Home

TSLPatcher v1.2.10b1 (mod installer)

Actually, I can't. TalkEd simply closes when I try to open dialog.tlk.

(snip)

Between that and the behavior of TalkEd, I'm assuming it is just a compatibility issue.

Hmm, that's very strange. I just tested to open my KotOR1 dialog.tlk file with TalkEd and it opened without any problems. Though my K1 file has a few custom entries added and is not the original untouched file.

Unfortunately I don't seem to have an unaltered copy of that file, and I'm not too keen on reinstalling KotOR1 now just to get that one file.

Could someone else confirm if TalkEd.exe is unable to load an unaltered KotOR1 dialog.tlk file, please?

Both the TSL and KotOR1 dialog.tlk file appears to be using the TLK V3.0 format. Unless they've changed the format without changing the version number they should be the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok i am sure i am doing something wrong :giveup:... i need to add a line to the upcrystals.2da file... but i can't get it to work right... here is what i have so far for the .2da part...

First column _________________ Second column

ExclusiveColumn ______________ high()

Label _______________________ Light

template ____________________ g1_w_sbrcrstl22

shortmdlvar __________________g1_w_short03

longmdlvar ___________________g1_w_lghtsbr03

doublemdlvar _________________g1_w_dblsbr003

2DAMEMORY1 ________________RowLabel

what am I missing, please help... this i driving me bonkers :headbump not that i didn't have very far to go in the first place, hehehe :D

First column _________________ Second column

ExclusiveColumn ______________ high()

The only thing I can see wrong is this one...

There is no ExclusiveColum in upcrystals.2da! ;)

Delete this entry and it should run fine. Also why assign a 2DAMemory token to an upcrystals.2da row number? They aren't refrenced anywhere or used in any .uti files. :confused:

well thats what i was wondering, how does the patcher know to add a new line or what number to assign?

You are doing like I did... you are reading a little too much complexity into the process... ;)

If you use the function to add a new row or copy a row it assigns a new row number automatically... and you only need 2DAMemory tokens if you are needing to refrence that new 2da row number later on for things like uti files and such. :D

the last line in my 2da fils is 262... and when i run the patcher it adds the new line, but it adds it as 262, so now i have 2 262's in my 2da file...

edit: i added rowlabel high() to the head of the list and now it adds the line, but in place of the number (263) it has high() instead... weird...

Question: Do you have a stock upcrystals.2da in your tslpatchdata folder?

If you don't... then put one in there and try the install again.

Also, when you went to edit the colums in ChangeEdit, did you manually type in the rowlabels to edit or did you load the labels from upcrystals.2da?

Even more simply, check to see if your upcrystals.2da's row numbers are ordered correctly. (Look for a skipped row number somewhere below 262, if this is so then you could get 2 of the same row numbers by using the installer, then the error is with your override's 2da file.)

it didn't ask...

Yes it does, it is the Add Modifier Label box... scratch this thought! I think I found something! Bear with me! :D

This is the USM's upcrystals.2da right? Even the stock upcrystals.2da does this...

262 would be the proper row label addition for upcrystals.2da, in the eyes of the installer, as upcrystals.2da has no row 0, and most all of the other 2da files do... since the row 0 is missing the editor thinks there is one less row that there is supposed to be... hence it uses row 262.

You could test this by adding a false row 263 into your override's upcrystals.2da file and running the installer once again you should end up with 2 row 263's if this is so then I am correct.

Thankfully upcrystals.2da does not have it's row numbers refrenced by anything so 2 row 262's should not harm much of anything... our games should run fine with 2 of the same row numbers. If not then we could always bribe stoffe to fix the lack of an upcrystals.2da row 0 in the installer? :D

If this is so, this would be neither your fault, or the installers fault, but the games fault, because Bioware and OE did not follow their own 2da file formats and put a row 0 in upcrystals.2da! LOL! :lol:

EDIT: I hope I'm right, but I have to log off for tonight good luck TheOssusKeeper! :D

i added the rowlabel 0 at the beginning of the file and it worked like a charm... :D

also now i have a problem with the install files not wanting to copy into the override folder... i've got the install files set, but the patcher will not place them in the override folder, so how do i fix that?

PS. sorry it took so long to get back to you, it's raining here and i get water in my phone lines and i get kicked offline and it takes forever to log back on... :(

edit: is there a way to add the dumby rowlabel 0 at the beginning of the file via the patcher, so that it will number the new row properly?

ok i am sure i am doing something wrong :giveup:... i need to add a line to the upcrystals.2da file... but i can't get it to work right... here is what i have so far for the .2da part...

ExclusiveColumn         high()
Label                   Light
template                g1_w_sbrcrstl22
shortmdlvar             g1_w_short03
longmdlvar              g1_w_lghtsbr03
doublemdlvar            g1_w_dblsbr003
2DAMEMORY1              RowLabel

ExclusiveColumn is not a column you can assign a value to. The high() token assigns the highest value of all numbers in a column in the 2DA file, but ExclusiveColumn is no column. It's a keyword to which you assign the column label of a column in the 2DA file. The value you then assign to this column in the modifier must be unique among all lines in the 2DA file. If it is not, the patcher will modify the existing line that already had a matching value, rather than add the new line.

