor mixed in all that drama, like how R2 sets the Super Battle Droids on fire and how Yoda slams the two Royal Guards against the wall had everyone laughing.

There were some parts that personally I think went through too quick, like the attempted arrest of Palpatine, the Order 66 scenes, especially the Kashyyyk scenes... but it gets the job done, so I'm happy to give it 9 out of 10. :)

Mike..... spoiler tags were requested, you could have posted all that stuff in the other thread........oh well

Like ET, I too give it a 9.5.. for *nothing* is ever perfect :) I would give ESB the same as well :)

ROTS is great.... I am glad SW isnt totally dead....we still have 100 hours of TV to wait for....good io bad, its always good to have something to look forward to :) (not to mention the CG series of course)

mtfbwya

Originally posted by toms

Only those that have seen it please.

Feel free to add short reviews, but use spoiler tags if you have spoilers. Keep the big discussions in the other thread.

NOTE: Spoilers have crept into several of the post below. If you haven't seen it yet you might want to just check out the poll results and not scroll down.

You did the right thing, and I commend you for it. Allow me to help you out by placing the spoiler warning in your thread title.

Yes I voted 10. I finished reading the book only two days ago, and as much as I enjoyed the book, the movie is far superior. It is hard for me to say if this is "better" than TESB as being my favorite, but I did put ONE interesting formula together only moments ago. I learned that all the "odd" numbered Star Wars movies ARE in fact the best, while the EVEN numbered Star Trek movies are considered THEIR best. Funny how these things happen eh? Yes I STILL love TPM, I don't care what all you haters think anymore.

I'm with InsaneSith, the movie REALLY did exceed my expectations, but the one thing that impressed me the most, is that there is absolutely NO down time in this movie, things move at a rapid pace, and in the end EVERYTHING makes sense, nothing is left open ended. I really appreciated that alot. I'll see this movie SEVERAL more times once the rush dies down. I had to sit all the way in front and I have a horrible neck ache because of that, but it was so worth it. People literally stood up at the end and applauded. That was awsome! :D

I changed my vote from a 9 to a 10. I'd still say it should be around..a 9.9, as Astro said, no such thing as perfect, but this movie is damn close.

It took a second time seeing it to really feel this way, but I'm saying it's almost certainly my favorite star wars movie. The action, emotion, drama, it has EVERYTHING. Ewan McGregor ASTONISHED me, and I was already a HUGE fan of his. I actually cried a little when he was giving his "You were the chosen one" speech. It totally moved me to tears.

And to anyone whose complaint centers around "so and so scenes were too short". What should Lucas have done? He has a set amount of time in which to put the film, he wanted it to remain approximately the same length as the others, so some scenes had to be cut down to be only as long as was necessary.

Mace's death = bleh

Duel of the Fates REUSED = bleh

Kashyyk = far too short

I thought Mace's death was freakin AWESOME as far as movie scenes go...totally sucks that he died, but awesome nonetheless.

You have a problem with them reusing old music? Would you prefer each movie had a new theme song as well? That's John Williams Style, that's something that REALLY binds the movies together if you ask me. The way you have some songs that are unique to the movie, and then there are the songs that are from others, but different to fit the needs.

And I think Kashyyk was plenty long, there were other far more important things that needed taken care of.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

I thought Mace's death was freakin AWESOME as far as movie scenes go...totally sucks that he died, but awesome nonetheless.

You have a problem with them reusing old music? Would you prefer each movie had a new theme song as well? That's John Williams Style, that's something that REALLY binds the movies together if you ask me. The way you have some songs that are unique to the movie, and then there are the songs that are from others, but different to fit the needs.

And I think Kashyyk was plenty long, there were other far more important things that needed taken care of.

Mace death was good, but I don't think it did him justice.

Yes, I do have a problem with reusing old music. Especially when it's famous old music. I don't want to be thinking about Darth Maul when I should be fearing Palpatine. Duel of the Fates belongs with Duel of the Fates. If they had used some obscure music from EP 12456 then it would not have mattered to me. Or if they had changed it around a little.

Kashyyk lasted a grand total of 2 minutes, after being featured so prominently. I expected some form of a grand battle. Instead I got a trailer of Battlefront 2 in high res cgi.

Weak Sauce. :xp:

Archived