Home

One of those threads where...

Lady Jedi

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mike Windu

Such varied taste GothiX :D. All categories have either gothic or metal in them.

<3

Listen to Bauhaus, then listen to Hammerfall. You'll see that they're nothing alike. ;)

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

the new album is pretty good imho. :)

Yeah, it is. I love how they combine sirene female vocals with deep grunts.

Two of my all time favorite bands have recorded new stuff lately, and they've been in pretty steady rotation around my place.

B0009NSE1K.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The new Clutch is great. But even though it's not out yet, I've heard all of the new Soilent Green. I can't say enough good things about these guys. Easily my favorite band ever, and some of the most complicated non-hair metal ever made.

6644LP_216.jpg

Recently:

Razorlight & Kaiser Chiefs (since they rocked on live8)

Secret Machines - Especially "Sad and Lonely"

Experimenting with The Magic Numbers, but not sure if i like them or not yet.

Faithless - Greatest Hits

Groove Armada - Greatest Hits

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyse

Went to a festival yesterday, but that was all unsigned bands. Most of them rocked though.

Heh.. Live..

Used to listen to Throwing Copper all the time at my mates house while we were drinking vodka and watching skate videos while getting ready to go out on a saturday night. (years ago, when i was 17 or so).

Heard it at a party recently and that prompted me to download the album.

First half is great, second half sucks... but i'm not sure if that is because we never got as far as the second half of the album back then.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by edlib

Also:

Bodhisvatta

I never get sick of Steely Dan. Bodhisvatta has one of the most amazing guitar solos I have ever heard recorded.

Two of my favorite karaoke jams are "Do It Again" and "FM".

Lately I been feeding myself on a steady diet of Nine Inch Nails. I love the new album, despite what others are saying, it's fantastic. Trent's lyrics are usually craptastic, but you listen to it for the production values. The album is more solid than past works, and sounds more organic, and less digital. The work from guess musicians pays off better in this one than it did on The Fragile.

Originally posted by Tyrion

Now, would you recommend Heathen over The Man Who Sold the World? I'm wondering what Bowie album to get next, 'cause I only have Diamond Dogs.

Well Tyrion, you COULD go with the double disc compilation, but it was limited, and MAY be hard to find, unless you get it second hand. Since you are more of a "classic rock" type guy, I think your next choice should be The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, and the Spiders From Mars, followed by Aladdin Sane. Both those albums feature his classic line up, of Trevor Bolder, Mick Ronson, Mike Garson and Mick Woodmansey. "Ziggy" is considered to be one of the most classic of the Bowie collection and his first "Concept Album". "Diamond Dogs, is a concept album only because it was his failed score to a musical version of George Orwell's 1984. When Orwell's wife denied him permision to make the musical, Bowie, wrote, performed and recorded all the songs himself as "Diamond Dogs". After Mick Ronson's Death in the mid 90's Bowie comented that he "never had a band as talented and prolific as "The Spiders". Bowie is a man of many changes, so once you absorb the "classic rock" era of David Bowie, i'll steer you in the right direction. ;)

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Well Tyrion, you COULD go with the double disc compilation, but it was limited, and MAY be hard to find, unless you get it second hand. Since you are more of a "classic rock" type guy, I think your next choice should be The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, and the Spiders From Mars, followed by Aladdin Sane. Both those albums feature his classic line up, of Trevor Bolder, Mick Ronson, Mike Garson and Mick Woodmansey. "Ziggy" is considered to be one of the most classic of the Bowie collection and his first "Concept Album". "Diamond Dogs, is a concept album only because it was his failed score to a musical version of George Orwell's 1984. When Orwell's wife denied him permision to make the musical, Bowie, wrote, performed and recorded all the songs himself as "Diamond Dogs". After Mick Ronson's Death in the mid 90's Bowie comented that he "never had a band as talented and prolific as "The Spiders". Bowie is a man of many changes, so once you absorb the "classic rock" era of David Bowie, i'll steer you in the right direction. ;)

Yeah. About that. I already went and got both The Man Who Sold the World and Ziggy Stardust. Both albums are awesome. So should I go with Aladin Sane next? However, Young Americans sounds good though because of John Lennon being on it, and Heathen has a cover of Cactus on it(favorite song from The Pixies) so I'm a just a tad bit confused on what to get.:p

Black Metal: Darkthrone, Carpathian Forest, Disiplin, Burzum, Immortal, Bathory, Myrkskog, Gorgoroth, older Satyricon, Isengard, Venom, Windir, Nattefrost.

