Home

Voice acting

VampireNaomi

What do you think of the voice acting in The Dig? Many reviewers have said that it's very blank and that the actors fail to express any sort of emotion through the characters.

I loved the work Steven Blum did as Brink, especially when the scientist had gone insane. It was really, really creepy.

Robert Patrick, on the other hand... I think his voice was good when Low was observing his surroundings or just having a regular conversation, but the minute there was supposed to be more emotion it got bad. To me it seemed like he was just reading his lines aloud at some points. He wasn't a bad actor and his voice suited the character, but I wish he had done just a little bit better.

As for Mari Weiss, she did pretty good job. Though I wish she had used a different tone every now and then. She delivered every line in the almost same way.

My favourite actor in the game was no doubt Leilani Jones, even though she had such a small role. I really like her deep, soft voice.

Now, before you kill me for saying something negative about the game, share your opinions on the voice acting.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems no one came here to kill you.

I think sometimes Steven Blum's acting turns a bit cliché. But then he has some awesome moments.

For me the best was the creator. I think that was James Garrett. Besides his voice being proceced I think he did a great job.

I would say that the overall quality of voice acting is pretty good, not memorable, but quite good for being a game.

By 1995 game "talkies" were just beggining to exist, therefore any actor had no experience in that field, which is quite different from any other way of working.

• 2 weeks later...

random trivia:

mari weiss appeared in episode 1.10 of desperate housewives entitled 'come back to me' playing the lawyer mrs. mcready........

it's always a bit of a shock to me when i see what these people actually look like :S (since i'd always pretty much imagined her to look like maggie robbins)....

anyway...

now that i think about it some of robert patricks voice acting was quite crap, but i always found those bits funny (all those times when he's making those speeches about sticking together, that he's in command, etc)... i think it adds to the flavour.

but yeah, my favourite is definitely stephen blum... he sounded so o.t.t. at times it was hilarious...

:)

No, I haven't played that game, but you don't need to whip me. I've been searching for it, but it's pretty hard to get in this part of the world. I'll continue keeping my eyes open.

mari weiss appeared in episode 1.10 of desperate housewives entitled 'come back to me' playing the lawyer mrs. mcready........

Really? Wow, that's funny. Patrick Doullaghan, the guy who voiced Domino in Grim Fandango, also appeared in that series.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the only voice in the game I didn't like was Maggie's. Like VampireNaomi said, it was always using the same tone. For example, when she says "Cutting Brink's hand would be terrible" (or something similar), it's like she's ordering a pizza or something :lol:. This was specially "shocking" for me because the first time I played the game, it was the Spanish version with Spanish voices, and Maggie's Spanish voice is so much "reflexive" and "profound"... so I was a bit dissapointed when I played the English version.

I liked Low's and Brink's voices, but I agree with you: they still can be much better. The problem is that it seems like the actors didn't know very well what was happening in the screen.

I think The Dig is the only LucasArts adventure where I prefer the Spanish voices and acting instead of the original version. Anyway, I don't think the voice acting was BAD, it could be better but not bad at all for the time the game appeared.

Archived