Home

References?

I have come across three references to past LucasArts games in Psychonauts, and was wondering if anyone had encountered any others (or any references to films).

1. The obvious one: The Dumb Stump Joke from Monkey Island 1 & 3 (and was referenced the same way in Grim Fandango). Stumps that connect to a series of tunnels and catacombs. 'Use' any Stump in the game for the direct quote.

2. Lungfishopolis: 'Use' the Blimp before you free the prisoners who take it to the Dam, and Raz says "There she is..." just like Manny on the Bridge in Grim Fandango.

3. Gloria's Stage/Nightmare Hagatha Home: On the second Bad Memory stage, the Train is a flaming Dragon similar to the Number Nine in, yes, Grim Fandango.

I refuse to believe that the El Odio level doesn't contain any GF references, just a matter of looking for them.

Other potential references include:

- That Fred Bonaparte seems a bit similar to Dwayne from Day Of The Tentacle

- In the same room is the Four Dogs Playing Poker picture, which is what Edgar finally draws.

- Most of the Scavenger Hunt items seem to all be Inventory Items from most of the LucasArts adventures (save the Psychonauts Comic No. 1).

I'll leave the last three up for argument. Any others?

If you talk to Admiral Cruller after you get the canoe from him, Raz will say: "Admiral Cruller? That canoe...are you...in love with it?"

It's the way he says it that reminds me of Sal's "Manuel? Are you...in love with her?" line in Grim Fandango. It's just too similar to be a coincidence, IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does Lucas Arts and Double Fine have some type of connection then?

Yep; Tim Schafer (DF founder) used to work at LucasArts. Don't tell me you've never heard of Grim Fandango.

And speaking of references, I was poking through the soundfiles and found another one--if Raz talks to Sasha after he knows he needs a markmanship learner's permit, but he doesn't have it yet, he tells Sasha that he left the badge "in [his] other pants." Guybrush says the same thing in MI2, doesn't he? (It's file CAGH01RA, if anybody's interested in digging it up for themselves.)

A fine find!

I think I've also found the obligatory Star Wars reference. After you complete Mia's Dance Party, if you wander up to the back of the Lodge the camera pans up to show Clem and Crystal standing on the roof. If you sneak up and jump to the area under them, you can hear their whole sinister conversation. At one point, Crystal asks "We're going to be so powerful, aren't we?" and Clem replies "More powerful than you can possibly imagine."

EDIT: If you're sneaking around the sound files, it's in "camavoice" as CAMF008CM.

I've found a matrix reference.Did you notice that the brain tumbler is similar to that machine in the matrix that goes through your head?

(P.S. Sasha Nein = Neo)obviously :shades2::cool:

Eh. Kinda. They both required the person to lean back. Of course, the Matrix machine had this big phallic spiky thing that seemed to go into the base of the brain. And the Psychonauts machine has this giant hair dryer component. Other than that, uh,....sure!

I noticed something. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but...

"My name... starts with a D! is Razputin". ... D'Artagnan starts with a D.

Yeah I think that is a reference to the fact that Raz's character's original name started with a D.

I know what he means - D for Dart, or the original main character from the game (instead of Raz)! Well noticed, I didn't.

Go back to the full thread right here, where we had a big discussion about poor ol' Dart (who appears briefly poking his head out of the outhouse in the final cutscene).

(Oh, and thanks to Alien426 "The Miraculous" for that link! Guess Lucasforums couldn't find it themselves)

Archived