Episode 3 - Marks out of Ten *spoilers*

toms

Score out of 10?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Score out of 10?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i think the movie had too much humor in it.

The droids were funny and all, but some parts weren't even trying to be funny. AKA Palpatine having digestive problems when i was fighting Mace Windu.

It was freekin hilarious when Yoda too out those Royal Guards though......priceless lol

Very well done. A true return to form for Lucas, which is really what I had hoped to see today.

A few minor quibbles, (many of the same ones others have already voiced...) but it's a movie, and the reality of movie-making dictates that not everything want to see on screen or you think should be there can be. Sacrifices need to be made to advance the story.

When "THE DUEL" started I got chills up my spine. I have been waiting to see that since 1977.

Wow!

Originally posted by Herminator

OK, me+Pie+friends went for the second screening today, and I noticed something.

Grievous coughs. cough = lungs. lungs = breathe. breathe = the amazing ability to NOT jump out of spaceships and live. :p

ah, fanboys debating repspiratory physiology of a CG movie character :p

I dont know grievous 'specs' but it wouldnt be absurd to assume he is on a respirator...like vader, most of his body was destroyed and what was left of him was re-assembled into a supportive casing..

I know his original species was khaleesh but i cant remember reading anything about whether or not they were native 0xy-breathers anyway ..

does it really matter ? :)

mtfbwya

8/10

Good flick, much better than the first two, in my opinion.

Now... I don't exactly see the flipping point of debating the respiratory physiology of a CGI character either, but I do recognize the movie wasn't perfect. Good, but not perfect.

The visual effects were pretty well flawless, from the space battles to the saber duels. On the subject of saber duels, though, I have to agree with some people about the emphasis on face shots... yes, they do convey the emotion that is necessary to the scene, but... I thought there was just a tad too much of it. Kinda one of those weird little nitpicks you pick up, almost subconsciously. Dialogue was... well I guess I've grown accustomed to Lucas' sometimes cheesy line writing, but fortunately the most important scenes had good dialogue. Acting was pretty good all around, Christensen was at his best when he finally fell to the dark side, and McGregor was simply great throughout the entire thing. The other characters didn't grab my attention much; Portman was alright considering she had little onscreen time. Yoda (Frank Oz) made his best prequel performance by far. Samuel L. Jackson was... surprisingly dull actually, he just lacked personality considering Mace’s character was supposed to be somewhat of a renegade as well. McDiarmid, however, was cool as ****, the guy was born for that part as he just oozed evil.

Time for some spoiler-containing comments now:

Windu's death didn't really seem contrived (Maul's death still pisses me off), but it was too damn short. There was no real fight between Anakin and Mace at all, which sucked. The Purge was moving, but there wasn't a whole lot of emotion stirring for me. The implied demise of the younglings was a little more heart wrenching. But what REALLY got to me (I didn't tear up though... honest :o) was the scene at the end of the Mustafar duel, when Anakin is lying there grunting and screaming in agony with only a couple limbs left, and Obi-Wan gives his "chosen one" speech, then Ani’s robes catch fire and the whole atmosphere becomes ten times darker as you see his flesh burn and scorch into utter disfigurement. That and the interchanging shots between Padme's child birthing and Anakin's smoldering, disfigured body being operated and transformed into one of the most iconic bad guys of our time.

I'm extremely satisfied that the most emotionally charged scenes are (in my personal opinion) the darkest in the entire Star Wars series.

I actually don't mind the face shots in duels approach if it is done well and for good reason.

The Ep1 duel is cool for example, but mainly because ray park looks like he can actually kick butt. But on the whole i prefer the ep2 one. It has many more face shots (probably cos christopher lee is getting on a bit to be doing backflips) but its much more atmospheric with only the light of the sabers in the dark.

ep3 was kind of a mix between the two.. although i did think a few of the moves teh jedi pulled looked a bit fake... the animation just didn't seem natural or as if it obeyed the laws of physics (as much as they should apply to jedi). This was probably only noticable because te rest of the animation/cgi was so good.

I might have said they overdid the droid humour, but it was a heck of a lot better than the excessive and BAD humour in the first two, so i won't complain.

I'm off again tomorrow with a load of casual SW fans, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up on second viewing. The first two were both worse on second viewing, when you started to notice the flaws once the WOW factor wore off. Then again, i didn't like FotR the first time, and its now one of my fave films. Interesting to see their reaction too, as the audience reaction the first time i went was more like "muted approval/relief" than "ecstatic joy".

• 2 weeks later...

I give it a 9/10. However, I have to say that IT WAS FEAKIN' AWESOME.

I almost wet my pants when the crawl started and then during the sibsequent, awesome space battle. I thought the Obi/Grievous exchange seemed a little phony - Grievous fought more like a giant table saw then like a Sith Lord. I The Kashykk (sp) scene felt almost uneeded, it was only 2 or 3 minutes. Of course, I don't really like Wookies anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

Anakin's betrayal seemed too easy, too simple, as some have said. Furthermore, it was just downright stupid that, after he found out Palp was a Sith, he just left him there alone to tell the Jedi. "Oh, you're the most evil person in the galaxy. I'm gonna leave you here but I'll be RIGHT BACK, don't go anywhere, k?"

