Home

What games have you looked forward to on E3?

Tokarev

Well, since all the excitement was and still is on the next generation consoles, what about the games? Any you have learned about, looked forward to, and what not?

Not in particular order.

PC:

Call of Duty 2

Starwars: Empire at war

Age of Empire III

UT 2007

Splinter cell 4

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Stargate SG-1: The Alliance (waiting to see how it comes about)

Xbox:

Spartan: Total Warrior

StarCraft: Ghost

Prince of Persia 3

PS2:

Shadow of the Colossus (possibly)

Soul Calibur III

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams

Resident Evil 4

SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs

Genji: Dawn of the Samurai

PS3:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Alan Wake

Warhawk

Killzone 2

Devil May Cry 4

Vision Gran Turismo

Killing Day

I-8

I'll just cut and paste what I posted over on Echonetwork...

Well, I have to say that I'm impressed by some of the stuff coming out of E3 this year...and disappointed at some of the 'no-shows'.

I've been switching between Gamespot, IGN, VE3D and Blues News to get a wider coverage of the event. I have to say that Gamespot's webcasts from the show floor far outclass the Livewire 'interviews' of IGN. You get to see demos of the games, while those being interviewed have given some pretty good details to back up the visuals. The interviewers are also more enthusiastic. Gamespot were also lucky to miss the power outage, so they were up and running from day one.

I watched all three console conferences, and I thought Sony came out on top. They basically let the PS3 tech/game demos speak for themselves, and backed it up with the tech specs. The controversy surrounding Killzone has been interesting, but CG or not it looked impressive. The real-time tech demos and UE3 were also impressive. By comparison, Microsoft settled for a hard sales pitch, and just didn't seem as impressive (apart from the Gears Of War trailer). Ninendo's conference was a bit of a joke, with hardly any new information on the Revolution, and the unveiling of yet another Gameboy. It just feels very much like they didn't have much to show.

Disappointments

In terms of my gaming 'watch list', there are a few disappointments...

Dragon Age (PC) - I've seen nothing new at all regarding this game from Bioware, and I find that odd considering they unveiled it at the last E3. Surely there would have been more to see at this point?

Neverwinter Nights 2 (PC) - another game that is conspicious by it's absence. We haven't even had a decent screenshot from this title yet, so I'm disappointed they weren't showing it at E3.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (PC) - is completely absent from the show. In light of the graphical changes they've been making to the engine (when at one point they said it was practically done and dusted), I'm starting to get worried about this game. It looks like it's slipped to 2006 now, and that says to me that they're having problems.

Arkane Studios - they seem to have disappeared off the gaming map. I can't find any information regarding the title they were supposed to have in the works, and they're certainly not at E3.

Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth (PC/Xbox/PS2)- for a moment I thought they'd changed the name, but apparently another CoC game is in the works at another developer. As for DCOTE, there doesn't seem to be much new information at all. Some 'new' screenshots were released, but it's starting to look less and less impressive graphically. Hopefully the gameplay they promised will be intact.

Starship Troopers (PC) - I haven't seen anything new about this game, and I don't think it's even at E3.

Game Updates

Advent Rising (Xbox/PC) - I watched the newest trailer showing a bit more of the gameplay, and it's still looking really good.

Quake IV (PC/X360) - now I've seen a trailer of the game in action, it definitely looks like the Quake II universe. The new details about the game have raised my anticipation level too.

Call Of Duty 2 (PC/X360) - their new engine definitely has a different look and feel to it, but not quite the 'cutting edge' of other engines. Nevertheless, the footage I saw looked good, with plenty of action - and as long as they haven't messed too much with the MP gameplay mechanics, it should be excellent.

Gothic III (PC) - well, after seeing a longer, hi-res trailer and some hi-res screenshots, I'm reassured about this title. Some more details in various articles seem to suggest the whole thing is bigger and better. Can't wait for this game now.

The Witcher (PC) - I haven't seen anything new about this title at E3 yet - but the most recent trailer looked like it was on track to be a very good RPG.

Dungeon Siege II (PC) - I haven't spotted anything new about this one either.

F.E.A.R. (PC) - looks even better (I managed to catch new footage when Gamespot interviewed one of the devs), and promises some great action with supernatural elements. I trust Monolith to deliver on this one. Slow-mo deathmatch sounds...interesting.

