Need some PC tech help.

Mex

Specs :

3.0ghz Pentium 4 ED HT

XFX 6600 gt 128mb

1 gig of ram

Motherboard - Asus P4s800

Creative Audigy 2 ZS

For some reason every day or so my framerate will just randomly drop to half of what it's supposed to be, sometimes worse for no apparent reason, and it'll last until I reinstall my graphics card drivers.

I've tried tons and tons of drivers, beta drivers, official drivers, modifed drivers, everything and it does the same thing every single time.

It only started happening since I installed the new motherboard and processor, I've reinstalled all drivers on my system and it does the same thing. I'm sure it's not the cooling, even if i put a fan next to the pc it'll still do it.

This problem has been driving me crazy, and I just can't figure out a way past it. If anyone could search up some solutions or something that might help the problem I'd be eternally greatful. :)

Originally posted by Tyrion

Change the drivers for your motherboard. If there's a problem with your graphics card and changing it's drivers doesn't work, then it's nearly always the motherboard drivers.

I switched them aswell and the same problem has happened once, but it hasn't happened again yet. Later on when I get back from school I'll play a few games and see if it does it again.

Originally posted by Pal™

...It only started happening since I installed the new motherboard and processor...

I think you may have to look more into whether your Asus works well with your gfx card.... try a tech support forum ! Arent I just so helpful !! :(

Originally posted by StormHammer

If your new MoBo/CPU needs more juice, check to see your PSU is powerful enough to cope with extra demand.

Any idea how I can find out how powerful the PSU is? Is there a label on the back, or a program I could use?

Edit : Yes it's on the PSU itself, it is 350W. That should be powerful enough shouldn't it?

Originally posted by Jo

350 isnt conna cut it for a 3gig processor buddy. I think you found the problem there. You definately need to up your power supply.

Oo-err. Thats going to be a bit hard. I don't have a job. I better get one soon, I don't want my pc getting any worse than it is now.

Edit : How much W should my new power supply be? Around 450-500?

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Best to just invest in a nice 500 - 550.

I guess you're right, since I might buy a new graphics card. And don't worry I won't make a thread about it, I've already picked out some ones that I might get. :xp:

Edit : Oh and thanks for your help guys, been trying to figure out what the problem is for a while.

Archived