I thought the DOTF and subsequent duels were awesome. I hated to say old Yoda lose. What really got me was that he was all, "Failed I have. Run away forever I will. Try again I cannot." It just seemed pessimistic for a Jedi.

Also - the last thing - that bugged me and my Enlgish teacher - If Padme died in childbirth, THEN HOW THE HECK does Leia remember her in Episode VI??!?

My only somplaint - Hayden C. sucks. He was trying to be cool in those evil scenes, but whenever he started trying to talk louder, his voice just kept getting weaker and weaker. Really a bummer, for me anyways.

Grievous *isn't* a Sith lord... :p

And as for Anakin leaving Palpatine, it's not like the Chancellor could go anywhere nor would he want to. Anakin just wanted to tell the Council so they could deal with it and arrest him/put him on trial etc. Then when Mace kicks Palpy's ass and tries to finish the job, Ani's all "I NEED HIM YOU HAVE TO PUT HIM ON TRIAL"

See? :p

Ian McDiarmid did a decent job of Palpatine, give or take some really really goofy facial expressions, but I'll let that pass since he's an old guy. :D

I was very pleased with Hayden in this movie, however. It's a huge step from EP2. XD

I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about Leia knowing her mother. Luke and Leia never knew they were siblings, remember?

Leia was never told she was adopted. She thought her mother on Alderaan was her birth mother.

This was done to protect everyone involved.

I'm 95% sure that's how it was.

As far as the Anakin turning to the dark side thing:

In addition to needing Palpy alive to help him with Padme, he just helped a Sith Lord kill the #2 Jedi Master in the entire galaxy. How exactly was he going to go back and tell the rest of the Jedi that? "Oh by the way, Palpatine is a badass Sith Lord, but Master Windu had him cornered... that is until I came in and cut his hands off. Then Palpatine killed him. Uh,.. sorry."

He was placed in an impossible situation. He couldn't go to the Jedi for fear of them getting Palpy/ Sideous, leading to him losing Padme. Plus he would surely be punished severely himself for assisting in Mace Windu's death.

Besides... it was his destiny to go to the dark side. If it seemed that it happened quickly, it's because he was already part way there. And it needed to happen that way for the rest of the movies to work... ;)

Actually, the Ep. III novelization shows his decent into the dark side as far more subtle, gradual and realistic. But that's hard to show in a movie that was already a bit longer than the other movies without causing everything else to drag. GL probably just felt it was best to 'cut to the chase' and get it over with and make him Vader ASAP.

PS -- How soon before we can stop using spoiler tags??

Originally posted by Datheus

Leia was never told she was adopted. She thought her mother on Alderaan was her birth mother.

Yet, in the conversation luke asks if she remembers her mother. Her REAL mother.

Thus, it seems obvious there IS a distinction between Leia's real mother and Mrs. Organa. ;)

However, everyone seems to forget the wording Leia uses to recall her mother.

The key terms are, of course, that all she has are "Images and feelings." Those aren't really what you have with solid actual memories of a person. We are also aware that sensitivity to the force can grant one visions of the present, future, or even the past.

Odds are, Leia's memories are Force related.

OR, they're false memories.

OR, it REALLY doesn't matter, get over it.

Ok, while we are all bringing up silly points did anyone notice Obi-Wan pick up Anakins saber after their duel? I didn't. so how come in Ep IV he can give it to luke?

"your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough..."

Not that it matters, and for all i know I just missed him picking it up.

I'll be perfectly frank, the film was awful, and I'm sorry I went to see it. Like both the previous prequels it has only sullied my memory of the original trilogy, which were classics.

They were not merely classics because of their ground-breaking effects, but classics because of their heroic and villainous archetypes, their mature plotlines, and the fact that the actors were talented enough and committed enough to make their roles (and indeed their interactions with various muppet characters) believable.

All that remains of "Star Wars" in Lucas' prequel trilogy is the opening crawl, the lightsabres and the state-of-the-art effects. And that's not enough to make a film as good as ESB, ANH... or even RotJ.

As for RotS specifically, it had many flaws that make it ghastly, albeit marginally fewer flaws than TPM or AotC. Specifically:

• Anakin's turning to the dark side was crassly unbelievable and rapid, and poor drama in general.
  • Palpatine getting his hands dirty with a lightsabre merely sullies the omnipotent menace of the character (As did yoda's fight scene in AotC)
  • The chemistry between Anakin and Padme was (as ever) non-existent, making their "romance" unacceptably false.
  • The dialogue was frankly the worst I've heard since Gigli, and the actors knew it.
  • The sheer reliance on overly busy CGI was pathetic, as ever.
  • And perhaps worst of all, the memory of the immortal character of Vader is belittled by Anakin's poor characterisation. Vader's no longer a dignified terror commanding vast forces both terrestrial and ethereal... he's a whiny, gullible twit.

