Home

One of those threads where...

Lady Jedi

....we discuss music! Yay!

So what's everyone listening to lately? Genres, artists, etc. As for me, a lot. To be more specific:

Rock:

Creed - Weathered and Human Clay

Nickelback - Silver Side Up and The Long Road

Evanescence - Fallen

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball. She has an amazing voice, and this album has something of a lingering and haunting sound. So good. :)

Shooter Jennings - Put the 'O' Back in Country. Yup, the son of Waylon Jennings. Great album. If you like the classic country like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc. you'd probably like this.

Kenny Chesney - No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems

Other:

Live - Awake: The Best of Live. Great. Somewhat addictive.

The Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart. Not their best, but very good.

Plus plenty more. How about you guys? :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently heard 2 Fall Out Boy songs, and really liked them. So Bongo(Bob)'s gonna send me some more in the mail, along with bunches more music. :)

I also discovered an old song that I used to listen to years ago. Fastball - The Way. Tis a nice song.

Weeeeeeeee, am music thread...:)

Jazz-

John Coltrane

Charlie Parker

Charles Mingus

Art Blakey

Wayne Shorter

Wynton Marsalis

Duke Ellington

Benny Goodman

Arty Shaw

Herbie Hancock

Stan Getz

Nick Brignola

Oscar Peterson

JJ Johnson

Ben Webster

... I could literaly go on for ever.

- Classic Rock

AC/DC

The Stones

Queen

The Who - Pinball Wizard = the shiznit

Creedance Clearwater Revival

Tom Petty

Led Zeppelin

Chicago

Funk-

Tower of Power

The Commodores

Lionel Richie

Jaco Pastorious

Disco-

Da' Bee Gees

Ya, I like music. Especially Jazz, cause i'm a cool cat :D

I also discovered an old song that I used to listen to years ago. Fastball - The Way. Tis a nice song.

Hey, I haven't heard that one in ages. Great song. It can get stuck in your head for days. Days I tell you! :D

- Classic Rock

Creedance Clearwater Revival

Awesome stuff there. Jackson Browne and The Eagles are good too. :)

Anyone heard of Calexico? No? Didn't think so. Heh. Anyway I've got the CD Hot Rail and it's awesome. Recommended by a friend of a friend of my brother's. So good. Some songs are instrumental, others have lyrics, and most of them have a Mariachi band. :D

T minus 30 posts until flame war ignition....

I like good music. Doesn't matter what genre, as long as its good. True, my iPod contains mostly Rock, with decent dashes of Jazz, Blues and Classical, but I have two hip-hop songs and a little Beatles to boost. List you say?

AC/DC, Purple, Zep, Aerosmith, Sabbath, Aunt Mary, Doors, Velvet Revolver, Eagles, Zappa, Gluecifer, GNR, Meat Loaf, Bowie, Floyd, Stones, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Bach, Blues Brothers, John Coltrane, Dylan, Miles Davis and so on and so on.

w00t for teh creed fans!

*dodges fists and thrown objects*

but I've been listening to mezmerize by system...

alot of The Mars Volta - deloused in the comatorium and frances the mute...

Macross Plus soundtrack I & II

311 - 311, grassroots, transistor, evolver...

bunch of others that elude me right now

Kingdom Hearts Original Sound Track

FF7 Original Sound Track

Seal - Fly like an Eagle

The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

Fall Out Boy - Dance Dance

Fall Out Boy - Sugar We're Goin Down

Outkast - B.O.B.

Outkast - Ms. Jackson

Cat Stevens - Peace Train

Snow Patrol - Run

Blink 182 - First Date

:D

The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Nirvana, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Buffalo Springfield, The Meat Puppets, Santana, The Pixies, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Metallica, The Shins, The Goo-Goo Dolls, Weezer, Vivaldi(w00t!), Queen, and The Presidents of the United States of America are what I'm most interested in right now.

There's also Stanley Jordan, and while I'm not too keen on his songs he's an awesome guitar player and can do a wicked cover of Eleanor Rigby.

It's strange, but I'm much more interested in the older music like from the 60's and 70's than the newer stuff from the 90's and this decade.

Edit- Lady Jedi, is The Wallflowers the band with Jason Dylan as the lead singer?

Edit- Lady Jedi, is The Wallflowers the band with Jason Dylan as the lead singer?

It's Jakob Dylan. ;) Yeah, that's the band. I've never liked Bob Dylan, but his son's got it nailed. :D I've got all their albums except for the first, and I think that Breach is the best. Then Rebel, Sweetheart and Red Letter Days, with Bringing Down the Horse being my least favorite. Their music is just great; I can get totally pulled in with it. :)

Bought an early Danny Gatton CD today: "Unfinished Business"

Been looking for that one for years.

Still looking for early Allan Holdsworth (Metal Fatigue) on CD though...

Recently bought Eric Johnson's new CD "Bloom" been listening to that one a lot, although it really doesn't compare to his earlier ones.

In the car I have Steely Dan, Yes, Rush, and the G3 concert disc with Satriani, Johnson, and Vai.