Alan Wake (PC/PS3/X360) - apparently inspired by Twin Peaks, there are a few more details about it, but not a great deal to go on. Still need more info on this one.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC/X360) - the in-game animations seemed a bit clunky (not as smooth as some other games), but with a big seamless world, and some improvements to keep you on track with main quests, it should be good.

Unreal Tournament 2007 (PC/PS3/X360) - is looking good. With seamless stitching together of maps, it should lead to some huge scaled battles.

Gears Of War (X360) - now seems to be Xbox360 exclusive. But strangely...I don't mind (reason below). It was certainly one of the more impressive looking games on show, even though it's an early build. And it's different in the respect that it will be a 3rd person tactical-action-survival game rather than a straightforward shooter.

Age Of Empires III (PC) - I saw footage of the gameplay, and tons of new screenshots, and I think it's safely on track to being a great RTS. Can't wait to play it.

Surprises

As you all may know, I've not been much of a console gamer (and debated with myself endlessly about the merits of getting an Xbox). Well, I've finally been convinced. Why? Partly it's due to the fact that the next-gen consoles have 'grown up' in terms of specs. There should be no reason now for grainy graphics or 'dumbed down' gameplay, because the horsepower is now there to deliver stunning visuals, better AI, larger levels, etc. More significantly, though, it's the lineup of games that has caught my interest.

The PS3

It may not be available for another year, and some of the demos may only have been 'what developers are aiming for' - however, the general feeling from other developers seems to be that those graphics are achievable in real-time, along with the gameplay. Mark Rein from Epic certainly seems to think so. If true, it's coming pretty close to real-time CG, and not far from photo-realism. This should hopefully mean that in future, the graphics will become more of a background element, and give developers the freedom to explore better content. There are a few games being developed on the PS3 platform that caught my eye...

Killzone

This is the one cloaked in controversy - with the general concensus being the footage shown was CG and not 'in-game'. However, if the developer can 'get close' to what was shown in that video, it could be one of the best 'war' games to see the light of day.

Condemned: Criminal Origins

I didn't know anything about this title from Monolith until just before E3, and the more I learn, the more I like it. It's due on Xbox360 as well...but I have a feeling it will look better on the PS3.

Heavenly Sword

I'm not into 'fighting' games usually, but the demo of this title left me impressed.

I-8 (working title)

A futuristic first-person shooter that had shades of Half-Life 2, and looked visually impressive. I'm going to keep an eye on the development of this title.

King Kong

I've had absolutely no interest in Peter Jackson's King Kong, until I saw screenshots for this game. I hadn't realised he was pretty much going back to the roots of Kong - ie, emulating the first movie. I've always rated the original King Kong as the best of all the movies, so if Peter Jackson is bringing his 'magic' to revisualise it, then it could be a very good film. The game sounds very interesting in that you play both a human character and Kong himself.

The Darkness

Apparently based on a best-selling comic (that I've never heard of), the trailer for this game really had me intrigued. I don't know if it was rendered 'in-game', but it's certainly possible considering Starbreeze studios is at the helm, and they did some great work on Riddick. Eager to learn more about this one.

Dark Sector

I managed to catch the 8-minute footage recently released (which is all in-game graphics) that DE produced for this title last year, and now that I've seen it all in context, it's definitely on my gaming wishlist. If they were producing something like that a year ago, then I have to wonder how far they've come along since then.

Warhawk

Another futuristic war type game that sparked my interest.

Metronome

This title has it's own visual style, and although there are only sketchy details so far, it looks like more of an adventure game. I was intrigued by the basic ideas behind it.

The Xbox 360

After I got past the hard sales pitch from Microsoft, and started looking at the games (as well as the Live features on offer), this console looks like a good strong platform that should be well-supported. The compatibility issue is a minor sticking point (I was hoping to pick up those few old Xbox titles that interested me to play on the new platform), but there are a few titles already announced for the X360 that I'm interested in. Which is good...because I never got fired up over any of the launch titles for the original Xbox.

Gears Of War

Apparently now an Xbox exclusive, it won't be coming to a PC any time soon. Although not a launch title, it's definitely one of the better games that will be coming out on this platform.

