Home

TSLPatcher v1.2.10b1 (mod installer)

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure this is a noobish question, but I want to make sure I don't screw anything up right off the bat :xp:

Going through the TSLPatcher Readme, it says the following for setting up your mod...

2.4.Copy all the files that belong to your MOD into the tslpatchdata folder.

2.5.Extract UNALTERED copies of any 2DA and standard game GFF format files you want the TSLPatcher to work with. These files will be copied to override and then modified if the file did not already exist in the user's override folder. Put these files in the tslpatchdata folder.

Now, I'm not doing any new content or anything for this mod. Just some edits to existing .2da's and items. That's all I can actually do right now, being a modding newb. So my modded file names are identical to the unaltered ones. If I try to do the above, one set of files will just overwrite the other, since they have the same file names.

What am I missing? Does 2.4 above only apply to NEW files your mod adds, and I should just add the unaltered copys to the folders if I'm just editing? Or am I supposed to create a sub-folder inside "tslpatchdata" for one set?

If you're just installing files (ie copying from tslpatchdata to override without having the patcher alter the files) then you will follow the directions in 2.4. If you have a 2DA or GFF file that you want the TSLPatcher to actively alter (such as you want to add a line to a 2DA, or change something in a GFF that is already in the user's override) then you follow step 2.5. The unaltered copy is to cover an instance where the user doesn't have that file already -- the patcher will copy the unaltered version you have with your mod, then make the necessary changes to it.

Does that answer your question? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to install the 'Super Skip Taris' mod.

Unfortunately, I beleive that there is the possibility that this mod THINKS it might have already been installed. [Even if that is true, the program does not work in any way shape or form]

For some reason, the 'button' at the bottom right hand corner of the screen does not appear. [it never has]

Here is a picture of how it SHOULD look... [not mine]

blahzi1.jpg

Here is a picture of how it looks when i use it;

lol.png

My theory is, that i need to uninstall the program. Since as you noticed, the dirrectory was already present on the bottom left hand side of the window [part of it is visible] This program may have already been installed, but then the entire game itself was uninstalled.

Any tips on how to solve the problem would be good. But i can tell you now it has NOTHING to do with what extractor i am using.

I've also noticed that if i take the Tsl patcher, STRICTLY for that file [if you need a picture i'll show you one] and remove it from it's other folders... it will not be able to locate any of the information it needs for installation, so when it opens it will appear blank. But even then it STILL doesn't have the button in it's bottom right hand corner.

For some reason, the 'button' at the bottom right hand corner of the screen does not appear. [it never has]

That's a weird interface glitch that some people have reported seeing, but I've never been able to figure out since I can't reproduce it. Essentially the content of the window ends up larger than the window itself, so the button (and right side scrollbar in the text box) gets pushed outside the window boundrary and thus becomes invisible. (I suspect it might have something to do with using certain resolutions or DPI settings, but that's just speculation.)

Anyway, as a workaround you can use the keyboard quick key to "press" the install button. Hold down the ALT key and press S, and the installation should start.

Ohh, I see you like ME?

Heh, I've run into a problem while testing an installer, and it has the strangest thing happen when it starts to compile the scripts.

• Error: Unhandled exception: Cannot create file "C:\Documents and Settings\....\TSLRP Compatibility Installer\backup\Modules\506OND.mod". The system cannot find the path specified (0)

It didn't look for a Modules folder in the backup when modifying the GFF stuff.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I need your help Stoffe!! again :D ... I have problem in ChangeEdit with the global.jrl, I changed the fields after doing the append.tlk but the StrRef entries are added to STRUCT ID 0 instead of the last one (117 or bigger) so I'll overwrite the garage tutorial I guess :xp: ...

How do I indicate through the GFF Field and Value boxes that the STRUCT must be added following the last one? :(

ah! almost forgot ... can I type text like it is seen in the global.jrl regular structs in the field Tag, I mean, not using a StrRef?

thanks on advance! :bot2:

A question, if I may. I want to edit existing journal entries, but am at loss how to do this using the TSL Patcher.

From what I understand, the TSL Patcher can't edit existing StrRefs in the dialog.tlk file, which would've been the easiest way of editing the journal entries. So I need to turn to the global.jrl file. I've read that the TSL Patcher treats the global.jrl as a GFF, and can add new entries to the global.jrl. But can it also edit existing entries in the global.jrl file? If so, I could redirect the StrRefs in the global.jrl entries to new entries in the dialog.tlk file, which could then be easily used by the TSL Patcher.

If it isn't possible, can someone point out to me another easy way of editing the global.jrl file?

My apologies is this has been asked before.

A question, if I may. I want to edit existing journal entries, but am at loss how to do this using the TSL Patcher.

From what I understand, the TSL Patcher can't edit existing StrRefs in the dialog.tlk file, which would've been the easiest way of editing the journal entries. So I need to turn to the global.jrl file. I've read that the TSL Patcher treats the global.jrl as a GFF, and can add new entries to the global.jrl. But can it also edit existing entries in the global.jrl file? If so, I could redirect the StrRefs in the global.jrl entries to new entries in the dialog.tlk file, which could then be easily used by the TSL Patcher.

If it isn't possible, can someone point out to me another easy way of editing the global.jrl file?

My apologies is this has been asked before.

