Home

Woah, Missing Threads Everywhere!

Hi guys, I'm not sure you're aware of it but the OJP Forums over in the jediknight section just lost at least a month's worth of messages and threads. Is there anyway those threads could be recovered? Their contents were fairly important. :)

Thanks!

Unfortunately it looks as though everything since June 11th was lost.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here's the chronical of the past few days as I understand it.

After having consistent downtime and what have you, we ordered a new forum server.

The new server, while good, consistently had problems with its httpd which was diagnosed as a hardware fault.

The server eventually died, along with all the local backups (most recent).

An attempt was made to get remote backups from the old forum server, as they'd be the most recent set after the local copies.

More hard drive AND configuration issues with the original server due to our host.

In the end we had to copy over the raw data tables and dump/insert everything anew from a the original database from the original server.

We switched server companies, bought a separate from everything remote backup service in addition to the regular backups we make to our own hard drives.

SO is it confirmed that the threads from the last 30 days are lost or is there a possibility of retrieval.

If there lost then I have a few threads I have to make *sigh* :(

Oh well, its great to have LF back up, to those that made it happen, thanks. :)

It's really a question of whether our previous host can gather any data off the fried drive. We lost both a main drive and backup drive, but luckily we had a third version on a different server...

The good news in all of this is that we moved to a monster new server. This server is probably 3-5x faster and more powerful than our last server.

In addition, this move should fix all the downtime we were experiencing the past few weeks as we struggled with some apparently faulty hardware. It was driving us nuts to wake up each morning and find the forums down.

We think this should solve everything and we've also purchased a remote backup storage area totally seperate from the forums and LFNetwork in general which should also make sure we never lose anymore data.

So yes, we'll of course keep trying... but in the meantime enjoy the new hardware. I don't think I've ever seen the forums running so fast... it's a good thing in the end.

Ari

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

I guess I should change my avatar and sig back to normal...

I tried changing my old ugly avatar, but it won't work, although I managed to switch back to my newer sig. And a shoutout to all those who got the forums up and running faster than ever!:)

Upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin, and I suspect that much will be forgiven! :cool:

Seriously, though, a version upgrade would offer some cool options for the member as well as improve the overall look/feel and, if I'm not mistaken, the newer versions have improved handling of the databases, yes?

Still, my hat's off to you guys (Aristotle, Matt, et al) for keeping LucasForums going...

Upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin, and I suspect that much will be forgiven!

Oh... you have no idea how much is going on behind the scenes to finish up the tweaks on the html and bring vb 3.0 live.

The crew is working very, very hard to make all the current html code designs vb 3.0 compliant.

I suspect we'll be live with 3.0 in a week or two...

Stay tuned...

Erm, what does all of this vBulletin mumbo-jumbo mean? LucasForums is extremely fast from the new upgrade already, so what would this vb 3.0 thingie do to the forums?

Well, there's a LOT more options available to members with version 3.0. Too many to even mention.

In addition, upgrading to version 3.0 would make the forums even faster as it's much less reliant upon certain processes that the current version uses.

Nothing will really change other than having many more options and bells and whistles... better searches, quick posts, etc.

Unfortunately none of the "styles" you see on each forum transfer to version 3.0 .. so we have to create each style (html design) from scratch again for version 3.0. This is what some members are working hard on...

If you want to see what the new forum page will look like, click on lfnetwork.com and you'll see the screenshot of what the front page will change to.

We think folks will be very, very pleased when we're all done.

But seriously. I don't know, how do you and the others do all that stuff.

We have a great community. All you guys make us want to keep the network going.

Even though we all have real life, full-time jobs or school, we keep plugging away at it since in the end it's still fun for us.

By the way.. thanks for all the nice compliments you guys have been handing out lately, and of course we certainly appreciate everyone's understanding about the hardware crash. We're all pretty pumped about this new system though. Speedy little devil.

Hard to believe we're at 7 years and counting with LFN... boy, we're getting old. :)

Originally posted by SkinWalker

Still, my hat's off to you guys (Aristotle, Matt, et al) for keeping LucasForums going...

Hear, hear!!!

3 cheers for the Admins (and Mods!)

Hip hip, Hurrah! Hip hip, Hurrah! Hip hip ...

Seriously, thank you all for keeping it going this long, keeping control over it even when it grew to this terrific size so rapidly, and keeping it free the entire time.

It's all an awful lot to ask from volunteers.

Originally posted by Aristotle

Wow, thats great news for all of us. Thanks to the admins/super mods/mods for helping to keep this place alive and kicking, and keeping it rid of trolls and likes, everyone around here appreciates it. Even if they don't want to say it. :xp:

Originally posted by Aristotle

Oh... you have no idea how much is going on behind the scenes to finish up the tweaks on the html and bring vb 3.0 live.

The crew is working very, very hard to make all the current html code designs vb 3.0 compliant.

Stay tuned...

Wow, that's great news :D

Archived