Home

Deep Space Strike/How to Take Out Assault Shuttles

Guest dcpianoman

Guest dcpianoman

Hey...

I'm also new here...not really new to the X-wing series (I've played and beaten on hard both the original X-wing CD and XvT) and have beaten XWA on medium (no cheats, only skipping one defective mission that was fixed by the 2.02 patch). Anyways, I'm playing this again on hard trying to beat it and am having trouble with the very first Rebel Alliance training mission. I've beaten it before and could easily beat it now by just using endless reloads of torps while avoiding the assault shuttles, but I'd like to take out those pesky shuttles and see if I can get the entire convoy. Normally I don't have any cover, either, cause only once in like fifteen times has Green Leader made it to the third convoy area. In a stinkin y-wing, I just can't seem to move fast enough to take out those assault shuttles...I've tried dumb-firing torps at it but they'll always miss when I fire outside their turret range and if I close to dumbfire 'em really close I normally don't last that long vs. two of them. Any suggestions? K_Kinneson you generally have some effective strategies...also do any of you have any idea how to get Green Leader to follow you to Target Area 3? I've tried hyping back to the Defiance, I've tried hyping directly to TA3, I've tried waiting until he has jumped and nothing has worked. I do have the 2.02 patch, btw.

You can email me at dschroder2001@yahoo.com

Dave

Well, i belive this mission is set up so your wingman is invunerable. Not sure about hard setting.

The first 2 parts of the mission are fairly easy. But before you go to the convoy, make sure your wingman hypers out first.

there are 2 Assualt Shuttles. One will target your wingman as its first choice, the other will go after you.

So it boils down to 1 ATR you ahve to worry about. The big problem about A/S is they ahve turrets, and they are murder against a slow moving target.

The one method i was able to take 'em out was in Medium. What i did was make sure my shileds were at 200% (both sides) angled the shields back, then attack the A/S with lasers and Ions... head on. As i got closer i would wait until my secondary shields were getting hit, then i switch them to double forward (you should now have 200% in front again) keep firing those lasers, and at the last second right after he turns away (imperials were never good at playing chicken) dead-fire 2 torps. he should be destroyed if you laser/ion fire was accurate.

Granted, i did this out of sheer flustration one day, and my ship was badly chewed up, but at least i was able to complete the mission.

hope it helps somewhat

Another way is to go head on to the AS and dumb fire at least 4 torps at it. You have to time it so the torps will hit the AS before you get into its weapons range (otherwise the torps get caught in the fire and go boom a bit early).

Incidentally this is also a good way to take out Corvettes, though I think you need a few more torps than the Y can carry.

• 8 years later...

Archived