How very odd that I have very nearly the same question. :scare5:

In your case, it depends on which existing .jrl entries you are talking about - specifically original .jrl STRUCTs or modded/added ones. The original .jrl STRUCT ID #'s are fixed, and so the original entries should have correct references to the .tlk as well considering we only append to the end of the .tlk. If you are wanting to edit/replace original .jrl entries, you would be able to enter STRUCT ID of your entry, and replace that entry with your new one, using the TYPE ID with that specific STRUCT number rather than "ListIndex".

I could be totally off base... but that's my 2c.

I just finished working with TSLPatcher for the first time, and worked things out pretty well. However, I was not sure how I might be able to detect existing duplicate STRUCTs in a modded global.jrl. I know that the merging of the .jrl does a comparison and then appends, and I may have simply missed a step that does this check. It seems reasonable that this is not possible or very time consuming/difficult, which is similar to Miltiades' query. I hope that I also have not also posted an old/answered question, and would be happy to know the thread link if I missed it!

• 2 months later...

Umm, i kinda asked for help almost like a year ago now but no one answered my question lol. The download link on 'StarWarsKnights.com' doesnt appear to work, as everytime i download the TSLPatcher i am given an unknown file that the computer doesnt recognise instead of an '.exe' file or a compressed folder, ether one i am guessing is suppose to be the correct file format.

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong or provide me with a different download link for the TSLPatcher?

Any help would be appreciated :thmbup1:

LEEch37, I just tried the link and it works fine the file is a .7z file extension and that is a 7Zip file. You can open them with newer versions of WinRar and the 7Zip program.

Anytime you have a file format you don't recognize simply put it into a search engine like Google and you can get your answer far faster. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there an easy way to uninstal ..ie restore the back up files? or do we have to search out their location one by one and restore them by hand> I may have to turn off or revert to the vanilla game to get a sequence to run, and may need to ininstall the REstored Content mod. thanks for any suggestions on this.

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to modify a dlg file with the same name in two different rims. I tried setting it up with two "!Destination" entries separating the sections, and it looks to have failed miserably (I wasn't terribly surprised, but you never know until you try it).

In case anyone's curious, it's "unk41_carth.dlg" - it's the same filename used for both the discussion on the Ebon Hawk when landing on the Unknown World (in "ebo_m41aa_s.rim"), and the beach scene following the temple (in "unk_m41aa_s.rim").

• 3 months later...

My fist attempt with the TSL patcher did not go so well. I followed the instrux, at least I thought I did, as well as stoffe's step-by-step instrux in this thread. Her step by step instrux helped me with heads.2da's. I was able to get the correct tokens into the appearance.2da for the correct npcs.

My problem is with appearance.2da and placeables.2da. The appearances are off, characters on referring to the wrong appearance line. My custom placeables do not show up at all - I do have the mdls and mdx and woks in override as well as utp's.

What I did for each is created a specific 2damemory token and assign it to the RowIndex for each per insturx. It was my understanding that is all I needed to do. Is there more? Do I need to include the RowLabel from my own 2da's as well?

Any help or clarification would be much appreciated. I'm going to start over from scratch and redo my changeedit.

EDIT:

OK, I think I figured out what I need to do. I need to edit the each individual gff file appearance 'tokens' for the utc's and utp's in order to get them to show right. My question, can the destination for the gff editor using the tslpatcher be the new .mod folder or should I put them to override. What is the order in which they are installed? Does the gff editor do the changes before the mod files are installed thereby being useless or after the files are installed to the respective folders?

OK, I think I figured out what I need to do. I need to edit the each individual gff file appearance 'tokens' for the utc's and utp's in order to get them to show right. My question, can the destination for the gff editor using the tslpatcher be the new .mod folder or should I put them to override. What is the order in which they are installed? Does the gff editor do the changes before the mod files are installed thereby being useless or after the files are installed to the respective folders?

Files that are just moved to a location (like .mod, .erf, .rim etc) will be done first before any of the files that should be modified are touched. This is done so modified files can be inserted into archive files. IIRC the patcher processes things in this order:

1. TLKList - new entries that need to be inserted into the dialog.tlk file. If the patcher finds an existing entry that exactly matches a new one it'll use that one instead of creating a duplicate.
  2. InstallList - files that are just copied to the game folder (or sub-folders) as they are. This shouldn't contain any other files that gets directly modified by the sections below; only files that does not need to be modified, or custom archive files (ERF, MOD, RIM) that will get modified files inserted into them by the sections below.
  3. 2DAList - 2DA files that need to be changed are processed next. This allows storing relevant line numbers and such in memory tokens so they can be inserted into other file types (usually GFF files) as needed. Individual 2DA files are processed in the order they are listed, which is important when 2DA files refer to lines in other 2DA files. The 2DA files to edit are first taken from the existing files in the game folder, and if not present it uses files from the TSLPatchData folder that gets copied to the proper location. As such 2DA files listed here shouldn't be on the InstallList (above).
  4. GFFList - GFF type files are updated and installed next.
  5. HackList - file byte hacks gets done next.
  6. CompileList - Scripts that needs token substitutions made before being compiled and inserted into the correct location.
  7. SSFList - Soundsets that needs the proper TLK table references updated.

With reservations for a hazy memory. I haven't touched this thing in over 3 years so I might not remember everything correctly. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived