Home

Psychonauts NOT in the 20 best selling Game of April

1. Guild Wars (NCsoft)

2. World of Warcraft (Blizzard)

3. The Sims 2 University (Electronic Arts)

4. DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (Activision)

5. The Sims 2 (Electronic Arts)

6. Stronghold 2 (2K Games)

7. Half-Life 2 (Vivendi Universal)

8. Seaworld Adventure Parks Tycoon (Activision)

9. The Sims Deluxe (Electronic Arts)

10. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Ubisoft)

11. SWAT 4 (Vivendi Universal)

12. DOOM 3 (Activision)

13. Halo: Combat Evolved (Microsoft)

14. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Activision)

15. Empire Earth II (Vivendi Universal)

16. Guild Wars Collector's Ed. (NCsoft)

17. Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30 (Ubisoft)

18. LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game (Eidos)

19. RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (Atari)

20. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (LucasArts) [/Quote]And no Psychonauts in sight, should I be worried ?

Source : NPD Group

The release date was something like April 20, PC-version was postponed (in many places it was shipped on 25-28th day), PS2-version is yet to be released and the game still hasn't been released in Europe.

I think it still has pretty good chances of selling well even though it wasn't on that list. Then again, I'm not very good with these kind of speculations.

Yeah, being released in late-April, obviously the number of sales for Psychonauts would mainly be for pre-orders. The month of May should better reflect sales (of course, then it wouldn't include the pre-orders!) So point is- getting the total sales for the first 3-4 months should be a better reflection of how well it sold. I don't think it will ever beat games like Doom 3 or Half-life, but then again - these adventure games are so much more memorable!

It's pretty unrealistic to expect it to knock gaming giants like the ones on that list down anyway, considering that Psychonauts does have a considerably less mainstream appeal, whether we like it or not. Those games will always sell well, since they're pretty much risk free purchases and the talk of schoolyards far and wide. They're the type of games that people will buy regardless of whether they've read a review or not.

I'm expecting Psychonauts to not have an overwhelming launch, but to sell well over a more gradual pace, kind of like Grim Fandango, which still sells and attracts people even today because of the "best game ever" reputation which it's built up for itself. Also as Nappi pointed out, the PC version suffered some considerable delays upon release, and the PS2 (another big console) isn't yet out. Additionally, Europe - which is a huge market for these type of games - hasn't received their end of the deal yet.

well. i've finished the game, but i have not even received my copy of the game from dvdboxoffice.com, although i ordered it in april. how's that possible? the answer: p2p.

You can why they'd think STEAM was a good idea! It's the only way to beat P2P... offering the same service, for a price.

Originally posted by pupsti

well. i've finished the game, but i have not even received my copy of the game from dvdboxoffice.com, although i ordered it in april. how's that possible? the answer: p2p.

Yeah, I had had and played the game for two hours when the UPS guy delivered the actual package.

• 1 month later...

We need 3 things:

1. Somebody needs to kill people and have Psychonauts on his computer and/or confess that it was the inspiration.

2. Double Fine needs to release a multiplayer feature.

3. We need a mod that moves the whole setting to WW2 or the Vietnam/Golf conflicts.

Seriously, don't expect it to sell so well in Germany. The magazine I read, GameStar, gives it 77%. No previews, no news about it in the mag. Only some news and screenshots on the web site.

The review itself reads like it's a good game, but it fails at delivering how nice it is and how fun to play. I'm seriously pissed at all the coverage Psychonauts does (not) get.

I wish it wasn't so expensive to develop games like it. I can live a perfectly happy life without all the people playing Psychonauts, but unless it sells well we won't get more games like that. People will play all the mainstream shít like they listen to mainstream shít and view mainstream shít on TV/DVD.

• 1 month later...

I've also noticed that very few people even know it exists. whenever I bring it up with any of my friends (Who are probably greater game nuts then I am.) they have no idea what I'm talking about. I did get one of them to buy a copy tho after I sent him a link to the trailer. It's sad when something good doesn't get the recognision it deserves.

I've also noticed that very few people even know it exists. whenever I bring it up with any of my friends (Who are probably greater game nuts then I am.) they have no idea what I'm talking about. I did get one of them to buy a copy tho after I sent him a link to the trailer. It's sad when something good doesn't get the recognision it deserves.

Yeah... some people think anything Horwitz touches bursts into flame despite its greatness. (Psychonauts, Zim, Angry Beavers)

We need 3 things:

1. Somebody needs to kill people and have Psychonauts on his computer and/or confess that it was the inspiration.

2. Double Fine needs to release a multiplayer feature.

3. We need a mod that moves the whole setting to WW2 or the Vietnam/Golf conflicts.

Seriously, don't expect it to sell so well in Germany. The magazine I read, GameStar, gives it 77%. No previews, no news about it in the mag. Only some news and screenshots on the web site.

The review itself reads like it's a good game, but it fails at delivering how nice it is and how fun to play. I'm seriously pissed at all the coverage Psychonauts does (not) get.

I wish it wasn't so expensive to develop games like it. I can live a perfectly happy life without all the people playing Psychonauts, but unless it sells well we won't get more games like that. People will play all the mainstream shít like they listen to mainstream shít and view mainstream shít on TV/DVD.

Thank you. So much.

Did anyone watch that award thingy on G4? Crashing something something? The same two games won nearly every award. God of War and Halo 2. Psychonauts was nominated for 'Best Original Game' and even 'Game of the Year'. God of War won both. God sends the day I meet someone who has heard of Psychonauts and cares enough to remember everything. I just can't believe it didn't sell more. Maybe it should've been anime, or have guns or something. D=

(and to make 4 sentences started with 'God') GOD IS ANGRY AT US BECAUSE HIS FAVORITE GAME IS HALO.

Sadly it's true, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Universal and Fox will join forces to make a movie based on Halo. Luckily Uwe Boll (bane of gaming movies) will stay far away from it. It should be out around 2007.

Archived