Home

28 years.

El Sitherino

It's been 28 years since Star Wars graced our world, forever changing the way cinema would be viewed.

It's been about 15 years since it entered my life, and it's never slowed.

For those that were lucky enough to be around when it first showed at the theatres, hope you've enjoyed these 28 years.

I guess I come in the n00b category, as I was introduced to it in TPH and to be honest, haven't seen ANH. I don't remember much about ESB and ROTJ, either. I had seen those when I was, like, half my current age. But truly, a great saga. Now it's over, life goes on, but a critical asset has stopped.

*cries*

*puts on old mans cardigan*

I first watched ANH on TV in 1980, when I was 4 (almost 5).... I didnt really understand English too well back then, but fell in love with it... the ships and droids stood out in my mind from what I recall. By the time I saw ESB later that year, my English had significantly improved :)

SW was a phenomenon. Its not like today, where theres a new 'big thing' every 2nd week. Nearly EVERY kid in school was SW crazy and most of us stayed like that for a very long time, at least until 1984...

Alot of you young-uns have to remember that before the mid 80s alot of us SW fans only had seen SW just a few times on TV or in the theatres. No video/dvd where you can watch the film or fave scenes endlessly....

all SW fans were excited with the announcement of the prequels. TPM and AOTC were ok, but as GL said "not everyone would have liked those because one was about a 9 yo boy, and the other about a love story...THIS is the one people wanted to see..."

I thoroughly agree.... since glimpsing Vaders eyes through his mask during the Death Star Trench run in 1980, we always wondered what he looked like under there and how he became like that....

15 years later we find out !

Its been a LONG wait, and it still hasnt sunk in thats it's all over...

*sigh*

mtfbwya

The first time I saw SW was when the OT boxset came out on VHS, my dad got it along with TPM on VHS, I watched the OT first then TPM, the only ones I have seen at the cinima are AotC and RotS. I wonder if GL will make 7, 8 and 9 if he thinks he is running out of money, somehow I doubt it. probably for he best really. some people have mentioned the possibility of a remake of the OT, I hope that is not true.

i was 1. :D

So my first experience was from the age of about 5 to 10 where the SW movies were on tv every christmas.

Though at that age i didn't really distinguish them from all the other early 80s sci-fi films that were also on every xmas (except that my mates and i all had the toys), it was only as i got older i realised that they were far superior, and could be rewatched repeatedly without losing their shine.

Saw "Star Wars" (as "Ep. IV: A New Hope" happened to be known back then...) in 1977. I was 6. I had to beg my mother to take me. She hated sci-fi movies. She finally took me, sometime during it's first or 2nd week in release where we were. She loved it. I ended up seeing it at least 20 times in the next couple of years (which, living in a small town with only 1 movie theater, and long before VCRs, DVDs, and cable TV, was no small accomplishment.)

I then proceeded to go out and buy every Kenner SW toy I could get my grubby little hands on, and talk my mom out of the money to get. I still have most of them in storage somewhere... she would never let me throw them away, trade, or sell them.

Saw "Empire" on opening day, 2nd showing. I was 9. My mom took me to the biggest theater in Boston to see it. I remember standing outside the theater hearing people cheer during the credits. As they walked out I could hear them all muttering about "The Big Secret" and grinning at those of us waiting to get in... and I was dying to know what it was... And to see Boba Fett! I was not disappointed.

I saw "Jedi" First showing, opening day. I was 12. My mom took me out of school that day so we could get in line early. We were 2nd in line at the theater we chose.

Last weekend I took her to see Ep. III. We both loved it.

Originally posted by edlib

As they walked out I could hear them all muttering about "The Big Secret" and grinning at those of us waiting to get in... and I was dying to know what it was...

Vader is Luke's father.

Oops, sorry. :p

Anyway, I remember seeing the trilogy sometime before I moved into my new house, so sometime when I was 10 or under. Probably 8ish? Not sure, but I'm surprised I can still remember them fairly well since then. I MUST have seen them again sometime....

Man, I REALLY need to see them again. :p

I didnt had the luck to see them when they came out.

In fact my luck was other, my 2 brothers always liked Star Wars, one day they were watching ANH that was on TV and I started to see with them and that was the day that changed my life :D

I started seeing everything I could about it then :D

And after waiting 18 years (my age) I can finally say I could see the entire story.

I know I couldn't see the First Trilogy but I did see the Second Trilogy :thumbsup:

Like I read from a magazine, "It's the of an Age. The Star Wars Age." They may be right, or may not. We will have to see what happens from now on ;)

Originally posted by Kjølen

Vader is Luke's father.

Oops, sorry. :p

GRRRRRRR SPOILERS!

Anyone see that simpson's episode where Homer saw ESB and he walked out of theatre talking to his wife saying "Man, I never would have guessed that Darth Vader was Luke's father!!!" The whole crowd waiting to see the movie got mad and threw their tickets to the ground. Good times. Too bad I wasn't around.

Archived