Saw a televised concert last night of Garbage (Shirley Manson is kinda hypnotic to watch...) doing some of thier new stuff, which inspired me to dredge up some mp3s of them I have, and I have been listening to them most of the day.

Originally posted by edlib

In the car I have Steely Dan...

:eek: Holy Crud,

I *heart picture *Steely Dan. My dad is an uber fan and we have almost all thier CD's, even though the lead singer looks like a vampire.

I was actualy listening to Two Against Nature and Aja the other day. Say, what are your favorite Steely Dan songs?:D

Anything off "The Royal Scam" especially 'Don't Take Me Alive' and 'Kid Charlemagne'

Also:

Bodhisvatta

Charlie Freak

Pretzel Logic

Lunch With Gina

Do It Again

I mean, it's all good! Hard to choose. Depends what mood I'm in...

A couple of other things that I've been listening to lately (as evidenced by the CDs being piled up next to the PC):

Dream Theater: Images and Words

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Couldn't Stand the Weather

More Steely Dan (Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied)

The Allman Brothers Band: Dreams - Disc 3 and 4

Right now, as I type this, I have Iron Maiden's "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" playing.

wow, a music thread not started by Pie/Gothix or Groovy :p

I cant be bothered listing things... save to say that I am listening to a little less metal at the moment and a little more drum'n'bass, namely ive switched from brutal riffs and vocals to brutal basslines that have literally wrecked the speakers in my car :( (gonna cost me $300 to freakin fix!) check my sig link if curious. Plus the ladies at drumnbass gigs are far sexier than the trolls you get at metal concerts :D

mtfbwya

Artists in no order: Moby, Chronic Future, Paul Oakenfold, Green Day, Scape Goat Waxx, Jurrasic 5, Weird Al, Ramones, AC/DC, Blood Hound Gang, AfroMan, Eminem, John Mayer, Blur, Bare Naked Ladies, Linkin Park (STFU, I own one CD), Gorillaz, some Metallica, some System of the Down.

Check out the Feel Good Inc. Music Video, its pretty damn cool.

Favorite genres:

1. Alternative

2. Dance/Techno (not trance)

3. Pop/Rap

4. Rock

5. Classical (I like the powerful stuff)

I would more likely kill you if you listened to:

1. Country

2. Blue Grass

3. Honky Tonk

>_< :p

TiE

Lately...

• Barenaked Ladies - Maroon [Go Home is one of my favorite tracks >_>]
  • The Wallflowers - Red Letter Days/Bringing Down the Horse/Breach [i HATE their first album, and [i]Rebel, Sweetheart[/i] isn't really my cup of tea]
  • David Bowie - Heathen [One of my favorite Bowie albums]
  • Fastball - Keep Your Wig On [their lastest album, which is really a LOT better than Harsh Light of Day]

Other artists: Aerosmith, Elton John, Matthew Good, The Beatles, Creedance Clearwater Revival, AC/DC, Bee Gees, ELO, Matchbox 20...

Favorite genres and artists within the genre I like most:

Gothic rock/new wave

Bauhaus

Sisters Of Mercy

Joy Division

Depeche Mode

The Cure

Gothic Metal

Nightwish

Epica

Trail Of Tears

Sirenia

After Forever

Lacuna Coil

Leave's Eyes

Powermetal

Iced Earth

Hammerfall

Dream Evil

Sonata Arctica

Siebenburgen

Death metal

Morbid Angel

Arch Enemy

Illnath

Summoning

Goatwhore

Yeah. I was bored and decided to mention some bands. :p

Originally posted by Jed

[*]David Bowie - Heathen [One of my favorite Bowie albums]

Now, would you recommend Heathen over The Man Who Sold the World? I'm wondering what Bowie album to get next, 'cause I only have Diamond Dogs.

Originally posted by Tyrion

Now, would you recommend Heathen over The Man Who Sold the World? I'm wondering what Bowie album to get next, 'cause I only have Diamond Dogs.

Well Heathen is definitely a lot different than earlier Bowie stuff. If you're more of a fan of Diamond Dogs, I'd say stick with The Man Who Sold the World.

Also, I highly recommend picking up the Best of Bowie 2CD set - helps you discover which stuff you'd like the most, and it's an awesome collection.

Originally posted by Herminator

T minus 30 posts until flame war ignition....

Indeed.

Originally posted by Herminator

I like good music. Doesn't matter what genre, as long as its good. True, my iPod Touch contains mostly Rock, with decent dashes of Jazz, Blues and Classical, but I have a few hip-hop songs and a little lot of Beatles to boost. List you say?

AC/DC, Purple,Zep, Aerosmith, Sabbath, Aunt Mary, Doors, Velvet Revolver, Eagles, Zappa, Gluecifer, GNR, Meat Loaf, Bowie, Floyd, Stones, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Bach, Blues Brothers, John Coltrane, Dylan, Miles Davis and so on and so on.

^

I also have a lot of vocal trance because Trance > House, D&B, and Breakbeats.

Archived