Home

Live 8

LightNinja

Originally posted by Captain Wilson

its a shame isnt it :(.

but how long did each band get, an average of 3 songs each. Thats just silly.

Still if it does some good, who I am i to judge :)

Hey, Pink Floyd reunited for four songs: Breathe, Money, Wish you Were Here, Comfortably Numb. That right there justified the concert, even if it wasn't to fight poverty.

I have my doubts that increased aid to Africa would work anyways, since the totalitarian governments control everything down there, but still it's a good chance to increase awareness. Even if it only increases domestic charity, I still would think of it as a sucess.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Live 8 is naive bull**** with really crappy lineups.

If any of these artists really cared, they could all put together 3 years of their earnings and feed each and every African. But that's no fun is it?

I have to agree with ya.

They have tons of cash. They could do it if they wanted to.

woah. seems a lot of people really missed the point of live8 entirely (but hten since apparently most people in the US don't know what the G8 that is maybe understandable).

The point wasn't to raise money (as geldof himself was annoyed that so much of the money he raised with the original live aid went to politicians and back to the west - meaning that it only had a short term benefit).

The point was to raise awareness and put pressure on the g8 leaders meeting in edinburgh. There were three main demands:

1 - Drop the debt, so that most of the money and income in the poorest countries doesn't end up going to the richest ones. (8/10 - mostly acheived, at least for the poorest countries)

2 - Increased aid. Probably the least important of the three as it only has a short term effect. (7/10 - not bad aid package)

3 - Fair trade. Allow the producers in the poor countries to compete on an equal footing with those in the west, without being screwed by trade tarriffs and unfair subsidies. (2/10. Unfortunately not much movement).

Basicaly, while the west keeps nations in poverty it allows corruption and unfair dictatorships to flourish... which then gives bush and his supporters ammunition in their "well all the money goes to dictators" cries. Vicious circle.

It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to spread democracy by dropping debt anf free trade than by invading countries.

As for the lineups, they rocked (not all my taste, but a great mix), the concerts rocked (just for the atmosphere and some of the unexpected covers/combinations) and generally the fat they managed to unite billions of people in 100s of countries watching the same event for the same purpose made the whole thing very special. Everyone i know loved it.

PS/ There is a DVD coming out soon, so that might be a god way to give financial support...

Originally posted by toms

woah. seems a lot of people really missed the point of live8 entirely (but hten since apparently most people in the US don't know what the G8 that is maybe understandable).

I know about the G8 very well.

Originally posted by toms

The point was to raise awareness and put pressure on the g8 leaders meeting in edinburgh. There were three main demands:

2 - Increased aid. Probably the least important of the three as it only has a short term effect. (7/10 - not bad aid package)

The main focus by a lot of artists were the poor africans. Thus my comment.

And Live8 is crap, what was it people would talk about rather than the issues this was started for? Who was in the lineup.

Plus this **** didn't work before, won't work now. The government doesn't care what a bunch of pop bands and rappers think, nor do they care what their fanbase thinks. I think people should have gotten that by now. And instead of throwing a concert do an actual protest, atleast that'd be looked at in a different light than new-age-hippyfest.

I can smell the stench of your fanboyism. :p

Anyway, interesting article found here.

You'd like them too if you were intellegent.

(Zingered by the zingmaster yet again, young zinghopper.)

:D

I know about the G8 very well.

I assumed you would, what with most people here being rather intelligent. ;-) But a lot more people in the US now know what the g8 is and what it's power is than did before. That in itself is possibly worth it.

There seem to be two debates here... the lineup and the purpose.

The lineup was awesome. Its no surprise that people only got two or three songs because there was so many of them. Even then they managed to fill almost 64 hours of time with music... because practically every band that anyone has heard of was involved in one of the concerts.

They might not have had a few nice-markets covered (thoughthe ones in berlin, the eden project etc.. had much more obscure music types) but for concerts like this the crowd needs songs that they know. Putting on some death metal band no-one had heard before would have killed the crowd, same as putting on a britney record at Ozzfest.

The purpose was awareness and pressure. I dunno how well it went down in the US, but in the UK it was huge. Almost every person has a "make poverty history" wristband (at £1 a go), at least 20 million texts were sent to the ticket lottery (again at £1 a go, so that is a lot of money raised for something who's main purpose wasn't even to raise money).

Over 5.5billion people watched some of the concert, so even if only 10% of them picked up on the message that is still a lot.

And, as geldof repeated pointed out in the concerts, the concerts weren't the point, they were the start. The point was the march/demonstration in Edinburgh a few days later. Unfortunately this got overshadowed in the news by the London Bombings. About 250,000 people did make their way to edinburgh (not easy btw) to march though.

They did get reasonable concessions from the g8 leaders, and for that it was worth it. Of course they didn't get everything, and the leaders used some of the publicity for their own ends. But it was still an impressive undertaking and a nice demonstration that the will of the people can sometime still be heard and still force politicians to listen.

One of the most impressive things the world is likely to see for a long time from a musical or a democracy point of view imho.

....they could all put together 3 years of their earnings and feed each and every African. But that's no fun is it?

of course its no fun man!! whose gonna pay for the damn drugs n hookers... it's rock'n'roll baby!!! :p

mtfbwya

*looks at his Floyd albums*

hmm..... just because I like Floyd a lot doesn't mean I have to support everything they do.

Of course you dont...:p *pats head*

Now, the reason I loved the Pink Floyd performance is because it was their first time together in years...and I thought that they did a pretty good job. Except....Waters sounded really old...

Now, The Who...I gotta say they did AWESOME. The scream at Won't Get Fooled Again was just as great as he did it like 30 years ago.

Paul McCartney was pretty good. Helter Skelter was totally unexpected, but it was awesome.