Gothic Rock: The Cure, Bauhaus, The Sisters Of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Birthday Party, Joy Division, The 69 Eyes, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Fields Of The Nephilim, Christian Death (Rozz Williams' version), Nosferatu.

Darkwave: Clan Of Xymox, London After Midnight, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, The Crüxshadows.

Dark Metal: Poisonblack, Tristania, Sentenced, Type O Negative, older Theatre Of Tragedy (the new stuff sucks).

Power Metal: Children Of Bodom, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Blind Guardian.

Industrial: Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Gothminister, Ministry, Mortiis, Einstürzende Neubauten.

Other genres: Danzig, Depeche Mode, Opeth, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Tori Amos, Carcass, Deicide, Amon Amarth, Misfits.

IMO Ziggy is Bowie's best album... :p

Originally posted by toms

What is the difference between Black Metal and Dark Metal?

What is Darkwave?

To think on my mp3 player it all just goes under "rock"...:eek:

Black metal band:

mayhem-dead_euro2.jpg

Dark metal band:

sentenced.jpg

Darkwave is what links gothic rock bands like Bauhaus to industrial rock bands as Nine Inch Nails. :)

This has got to be the longest that we've gone without a flame war in a music thread. Keep it up :)

Anyhow, I've been listening to...

Adema - Unstable

Coheed And Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3

Dropkick Murphys - The Warriors Code

Fallout Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

Foo Fighters - In Your Honor

Green Day - Dookie, American Idiot, Nimrod

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory, Reanimation

My Chemical Romance - 3 Cheers For Sweet Revenge

System of a Down - Toxicity, Steal This Album, Mezmerize

The Offspring - Americana, Splinter, Greatest Hits

Chevelle - Wonder Whats Next

Bowling For Soup - Drunk Enough to Dance, Hangover You Don't Deserve

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf, Lullabyes to Paralyze

Riddlin Kids - Hurry Up And Wait

Rise Against - Siren Song Of The Counter Culture

Sublime - Sublime

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatourium, Francis the Mute

That's all that I can think of right now.

Here's a fairly comprehensive list. I'm sure I've missed a few, but you *did* ask ;)

Aerosmith

Alice in Chains

Anthrax

Apocalyptica

Audioslave

Bad Religion

Ben Harper

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Black Sabbath

Blind Boys of Alabama

Blind Melon

Bob Dylan

Brad

Béla Fleck

CCR

Chris Cornell

Chris Franke

Clutch

Corrosion Of Conformity

Counting Crows

Cream

Crowbar

Dave Matthews Band

David Bowie

David Rees-Williams Trio

Deftones

Desert Sessions

Dire Straits

Donavon Frankenreiter

Down

EchoBrain

Elton John

Faith No More

Fantômas

Frank Black

Fugazi

G. Love

Jack Johnson

Jeff Healey

Jerry Cantrell

Jim Martin

Jimi Hendrix

John Butler Trio

Kyuss

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Led Zeppelin

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Machine Head

Metallica

Mike Oldfield

Monster Magnet

Mr. Bungle

Neil Young

Ozzy Osbourne

Pantera

Pearl Jam

Pixies

Prodigy

Queen

Queens of the Stone Age

Radiohead

Rage Against the Machine

Ramones

Screaming Trees

Silverchair

Simon & Garfunkel

Soundgarden

Stone Gossard

Stone Temple Pilots

Temple of the Dog

The Beatles

The Darkness

The La's

The Offspring

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Who

Three Fish

Tomahawk

Unida

Victor Wooten

Wellwater Conspiracy

Xavier Rudd

By the way - thankyou CapN, for (a few months ago now) getting me into Clutch. I f**king love 'em, their latest is, indeed, brilliant. Not quite as good as Blast Tyrant (in my opinion), but still a damn fine album. Thanks!

