Home

Jedi Knight IV ??

{MOTL}thesaiyan

This is by no means a new topic of speculation, as many forum veterans can (and probably will) attest. Many JK gamers have expressed interest in a new game in the series over the past few years since JA's release.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think there will be a new Jedi Knight game anytime soon. With the release of Episode III, Lucasarts has tended to focus on that particular time frame, especially when one considers their most recent games and ones under development (Republic Commando, Lego Star Wars, the RotS games, Empire at War, etc). Moreover, Ravensoft is busy working on other projects right now, such as Quake IV and the next X-Men game.

Another thing to consider is that the JK series has had a history of long periods of stagnation. After the original Jedi Knight (which was also Dark Forces II), gamers had to wait five years (four if you count the Mysteries of the Sith expansion) for a new game in the series. Given how history tends to repeat itself, I have a sneaking suspicion that the series is undergoing another dry spell for now.

Oh, and since TK would probably point this out anyway (as he ALWAYS does for these kinds of topics :p ), there is a some debate over whether JA should be called Jedi Knight III or not, as it has never been stated clearly whether it is #3 or not. There are some who consider JA to be more of an expansion, like MotS was for JK. This is due to the numerous similarities between JA and JO (same game engine, mostly identical guns and force powers, etc). Therefore, we don't know for sure if the next game would be called Jedi Knight IV or not (though I personally think it would).

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

This is the word from LucasArts as of 5/4/2005:

At this time, we have no plans for another Jedi Knight game but we will pass along your feedback to our Production department.

Thank you,

LucasArts Public Relations

Jedi Academy came out approximately a year-and-a-half after Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy is more than a year-and-a-half old, but not only is there no follow-up game, they aren't working on one or even have plans for another one.

After what the "community" did to Jedi Academy, you can hardly blame them for not wanting to invest time, money, and effort to make a follow-up game if the same thing is going to happen to the next game.

Here is how I put it in another forum:

Originally Posted by Quigs

I think that having a game with so much variety, will help prolong the use of a game, and only improve upon your gaming experience.

Originally posted by Amidala

That's right, and that's the problem with Jedi Academy: there is so little variety. Almost all "FFA" servers are really mass dueling, no guns, no Force, "no laming" JA+ servers. The rest are Lugormod or ForceMod III RPG servers. Where is the variety?

There are only 66 Duel servers, and on a Friday night only 17 are being used, 49 of them are totally empty. There are only two Power Duel servers.

Tonight there are only 13 Siege servers with any humans on them.

There are only 25 TFFA servers, and on a Friday night all but 5 of them are totally empty.

There are only 20 CTF servers, and all but 4 of them are empty or have only bots.

Where is the variety? Because so many players have left due to boredom playing the game with 80% of it disabled, "honor codes" and "rules" that punish people for playing the game by the real rules, and abusive admins who humiliate, kick, and ban players on a whim, there isn't much left.

Meanwhile, another Quake III engine game, Call of Duty, which came out only three months after Jedi Academy, has 4,182 servers with 3,539 players tonight.

Even the oldest Quake III engine game, Quake III, has 2,755 servers with 2,630 players tonight.

Compare that to Jedi Academy, based on the same engine, and with the magic of the Star Wars universe, lightsabers, and Force powers going for it, with a pitiful 476 servers, most of which are empty, and less than 1,000 players on a Friday night.

No wonder LucasArts has "no plans for another Jedi Knight game" at this time. A "community" that punishes and humiliates players, tells players to "go play Quake or UT2004", disables 80% of the game's features, calls people who use weapons other than their favorite one "gun noobs" (imagine calling someone that on a Call of Duty or Quake III server), and uses game servers mostly to chat and play act doesn't deserve the time, money, and effort that a company and programmers put into designing, programming, and marketing a new game.

All the fools happily "punishing rule-breakers" on their servers don't realize the harm they are doing. They are too focused on controlling and dominating their own little worlds. They are missing the big picture.

Meanwhile, KOTOR came out for PC after Jedi Academy, and KOTOR II is already out. Battlefront II has been announced, even though Battlefront is less than a year old.

A "community" that actively punishes players and drives them out of the game can't prosper and thrive. Any smart game company is not going to invest time and money making a new game for a self-destructive "community", when they can get a much better return on their investment making new games for better communities.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145887

Ouch.

JA and JKII have alot of servers that are meant to keep things friendly. I think the people who really play it want to keep jerks away.

I go to a CSS Server, and I am likely to find on a well traveled server alot of Racists slinging the n word about and cursing profanity.

Alot of FFA JA Servers are mostly large community meeting and multi duel servers.

For the large part racists and people who are Jerks in general get driven away because admins are usually around.

My clan has its own server, and I change it to whatever suits me. If its a FFA game we do do FFA, but we also respect not killing ppl who are just watching as long as they are taking up space on the server. If you run away from a fight a person can kill you even if your saber is down.

I think people take the game at times way too seriously, and over do stuff like "SAY GOOD FIGHT OR JOO ARE BANNED!!". In a sword like fighting game where things are more personal and up close people tend to have less tolerence for Racists and Jerks.