On the plus side, we got to see Hayden

get dismembered and burst into flames.

That's an image that will keep me warm at night. Honestly, the boy was so wooden that when he made his entrance I thought someone had thrown a chair into the room.

Don't for one moment think that I went into this movie biased against it. On the contrary I'd heard that it was a return to form, that it was the only one of the prequels that would be worth keeping, that it was a worthy Star Wars film. Nothing would have made me happier, I wanted nothing more.

After the monstrously tedious, ill-conceived (and nominally racist) debacle that was TPM, the ghastly waste of two hours and five pounds (AotC) and the hideous mauling of the original films in the recently released DVD set, I didn't think that Lucas was capable of disappointing me further. I vowed that my hopes for the new film wouldn't rise high enough to be knocked brutally down.

I failed in my vow.

Lucas disappoints once more. The man can't write, plot or direct.

Originally posted by jon_hill987

Ok, while we are all bringing up silly points did anyone notice Obi-Wan pick up Anakins saber after their duel? I didn't.

Then you weren't paying much attention, because they made a point to show him picking it up off of the ground.

Yes. Obi-Wan clearly picks up the saber... although that makes what he told Luke a blatant lie. In fact, it seems that he ended up telling Luke an awful lot of lies in thier short time together.

One other small bit of Ep. III continuity strangeness that I haven't seen anyone else pick up on (I'll call this one "How Quickly They Forget"):

In Ep. III Chewbacca is seen fighting alongside the Jedi on his own planet, and it even seems that he was pretty friendly with Yoda. Even personally helped him escape the Clone Troops once the purge began.

Yet, in Ep. IV (ANH) he isn't seen giving any special respect towards Obi-Wan and Luke, even when Luke is clearly training with a lightsaber on board the Falcon.

In fact, on the Death Star (#1) he grunts something to the effect of "Who does this guy think he is?" just before Han says "You said it Chewie! Where did you dig up this old fossil?" and Luke says "Ben is a great man!"

That doesn't seem to be the attitude of someone who was once friends with Jedi.

It's a little thing, but something that struck me.

Originally posted by Spider AL

• Anakin's turning to the dark side was crassly unbelievable and rapid, and poor drama in general.
  • Palpatine getting his hands dirty with a lightsabre merely sullies the omnipotent menace of the character (As did yoda's fight scene in AotC)
  • The chemistry between Anakin and Padme was (as ever) non-existent, making their "romance" unacceptably false.
  • The dialogue was frankly the worst I've heard since Gigli, and the actors knew it.
  • The sheer reliance on overly busy CGI was pathetic, as ever.
  • And perhaps worst of all, the memory of the immortal character of Vader is belittled by Anakin's poor characterisation. Vader's no longer a dignified terror commanding vast forces both terrestrial and ethereal... he's a whiny, gullible twit.

All excellent points, but as for the last one, I think Vader's character was marred by that horribly cheesy "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream :|

I do like how you've described the whole Emperor/Yoda lightsaber thing, It's what I was thinking but just couldn't put it into words.

Overall though, I wouldn't say the film was awful, just not good.

Originally posted by edlib

In Ep. III Chewbacca is seen fighting alongside the Jedi on his own planet, and it even seems that he was pretty friendly with Yoda. Even personally helped him escape the Clone Troops once the purge began.

Yet, in Ep. IV (ANH) he isn't seen giving any special respect towards Obi-Wan and Luke, even when Luke is clearly training with a lightsaber on board the Falcon.

In fact, on the Death Star (#1) he grunts something to the effect of "Who does this guy think he is?" just before Han says "You said it Chewie! Where did you dig up this old fossil?" and Luke says "Ben is a great man!"

Well, I don't remember the specifics of the scene in ANH with crystal clarity, but when luke is practicing with the lightsaber, was Chewie actually in the room? Because if not, it's entirely possible/probable that Han didn't mention it, as he didn't really see any point to tell Chewie.

And since Chewie probably never met Obi-wan pre RotS, it's unlikely he'd recognize him.

However, if chewie WAS in the room at the time, my theory sucks ;)

However, if chewie WAS in the room at the time, my theory sucks
Sorry mate, you theory doth suck. ;) Chewie was playing holographic chess with R2 in the same room as Luke and Ben in the practice scene.

That's another reason I disliked the new film, the sheer lack of continuity with the OT. Even the few attempts to add continuity turned out to be worse than a lack of continuity: they were crass. It seems as though Lucas really does want to replace the OT rather than add to it... but he doesn't have the chops to pull it off. The OT was a group effort, the PT is Lucas' effort.

All excellent points, but as for the last one, I think Vader's character was marred by that horribly cheesy "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream :|
Ugh, yeah... that was awful.

In the OT, vader was said to have been "seduced by the dark side". But in the prequels he seems to have been duped through sheer gullibility towards the dark side. It's harsh for the character.

Archived