toms

Score out of 10?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Score out of 10?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Spider AL

Sorry mate, you theory doth suck. ;) Chewie was playing holographic chess with R2 in the same room as Luke and Ben in the practice scene.

I'd thought perhaps he was....

Well in that case....meh.

As for your continuity issues Al, I'd rather like to hear them.

Explain the racist part >_> I don't recall any racism <_<
What, you don't think that Jar Jar the comedy-black-slave-man and the evil Oriental- I mean Nemoidian- trade federation... weren't demeaning to one's sense of propriety?

I hate people who bandy the word "racist" around needlessly. I'm fervently anti-PC, but even I had to admit after watching TPM... that it was a tad suspect in this respect.

As for your continuity issues Al, I'd rather like to hear them.
Mmkay. We're all aware of the obvious continuity errors, the above mentioned Chewie debacle a good example; and the fact that Leia couldn't have any memories of her real mother because she died too early in RotS; and the fact that Ben, Owen and Beru seem to have had their memories wiped by the time of ANH; and the fact that Ben states that Luke "was our last hope" when he MUST be aware that Leia is Anakin's child according to RotS; And R2-D2's incredible abilities showcased in RotS that he's seemingly... lost the hang of by the time of ANH :rolleyes:

But you'll remember I also said: "Even the few attempts to add continuity turned out to be worse than a lack of continuity: they were crass." I'll give you some examples of this crassness:

1. Lucas added R2 and C3PO into TPM to try to give it some legitimacy as a Star Wars film. Naturally he failed in this respect, but what he DID do was to shove the droids into a film they had no business being in. Vader builds C3PO does he? Give me a break. This created an untenable situation in which the only out was the tried and trusted old plot device... MEMORY LOSS! Yep, erase the droids memories and all's right with the world. Shame they couldn't lobotomise Chewie while they were at it.

2. Palpatine's appearance was normal in TPM and AotC, leading the fans to wonder how and why he'd turn all 0gly and old-looking by the time of ESB. Some of the more realism-oriented among us harboured the view that Palpy either... oh, I don't know... AGED BETWEEN AotC and ESB? By, let's say... a couple of decades? :rolleyes:

Perhaps his exposure to the darkest reaches of the dark-side caused him to degrade in appearance until his exterior matched his interior?

Perhaps he always looked that way, but concealed it from society at large through the use of the Force?

Any and all of these things could have been the case... But no, Lucas couldn't leave well enough alone. There had to be one short, sharp... and slightly odd incident that made the Emperor an ugly old man within the space of a single scene. Crass.

3. In the Original Trilogy, Jedi vanished when they died, and they could communicate with the living. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE GODDAMN JEDI! Spiritual monk-like warriors! They can do all sorts of spooky things, why does this one have to be explained in any more detail than moving objects through telekinesis?

He could have just left it alone, but George just had to get his grubby paws stuck in and provide a non-spiritual explanation devoid of long words for his fanbase. Like "Midichlorians".

In RotS Yoda mentions in passing that Qui-Gon Jinn pops back from the land of the dead to teach him this whole "beyond the grave" thing every so often, because it's a skill.

Oh GOD.

As I said before, tying up loose ends BADLY makes them more noticable than simply leaving them untied. And some ends are meant to be loose. That's their charm.

In short, the prequel trilogy was like a mediocre fanfic. It wasn't Star Wars.

What, you don't think that Jar Jar the comedy-black-slave-man and the evil Oriental- I mean Nemoidian- trade federation... weren't demeaning to one's sense of propriety?

:lol: Now that you mention it, the Trade Federation has an asian accent :xp:

Maybe I'm just used to it >_>

2. Palpatine's appearance was normal in TPM and AotC, leading the fans to wonder how and why he'd turn all 0gly and old-looking by the time of ESB. Some of the more realism-oriented among us harboured the view that Palpy either... oh, I don't know... AGED BETWEEN AotC and ESB? By, let's say... a couple of decades? :rolleyes:

Perhaps his exposure to the darkest reaches of the dark-side caused him to degrade in appearance until his exterior matched his interior?

Perhaps he always looked that way, but concealed it from society at large through the use of the Force?