I think mostly people have left because the game doesn't feel right, and there are too many exploits.

Who wants to die from a Staff Saber to the foot because it was a special? No one, the reason this game did not catch on was because of major bugs, not just because the community is a tad anal about there servers.

If there were constant updates and the use of a system like STEAM (by Valve Software) where they directly sent out information to there customers and more easily took in bug reports etc. and did more fixing then the game might have caught on.

I don't think we will see a new Jedi Knight Series game till at least after Quake IV. (I'm gonna guess and say that may well be the engine it may run on)

• 10 months later...
Who is ready for a new Jedi Knight game other then myself? And what Engine, and Company would you want to do them?

Ravensoft has the experience but maybe another company would be more passionate?

Quake IV based maybe??

Anyways what do you guys think.

God yes i'm am ready for this game.

I figure that bioware, lucasarts and ravensoft should do it all three of the best.

Doom 3 engine.

If LucasArts is ever going to make a Jedi Knight 4/Dark Forces 5, then it better be one ****ing far jump ahead of JA. JA was by no means a leap over JO, as JO was over JK 1. We need Star Wars realistic use of force powers, and lightsaber duels with real moves in which the saber hits the other saber until the loser's disarmed or whatever, not this "in and out, slash slash, heal, slash slash, in and out, repeat" crap, but I'm talking something REALLY awesome compared to any other Hack 'n Slash game for Star Wars (or any other genre, for that matter). They better not botch JK4 with they did JKA (assuming they'll make one).

:lsduel:

I'm not saying I hate JKA, but it just wasn't much of an advancement.

If LucasArts is ever going to make a Jedi Knight 4/Dark Forces 5, then it better be one ****ing far jump ahead of JA. JA was by no means a leap over JO, as JO was over JK 1. We need Star Wars realistic use of force powers, and lightsaber duels with real moves in which the saber hits the other saber until the loser's disarmed or whatever, not this "in and out, slash slash, heal, slash slash, in and out, repeat" crap, but I'm talking something REALLY awesome compared to any other Hack 'n Slash game for Star Wars (or any other genre, for that matter). They better not botch JK4 with they did JKA (assuming they'll make one).

:lsduel:

I'm not saying I hate JKA, but it just wasn't much of an advancement.

It's obvious that JA should have been an expansion. There was simply not enough material in that game to justify a stand-alone game. It was just a quick cash cow for LucasArts.

This might be what JA 4 is about.

New Jedi Order

Kyle became the academy's foremost battlemaster, a close friend of Luke Skywalker, and a respected Jedi Master, educating many famous Jedi, such as Jaden Korr. He managed to slay the former Emperor's Hand Jeng Droga. During the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, in the New Jedi Order saga, Kyle helped develop strategies against the invaders, and participated in the rescue of human captives of the Imperial Remnant world Ord Sedra from the Yuuzhan Vong. Near the end of the war, the living planet Zonama Sekot agreed to help the Republic; Kyle was one of several Jedi Knights bonded to seed-partners and provided with Sekotan starships to use in Sekot's defence.

Kyle heard a rumor that the Sith Order still existed. Due to his experiences on Drommund Kaas, Kyle investigated after the invasion, following clues from Ord Sedra in the Clacis Sector to Yaga Minor, resulting in the Cloak of the Sith. During the mission, Kyle was captured by the Dark Jedi Daye Azur-Jamin, who presumably attempted to turn Kyle back to the dark side. After a successful rescue mission led by Jan Ors and Jaden Korr, Kyle revealed all that he knew about the new threat. A Force-sensitive Yuuzhan Vong is causing havoc in the galaxy, and it's apparent that an even more powerful threat looms on the horizon.

Some time later, during the Killik Expansion, Kyle is one of four Jedi Masters who attempts to destroy the dark nest. Kyle also speaks his mind during a Master's Council session, where he stands up to Chief of State Cal Omas. He, along with Corran Horn and other Masters believed that Jaina and Zekk could be the next leaders of the dark nest. During the Swarm War, Kyle led a squadron of Jedi Stealth X's against the Killiks.

As I've said many times, I'd love to see a JK4 as much as the next fan. What would I hope for in such a game?

1- Look at what's come before, give us back some of the classic features (improved if possible) from the older games, like the auto map, morality scale, etc.

2- UT engine tech. I'm not saying copy UT2k4, but this engine has great possibilities, and runs better than Doom3 engine (which is what QuakeIV uses). Save time and money, and allow great expandability.

3- Like JK2/JA give it open modability, don't limit it like Republic Commando was limited. Support it with patches and give it multiplayer support (and use a KEYSERVER for protection like Quake3 did or the ability to ban cd keys like UT2k4 did, which is more likely to happen).

4- Support NGstats, not some crappy leaderboard substitute.

5- Give it linux support.

Heck, most of those things are just standard for UT2k4 anyway, so that's the sort of stuff I'd wish for.

What would it be about? Honestly I can see two scenarios:

1) Give us a REAL CHOICE. Morality scale, and let you branch off between "dark" and "light" early on, not just at the very end of the game, and make the levels different or the choices different and cool.