Stranglehold

I caught the trailer for this game/movie tie-in, and it has me intrigued. I like some John Woo films, and Chow Yun Fat, so I might just be interested in this game if it can match the style with some good gameplay.

Elder Scrolls IV

Yes...it may be coming to PC as well, but I'm leaning more and more towards playing SP titles on a console in comfort on the sofa, on a big screen. Morrowind was one of the better RPGs on the Xbox (so I'm told), so I see no reason why this one would be any different.

Quake IV

I'm in two minds about getting this on console rather than PC - after all, I prefer mouse/keyb for FPS games. However, I can't see me needing the MP experience for this title, so the console version is definitely an option. If I can get the hang of using a controller that is. :p

Ninety-Nine Nights

Another trailer that intrigued me. Not a great deal of information about the game at this point, but there's something in there that attracted my attention.

The PC

I need a new PC. Simple fact, because the current one is on it's last legs. However, I can't see me forking out the extra dosh for a top-end gaming rig. If I tried to keep up-to-date on an ongoing basis with all the necessary hardware upgrades to play the latest games, then frankly PC gaming has become a bottomless money pit. I need a PC for work...but in light of what the next-gen consoles will be able to do, it becomes less compelling to go the extra mile in specs to ensure I can play all the future games that might hit the PC. So from a personal perspective, I can see the majority of my gaming needs being met on a console, and just playing a few key titles on PC in the future. Like these...

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

This game came out of nowhere and floored me completely. I had no idea Splash Damage was hard at work on a sequel to Enemy Territory. Having seen the footage and read the articles, I am in no doubt this is going to be a killer MP game that could shunt some of the other big players aside.

Star Wars: Empire At War

Prior to E3 I can't say that I was very interested in this title at all. Now that I've seen gameplay footage and heard more details from the devs, I'm definitely looking forward to it. This should be the ultimate Star Wars RTS, or come very close.

Prey

The more I see of it, the more I know I'm going to like it. I trust Human Head to deliver a compelling experience.

Add on the other (PC) titles mentioned above.

So there you have it. The future of gaming (for me) looks rosy.

Now all I need to do is find the time.

..and money...

Heh. ;)

I was impressed with FEAR when i played it at E3. It was a really cool FPS and im eager to see how the final product will turn out.

but the one im most excited about ever since the end of E3 was Kingdom hearts, cause when I went into the Square-Enix theater, they showed something in kh2 that blew my mind away.

Pirates. of. the. fricken. carribean.

you heard me right.

Nowt.

I can't think of much at all that has looked particularly interesting. Which is a surprise considering you would think there would be some cool stuff on show for the next gen consoles.

It all looks very predicatable, lots of sequels with somewhat improved graphics, etc..

I'm sure a lot of the games will be good games, but nothing looked "must have" or new or original...

[edit]

It was really just the malevolent cherry atop a sundae of despair. Our friend Mike dislocated his knee, we all got sick, and to be perfectly honest this was the least satisfying E3 I've ever attended. I've only been to six, so it's altogether possible that seven years ago they just shot every tenth person. That might - might - have been worse.

I think with "three systems launching" we thought there would be a lot more beef, but as I've established before only one system actually launched, and the titles that would really sell me the system weren't actually there to play. Sony wasn't really ready to launch either, but they made it seem as though they had, and Nintendo showed us what the Revolution might look like. I appreciate that they didn't make a spectacle out of what they didn't have, like some companies. That's just the console side of things.

For my part, seeing what wonders PC developers have in store, I think I've bought my last video card. I didn't even get top of the line this time, I squeaked in under four hundred dollars, but I've had it up to ****ing here subsidizing the next generation of consoles with my early adopter money. Before Doom 3, I was satisfied with a hitch or two here and there when I was really putting a machine to work - but seeing the way it is supposed to look, on hardware with the strength to manipulate those realms effortlessly made it clear. They've priced me, as a financially stable adult, straight out of entertainment software on the personal computer. I crave the esoteric strategy titles and wild experiments found on PCs, but it no longer makes a lick of sense to maintain this rig in the face of four hundred dollar, triple core consoles. The WOPR taught us as much in WarGames: the only way to win that game is not to play it.

from pennyarcade. pretty much sums up my opinion of the whole show.

Though as i'm playing Ocarina of Time right now my Zelda craving has just shot up...

Archived