Originally posted by BongoBob

This has got to be the longest that we've gone without a flame war in a music thread. Keep it up :)

I guess I rock just that much. :D In lieu of this, there shall be a new Swamp rule:

If someone wants to make a music thread, said person must PM me and request that I post said music thread.

:D:D

Heh, I've also been listening to the Gourds. Kind of bluegrass, really good music. Their version of Gin and Juice is priceless. :D

Music....here are my favorite bands/artists

Tupac

Eminem

Nas

Youngbloodz

Biggie

Xzibit

G-Unit

50 Cent

Petey Pablo

T.I.

Jin

Ying Yang Twins

Ciara

Ludacris

Lil John & the Eastside Boyz

Young Buck

Jay-Z

The Game

Kanye West

Usher

Akon

Frankie J

Docter Dre

Snoop Dogg

Styles P

Twista

Biggie

Big Pun

Outcast

Michael Jackson (some)

The Ataris

AFI

Black Flag

The Misfits

A Perfect Circle

BoxCar Racer

Bad Religion

Anti Flag

Rooney

SR-71

Rise Against The Machine

Pennywise

Simple Plan

Good Charlotte

Outkast

Saves The Day

Silverchair

Lost Prophets

Weezer

Dashboard Confessional

Jimmy Eat World

The Killers

No Doubt

The All American Rejects

Brand New

Hoobastank

E.S. Posthumus

American Hi-Fi

Linkin Park

Matchbook Romance

Five For Fighting

Dave Mathews Band

Suger Ray

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Unwritten Law

Evanescence

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Snow Patrol

Dido

Eve 6

Goo Goo Dolls

Sean Paul

The Starting Line

Savage Garden

The Offspring

The Early November

Finch

The Beach Boys

Matchbox 20

Lifehouse

Sum 41

Stroke 9

Our Lady Peace

The Vandals

N.E.R.D

Hawthorne Heights

System of a Down

New Found Glory

Something Corporate

Jet

P.O.D.

Switchfoot

Nine Days

Puddle Of Mudd

Reliant K

Bowling for Soup

Mest

Sugar Ray

Rhapsody

Sublime

The Calling

Foo Fighters

Train

Coldplay

Sugercult

Nickelback

Three Days Grace

Staind

Eamon

3 Doors Down

Plain White T's

My Chemical Romance

Straylight Run

Thrice

Lit

Trapt

Crossfade

Papa Roach

Jack Johnson

Opeth

Tool

MxPx

Guttermouth

Plain White T's

Rise Against

Uncubus

Fall Out Boy

Keane

Audioslave

Adema

A Perfect Circle

Drowning Pool

and I’m sure I forgot a lot..

but my favorite bands are..

Blink 182

Story Of The Year

The Used

Taking Back Sunday

Yellowcard

Green Day

I know....too much pop punk, rap, emo and crappy type rock played on mtv. I dont watch mtv.. But what can I say....tis what I always have listened to.

By the way - thankyou CapN, for (a few months ago now) getting me into Clutch. I f**king love 'em, their latest is, indeed, brilliant. Not quite as good as Blast Tyrant (in my opinion), but still a damn fine album. Thanks!

Hey, no problem. Glad you like 'em, and glad to help out a fellow Patton fan.

I can't stop listening to Sgt. Pepper's by the Beatles at the moment.

Only one I'm not to keen on is Within You Without You.

Which is your favorite song off the album? Mine were Lovely Rita and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise/A Day in the Life.

Within You Without You isn't that great to me, either.

Which is your favorite song off the album? Mine were Lovely Rita and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise/A Day in the Life.

Within You Without You isn't that great to me, either.

It's really difficult to choose just one, I will say I love Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club/reprise; With a little help from my friends; Getting Better; Lovely Rita and fixing a hole.

But it's all good. :cool:

Archived