OR

2) Give us as "dark side" game. Like a what-if story about if Kyle went to the Dark Side in JK1, or MotS, or Jedi Outcast even. Think of it like a "Jedi Knight: Infinities" storyline. Or what happened to Jaden if she went Dark in JA. Something, anything, but we have not had a "Dark side" game yet (unless you count Episode III game, which by most counts was mediocre at best, and console only), so that would be great!

Retain the JK series formula of sabers+force+guns and with vehicles and stuff. Give us something like Siege, but much better, up to the quality standards of stuff in UT2k4 and other modern FPS games.

Anyway, that's what I'd wish for. But for now it's only a dream.

This might be what JA 4 is about.

New Jedi Order

Kyle became the academy's foremost battlemaster, a close friend of Luke Skywalker, and a respected Jedi Master, educating many famous Jedi, such as Jaden Korr. He managed to slay the former Emperor's Hand Jeng Droga. During the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, in the New Jedi Order saga, Kyle helped develop strategies against the invaders, and participated in the rescue of human captives of the Imperial Remnant world Ord Sedra from the Yuuzhan Vong. Near the end of the war, the living planet Zonama Sekot agreed to help the Republic; Kyle was one of several Jedi Knights bonded to seed-partners and provided with Sekotan starships to use in Sekot's defence.

Kyle heard a rumor that the Sith Order still existed. Due to his experiences on Drommund Kaas, Kyle investigated after the invasion, following clues from Ord Sedra in the Clacis Sector to Yaga Minor, resulting in the Cloak of the Sith. During the mission, Kyle was captured by the Dark Jedi Daye Azur-Jamin, who presumably attempted to turn Kyle back to the dark side. After a successful rescue mission led by Jan Ors and Jaden Korr, Kyle revealed all that he knew about the new threat. A Force-sensitive Yuuzhan Vong is causing havoc in the galaxy, and it's apparent that an even more powerful threat looms on the horizon.

Some time later, during the Killik Expansion, Kyle is one of four Jedi Masters who attempts to destroy the dark nest. Kyle also speaks his mind during a Master's Council session, where he stands up to Chief of State Cal Omas. He, along with Corran Horn and other Masters believed that Jaina and Zekk could be the next leaders of the dark nest. During the Swarm War, Kyle led a squadron of Jedi Stealth X's against the Killiks.

No offense, but I'd be saving my money if that was the game. :)

I regret to inform you after a long time of searching and mailing Lucasarts ( as ami did too) I've come to the conclusion that the Jedi Knight series will not be built upon further. We're most certain to see games like EAW2 or BF3 hitting the stores in the upcoming years, the Jedi Knight series just doesnt bring in the cash like its better-looking, playable big brothers.

However, personally I would like the new JK-styled game to be very similar to a console game qua controls.

Also:

-Ojp's saber system just HAS tobe in it, and the choice of blocking manually, also OJP fake-style.

-A lot of RPG elements, levels determined by awareness of the force.

-New abilities and force powers each level.

-Fully customizable saber hilt, and saber attacks/form.

-The star wars feeling, JKA felt nothing like starwars. Star wars is mystic, star wars is actually "feeling" the force, you got that feeling in JO where you could visit a jedi temple and see jedi training on objects with the force and sparring with their lightsabers. You could feel it when you'd go through a level and see switches, levers and objects that could be manipulated with the force. You could feel it by looking at an innocent person and seeing a plethora of different ways to kill him or to just get him out of your way.

To continue, JKA felt more like a hack and slash game with lightsabers and force powers, it had as much starwars feeling in it as maple syrup does.

We're most certain to see games like EAW2 or BF3 hitting the stores in the upcoming years, the Jedi Knight series just doesnt bring in the cash like its better-looking, playable big brothers.

Better looking? You are comparing a ~2002 game to 2005-2006 games. Of course Battlefront and EaW are better looking. It would not make sense otherwise.

Actually, I don't really see why you say BFront looks better. Graphics wise? Roughly the same. Gameplay? Different. And EaW is simply not in the same genre.

LucasArts would never tell anyone via e-mail what games they are producing. No company does that.

But of course, JA was a huge step backwards for the series. I can imagine LA being disappointed by this. But they probably don't even know WHY JA was bad.

Better looking? You are comparing a ~2002 game to 2005-2006 games. Of course Battlefront and EaW are better looking. It would not make sense otherwise.

Actually, I don't really see why you say BFront looks better. Graphics wise? Roughly the same. Gameplay? Different. And EaW is simply not in the same genre.

I wasnt comparing them, no need for such an aggressive attitude.

LucasArts would never tell anyone via e-mail what games they are producing. No company does that.

I got the same reply as another member of these boards that sent them the same e-mail, they said that they dont have any other JK series games planned.

But of course, JA was a huge step backwards for the series. I can imagine LA being disappointed by this. But they probably don't even know WHY JA was bad.

When I look at it now, I dont really think Lucasarts had alot to do with the designing of the game. Raven did most of it, no? New scapegoat!

I'd rather spend my time doing something useful, like improving the game, modding it instead of debating a pointless arguement.

Edit: scr00 it.

Archived