To use your example, if you had set ExclusiveColumn=Label, it would mean that if any line in the 2DA file already had the value Light in its Label column, that line would be modified and no new line would be added.

This function is meant to eliminate adding duplicate lines if the patcher is run on a game which already has the mod installed. Such as when doing an update to an existing mod, where you want to add lines if the player don't have the old version of the mod installed, but update what's already there (bugfixes etc) if they have the old version.

262 would be the proper row label addition for upcrystals.2da, in the eyes of the installer, as upcrystals.2da has no row 0, and most all of the other 2da files do... since the row 0 is missing the editor thinks there is one less row that there is supposed to be... hence it uses row 262.

If this is so, this would be neither your fault, or the installers fault, but the games fault, because Bioware and OE did not follow their own 2da file formats and put a row 0 in upcrystals.2da! LOL! :lol:

In all fairness I wouldn't blame Bioware or Obsidian, since, as far as I can see, the standard upcrystals.2da in 2da.bif does begin with a rowlabel of 0. :) I would guess that one of the USM people have used KotorTool's Renumber Row Labels function, which will replace all row labels and begin at 1 rather than 0, no matter what the file previously started at.

Thankfully upcrystals.2da does not have it's row numbers refrenced by anything so 2 row 262's should not harm much of anything... our games should run fine with 2 of the same row numbers. If not then we could always bribe stoffe to fix the lack of an upcrystals.2da row 0 in the installer? :D

If you don't assign a row label directly in a modifier, the patcher will make the row label the same as the line number of the new line. In files which start at rowlabel 0 (most of the standard files with numeric rowlabels as far as I know), this would be identical to the next row label in line.

I guess I didn't think of the fact that incremental row labels don't have to match the line number and didn't add support for the high(), since I incorrectly assumed that it would be the same as assigning no RowLabel. I'll have to fix that in the next version to make high() work for Row Labels too, and add a filter preventing it from adding a row with a Row Label that already exists in the 2DA.

Though in this case, as said, if the upcrystals.2da isn't indexed by the row label (which seems to be the case since the USM file works just fine despite its new row label numbering), it doesn't matter what the value in that column is, since the game won't use it.

In all fairness I wouldn't blame Bioware or Obsidian, since, as far as I can see, the standard upcrystals.2da in 2da.bif does begin with a rowlabel of 0. I would guess that one of the USM people have used KotorTool's Renumber Row Labels function, which will replace all row labels and begin at 1 rather than 0, no matter what the file previously started at.

Guilty :o

But I did notice this blunder right-offhand. Since it didn't affect anything during our test runs I left it in it's current state rather than re-number the whole .2da file again. I can however make a new 'true' index if everyone would feel more comfortable having the line 0 in it.

Just let me know :D

@TheOssusKeeper:

Try this version of the patcher. It should allow you to assign the high() token to the RowLabel when adding new lines, allowing you to get the highest row label regardless of the line numbers. Like:

RowLabel                high()
Label                   Light
template                g1_w_sbrcrstl22
shortmdlvar             g1_w_short03
longmdlvar              g1_w_lghtsbr03
doublemdlvar            g1_w_dblsbr003

@ChAiNz.2da:

I personally wouldn't bother with it. It works anyway and the Row Label isn't actually used for anything in upcrystals.2da, so it doesn't really matter. :)

There's nothing in the 2DA format in general that demands that a Row Label starts at 0. It doesn't even have to be a numeric value after all, like in plot.2da where they use tags as row label. Some files expect numeric row labels, some does not, and in some it's unused. :)

Guilty :o

:tsk: jk... :D

Actually, I do think it affects something though, after updating the upcrystals.2da... I add the crystal to the workbench, it didn't show up... so i think the workbench reads what’s in the upcrystals.2da because it didn't find the new crystal...

here's my meaning:

in the upcrystals.2da file:

row label 262

row label 262 (the patcher just dup'ed the previous rowlabel)

in the itemcreate.2da:

row label 416

( in this config. the itemcreate wouldn't recognize the new crystal at rowlabel 262 or the one at rowlabel 416, in their respective 2da files.)

same goes for this config. as well:

in the upcrystals.2da file:

row Label 262

rowlabel 0 (add for proper row label indexing)

row label 263

in the itemcreate.2da:

row label 416

(when this config didn't work either I went back and deleted the rowlabel 0 that was placed between the 262 and 263 rowlabels, then the crystal showed up and worked fine in the iteamcreate.2da...)

i got every thing working now 100%... thanx for all the help... ;)

edit: I got to think’n that maybe it didn’t recognize the new crystal because there was a break in the rowlabel numbers, i.e. rowlabel 262, rowlabel 0 and rowlabel 263? But why didn’t it recognize the dup’ed rowlabel, unless it was because it was duplicated?

Archived