I still gotta download more performances....but from what I saw...the old bands did great.

And then the new pop artists completely destroyed it. Might I mention Snoop Dogg?

Yeah....I'm uh....definately not gonna download his performances.

Drop it like it's hot? :confused:

Edit:

Now might also be a great time to say that Mariah Cary (sp?) TOTALLY PISSED ME OFF during Hey Jude. Everyone was normally singing the "Na na na's", but noooo, her being the BIG S*** she is had to add her poppy "Naaawaaawwaahhhh's" and stuff. I don't know why it made me so mad. It just did.

Originally posted by Acrylic

Yeah....I'm uh....definately not gonna download his performances.

Drop it like it's hot? :confused:

It's always hot in Africa.

The thing that bothered me is everytime I even glanced upon the feed it was some spunky retard VJ from MTV going on about how millions of Africans are dying of starvation but breaks up mid sentence to go "OMG WE JUST HEARD WHO'S COMING UP ON THE LINE UP!"

The message was rarely ever stated.

And if anything was said it was about starvation. Like I said if any of the artists cared they could easily give money to help these people. But it's about publicity. Hell Snoop Dogg's bling alone could probably feed all of Nigeria.

Furthermore, I only heard G8 mentioned once, and that was near the beginning.

The lack of display of their proposed message hardly shows a force to be reckoned with. And honestly, how naive do you have to be to believe this will even impact the political heads or even the populace. 2 weeks from now they'll all go back to their fads saying "G8? did 50 make a new super group?"

Originally posted by Acrylic

Now might also be a great time to say that Mariah Cary (sp?) TOTALLY PISSED ME OFF during Hey Jude. Everyone was normally singing the "Na na na's", but noooo, her being the BIG S*** she is had to add her poppy "Naaawaaawwaahhhh's" and stuff. I don't know why it made me so mad. It just did.

Like I said, anytime we had something great (mostly from older artists) we had these new pop artists come and ruin it all.

Who?

Sounds like MTV's coverage wasn't that great. BBC's coverage wasn't perfect, but it did mention the message quite a bit, and talk to a lot of people related to the political side (as well as a lot of pop stars and other famous people).

They mainly showed the London gig, but cut to either studio interviews or other concerts during the gaps between sets.

Bob geldof mentioned repeatedly what the point of it all was, and that the concerts weren't the point, just the lead up to the edinburgh march. Shame if mtv cut all that.

Since Bob and Bono were actually IN the g8 summit talking to leaders they must have made SOME impact.

Mariah Carey did suck (i hated it when she brought on the african choir and kept desperately pointing them out. )You could just imagine her diva-tantrum backstage. "But I want an african choir!!!". then she started demanding a mike stand. Crowd hated her.

Not to mention that, although she herself is very well known, no-one could name a single song of hers... i guess in hindsight that shows how she ranked against artists like madonna.

Most of the new bands rocked though. Razorlight were by all accounts one of the big hits of the day. Robbie williams had the entire crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. Kasier Chiefs absolutely ROCKED in philly. Black Eyed Peas (plus marleys) also rocked. Faithless kicked butt in berlin. etc...

The main focus of live 8 was to try and establish fair trade in africa. As some people said, why not just get all these rich artists to give there money away? Well its because that would help, in the very short, term and only help a small percent of the african population, solving no long term problems.

By rasing awareness, it could convice poeple to put pressure on there goverments to introduce fair trade.

I watched a little of the Live8 concert...I wasn't all that impressed with Pink Floyd, myself, although I do like their music, and Paul McCartney just about made my head explode when he tried to hit a high note - he need to realize that he's not as young as he used to be.

As for the agenda of Live8, from what I can see, only one of their goals is valid, and that is free trade. From what I remember, the US dropped something like $40 million (or was it billion?) in African debt prior to the G8 summit.

Giving more money to African nations isn't going to help anything - and if that's what these musicians were after, I agree that they should band together to donate from their own millions, rather than pressuring world leaders to get the rest of us to pay for it. But I think that it is painfully clear that problems cannot be solved simply by throwing money at them - and this is how African poverty has been treated for far too long.

Ultimately, about the only thing that can draw African nations out of poverty is the reformation of their governments, but free trade will definitely help.

Originally posted by rccar328

As for the agenda of Live8, from what I can see, only one of their goals is valid, and that is free trade. From what I remember, the US dropped something like $40 million (or was it billion?) in African debt prior to the G8 summit.

It was announced/leaked before the summit, but only really got going due to the pressure that the organisation of live8 had already put on the politicians (mainly tony blair and gordon brown).

It was obvious from moment live8 was announced (well before the concerts) that it was going to be huge. And as always with politicians they wanted to seem to be popular and hip so they jumped on the bandwagon.

The thing about these summits is that it is pretty much all worked out in advance.. appart from rubber stamping and a bit of last minute posturing at the actual summit.

I guess you COULD argue that maybe the politicians would have written off the debt anyway, but personally i doubt it (or at least nowhere near as much).

So really, by the time the actual concerts happened most of the hard work had already been done... the concerts and march were partly a celebration of that, and partly a way to say "we're still watching you - don't wuss out".

----

I don't really get the "musicians should give money" argument. Smacks of jealousy to me. Many of the big artists DO give money all the time, they just don't go on about it. And i doubt that even combined ALL the artists could have contributed as much as they raised simply through the text lottery/dvd/cd sales.

Most of the newer artists don't have huge fortunes, and even if the old artists had donated all their money, how would that have helped put pressure on the governments?

From what i hear Pink Floyd album sales went up by 1500% after live8, and they've said that they won't take any money from that.. it will all go to charity. Several others have done likewise.

"Sure Superman you saved the guy's life -- but you strained his neck."

Archived