Any and all of these things could have been the case... But no, Lucas couldn't leave well enough alone. There had to be one short, sharp... and slightly odd incident that made the Emperor an ugly old man within the space of a single scene. Crass.

:lol: Very nice. Although the idea of the Emperor succumbing more and deforming because of the dark side seems a more logical idea (see Anakin's eyes for example), the whole Palpy transformation scene wasn't that bad.

:D

Permission to use

Vader's no longer a dignified terror commanding vast forces both terrestrial and ethereal... he's a whiny, gullible twit.

in signature sir? XD

Very nice. Although the idea of the Emperor succumbing more and deforming because of the dark side seems a more logical idea (see Anakin's eyes for example), the whole Palpy transformation scene wasn't that bad.
That's where the subjectivity comes in. I think most of us will agree that Lucas' little judgement calls weren't ideal... but some people like me will rabidly despise them while others (like yourself) will only exhibit a mild preference for something better than Lucas' choices.

Heck, some people will even actively enjoy the choices he made, after all "Gigli", "Armageddon" and "Titanic" all had their fans. Why not RotS? A film doesn't have to be good nor intelligent to be popular.

The alternately sad and comforting thing is that the Original Trilogy was both good and intelligent, through no fault of Lucas. He was prevented by others from making the Original trilogy into his personal vision. We've now seen what his vision would have been like.

Permission to use in signature sir? XD.
Credit me, and you can use my firstborn in your signature. I covet the proliferation of my name in the sigfiles of others.

Clicky

the above mentioned Chewie debacle a good example

No it's not. Since when does, just because you're friends with someone (Yoda) in an organization (Jedi Order), that you're now friends with EVERYONE IN THAT ORGANIZATION? Chewie was friends with Yoda, not all Jedi. Read the visual dictionary.

and the fact that Leia couldn't have any memories of her real mother because she died too early in RotS

You seem to forget that fact that there are things like pictures and videos that were made of Padme. Gee, maybe Leia had a look at them?

and the fact that Ben, Owen and Beru seem to have had their memories wiped by the time of ANH

What are you referring to? They remember everything just fine.

and the fact that Ben states that Luke "was our last hope" when he MUST be aware that Leia is Anakin's child according to RotS

It very well could have been that Ben didn't believe that Leia had what it takes to become a Jedi, because she didn't even know she had Luke's powers, remember?

And R2-D2's incredible abilities showcased in RotS that he's seemingly... lost the hang of by the time of ANH :rolleyes:

The reason he could do all that was because Anakin had modified him with stuff. He was away from Anakin for twenty years so I wouldn't expect him to have all the same stuff that Anakin gave him.

This created an untenable situation in which the only out was the tried and trusted old plot device... MEMORY LOSS! Yep, erase the droids memories and all's right with the world. Shame they couldn't lobotomise Chewie while they were at it.

Erasing a droid's memory is nothing new. It was said in ANH that R2 and 3PO were to have their memories wiped when the Lars' bought them from the Jawas.

3. In the Original Trilogy, Jedi vanished when they died, and they could communicate with the living. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE GODDAMN JEDI! Spiritual monk-like warriors! They can do all sorts of spooky things, why does this one have to be explained in any more detail than moving objects through telekinesis?

He could have just left it alone, but George just had to get his grubby paws stuck in and provide a non-spiritual explanation devoid of long words for his fanbase. Like "Midichlorians".

In RotS Yoda mentions in passing that Qui-Gon Jinn pops back from the land of the dead to teach him this whole "beyond the grave" thing every so often, because it's a skill.

What? This is George Lucas's story. You act like he's messing up someone else's story with his "grubby paws." George wanted to explain how he invisioned the Force. He wants the Force to be more chemical than spiritual as provided with his "midichlorian" explanation. Fine by me. It's HIS story, after all.

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to drag up an old thread, but its kind of quiet around here so i guess its ok.

Anyway, i've just finished watching the excellent Firefly and so i was doing a search on the upcoming Serenity movie... and i found a p(review) of Ep3 that pretty much perfectly sums up everything i thought about the movie. So I thought i'd post it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20185

now i'm on to reading the Serenity info...

Archived