Home

Best Spyware Program?

Darth Groovy

Hey guys, after my dad's computer finally bit the big one, he had to have his hard drive replaced. The one thing that crashed his compy was spyware that the Circuit City people could NOT remove.

I need to know what is the BEST spyware program available to the public. I don't care if it is free, or subcrition based....this question is basically for my dad. Price is no object....only protection.

Thanks,

Grooves :cool:

I also use both AdAware and Spybot S&D. It should be enough to keep a computer safe from spyware if updated and used on a regular basis.

The bigger problem usually only appear if you computer has been infected by virii or spyware and wasn't treated adequately. In that case it's possible that neither AdAware nor Spybot would be able to remove the "tougher" ones. You might have to use software like Hijack this to remove them one by one.

However, if you even encounter a spyware named CoolWebSearch you'll need a software called cwshredder to take care of it as it is probably one of the nastiest spyware. The software was made specifically to remove this spyware, this shows you how nasty it is ;)

Hope this helps a little...

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Microsofts spyware scanner is still in beta, so its free, untill... july 31 I think.

My dad's good friend and business client is the manager of the anti-virus department of Microsoft so we got the beta version a long time before it was released. I just haven't had to put it on my comp.

And yes, its July 31st ;)

Like mentioned above; SBSAD and adaware, plus others I grabbed.

Gotta watch out for non-recommended spyware progs, though. Some trial versions will make up files that aren't harmful (if anything) and ask you to buy the full version to remove it.

Also, the best thing I've ever used is Foxfire.

Foxfire - IE = no popups, spam, adware, etc.

:cool:

Originally posted by [RAA]-=Chi3f=-

Foxfire - IE = no popups, spam, adware, etc.

:cool:

Do you mean Mozilla Firefox?

If you do then the browser is pretty good. I dont really mind internet explorer because I have a program that eliminates pop-ups and detects unwanted viruses and trojans. I do use Firefox though because it is pretty easy to navigate in.

My protection regimen:

ALL the latest Windows and Office security updates.

The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0 ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Baseline_Security_Analyzer_d4105.html ) should tell you what you need if you don't have it.

Spybot Search & Destroy

Microsoft Anti-Spyware

SpywareBlaster

WinPatrol

(Enable Real-Time Protection on at least one, if not all of the above)

Ad-Aware

Noton Anti-Virus

Zone Alarm (plus a hardware firewall built into my router)

Firefox

(or, if you have to use IE, then get WebWasher)

Also, go to the http://www.grc.com/default.htm website to download and run all the various protection applets he has there.

That should be a good start.

I vote for claria as best spyware... it must be. MS just downgraded it's threat rating in MS anti-spyware... not at all related to the rumours they are about to buy them. apparently. :D

I think its all been covered. I use Ad-aware, Spybot S&D every so often. Also spywareblaster.

AVG for antivirus and kerio personal firewall 2.15 (not the new version) for firewall.

HijackThis and cwsshredder are well recommended for specific problems.

Firefox unfortunately is no longer as secure as it was (due to its increased popularity making it a target) but its still pretty good.

Grooves, spyware can crash your system, but it cant destroy a HDD man, c'mon ! If the HDD was broke, then it was broke...

*stabs Circuit City bumpkins*

anyways, these are musts to keep your Old Mans compy clean.....

note, alot of the JUNK out there comes from "questionable sites", so where has your old man been surfin exactly !!! eg. If he was just checkin CNN.com and writing emails the likelihood of him snaring nasty trojan/hijackers drops *dramatically* :p

this is what you will need :

*Good AV proggie, and active definitions subscription. Mcafee or Norton Internet Security..cant go wrong with either. Nb. as exciting and trendy as firefox is, neither major internet security proggie integrates well with it :( Hopefully they'll fix that next year :(

*ad aware - personal SE is free and updates definitions free

*spybot Search and Destroy - also free and updates definitions free.

and please DONT forget, as so many people seem to... a REGISTRY SCANNER ! TweakNow registry cleaner is a good free one. If you want a nice pay one, then Registry Mechanic is your best bet, awesome deep scan mode which pulls up crud you thought you got rid of ages ago.

I'd also teach the old man how to do regular 'disk cleanups' and defrags

did I hear someone mention MS AntiSpyware.... you're jokin right :p

it finds hits that arent there to make you feel its freakin useful... It did it on a HDD I had that was one hour old and had just been installed.... laughed my damn backside off...

*stabs MS*

@Edlib, thats alot of security measures you seem to have goin, whatcha got on your HDD ?? Plans for a time machine or somethin !!!!

mtfbwya

I've never had any luck with registry cleaners, and i've tried several of them over the years. They never seemed to improve anything, and often seemed to make things worse.

Maybe i've just had bad luck with them though..

PS/ the BEST way to stop spyware is to disable ActiveX in IE, and if possible disable javascript and flash as well. Or get javascript/flash authoriser extensions for firefox.

This might be too annoying and stop you using some sites though.

That and reading EULAs, but that is even more annoying...

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

@Edlib, thats alot of security measures you seem to have goin, whatcha got on your HDD ?? Plans for a time machine or somethin !!!!

No, nothing so dramatic. I do have a few files of music CDs I've recorded and/or mastered, plus the artwork that I designed to go with them, and my backup habits are a bit spotty at best, so I tend to go a bit overboard.

I keep Spybot running in the background, and then do periodic checks with the others for confirmation/ second opinion. I usually come up clean these days.

I've never had a crippling virus infection or a spyware infestation, and I just want to keep it that way.

But I often get called on to fix the PCs of clueless co-workers and thier families, and I always burn a CD with the install files of all those programs I listed before on it before I go in (with the exception of AVG anti-virus instead of Norton.) I tend to slather on the security stuff much heavier on someone known to already had a problem that I've had to come in and salvage than I would for myself or someone I trusted.

The MS Anti-Spyware is just another tool. I don't put any more or less trust in it than I do any of the others. I always double check any file any of them tell me to delete before diving in. (Actually, I'm not even sure it has ever found anything on my system...) I don't remember it getting so villified before Microsoft offered it, when it was Giant. Besides, even Spybot has false positives... a lot of them in my experience.

I haven't tried MS-antispyware... but from the screenshots it seems they have made a better user interface that will work well for newbies... and if they include it as a standard upgrade (or in the next version of ie) then it will at least give SOME protection to a lot of people who otherwise would have none.

The main flaw in oth this and ad-aware seems to be how it judges teh level of threat.

Ad-aware seems to imply that most levels ofd threat are similar (at least until recent versions) so people would think they had 2000 spyware programmes on their pc, when infact they had 3 malicious programmes (serious) and 1997 ad-tracking cookies (not really much of an issue). they seem to have treid to fix this a bit in recent versions.

MS-antispyware seems to be iffy in the other way. Ift finds a few false positives (usually p2p/open source related) and treats certain threats as non-serious that others would consider moreso. (see claria).

For newbies its better than nothing though. But if, as usual with MS bundled versions of stuff, it becomes standard in most web browsers then its going to become the standard for everyone to break (like IE has become), so its probably still worth keeping the others around for the same reason its worth having firefox instead of IE.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, after my dad's computer finally bit the big one, he had to have his hard drive replaced. The one thing that crashed his compy was spyware that the Circuit City people could NOT remove.

I need to know what is the BEST spyware program available to the public. I don't care if it is free, or subcrition based....this question is basically for my dad. Price is no object....only protection.

Thanks,

Grooves :cool:

best spyware removal program is switching to Firefox other wise use multipule different ones since they all work in different ways

at work we use ad-aware se

Archived