Home

Obsidian's Invisible Music & Movie Patch

The Source

They promised they would be releasing a patch with High-quality movies and music. The same day patch 1.0b was released (April 14th), one of the devs said:

The "High Quality movies" are too big for this patch and are going to be put into their own patch which should be up in just a day or two (everything's done, just need to build them).

and then, on April 23, he posted this:

We're done with that btw... just has to go through the bureaucracy/QA and all that fun stuff...

The source is here:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=33276&st=105&p=328599entry328599

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=33590&st=0&p=336124entry336124

....and then there was this:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EEkpyppEylbOkdFbNo.php

Which took place last week.

I had a discussion with the owner of the site, and he assured me that the article was true.. I made a statement, which questioned the reliability of his information, and he raced to the thread at Obsidian to argue it out. I apologized, so I could just get rid of him... I still question is reliability.... lol... :D

His online forums name is BuckSatan... Now, how can I trust a guy with that name!?!?!? :D

I would guess that Obsidian Dev got slapped on the fingers for not only mentioning it before it was out, but for giving an estimated release date. Probably won't make the mistake of trying to keep the community up to date again.

It turned a nice surprise to the fans into another thing the community could whine about and question Obsidian&LA's competence over... :)

Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-

It turned a nice surprise to the fans into another thing the community could whine about and question Obsidian&LA's competence over... :)

And that's why now, since we question Obsidian and LA's competence, they should release it as soon as possible :)

I do wonder however, if it's THAT hard to make a high-quality videos and music patch.

Well if the info that OE has provided is accurate, the patch was finished months ago, which means it's been stuck in LA's approval chain. Considering how anemic LA's staffing has been as of late, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the 2nd patch fell to the bottom of the list of priorities.

Not that I approve of LA holding the patch, but could it be that with the major restruction they just had, the patch "fell of the radar" . Maybe the news that they are hiring programmers again, means the restructuring is done, and now they have some time to release the patch.

Or do I sound like an eternal optimist here? :)

Movies alone *will* be well over 1 Gb uncompressed, plus another 40-50 Mb of uncompressed music, 140-150 Mb of uncompressed sound effects, and about 600 Mb of uncompressed voice files. Again all those numbers are uncompressed, but it's still a lot, around 587.4 Mb to 594 Mb in a standard .zip archive.

***edit***

And 320.4 Mb to 324 Mb in a standard .rar archive.

^^^^

that was about what i was expecting. still, if people can download a 300-400MB game demo, i think we can sit through an "HD" music and movie patch.

hopefully, they'll be smart and divide the patch into parts for lower bandwidth users so they can just download and install parts over the course of a week rather than sit through a couple hours worth of no internet (and no phone if they have dial-up).

Originally posted by Lion54

It will be out "In a few days."

HAHA.. Beat you to it Prime:D

You will pay for your treachery.

I'm not getting my hopes up until I see this thing released. I guess we'll know if a few days...

I forsee a "Gold Edition", "Special Edition" or a box set in the future in order to "acquire" these new so-called HQ patches...

Call me pessimistic, but I feel an "agenda" is in the works and that's why after day one of the announcement (many moons ago) the guy was never heard from again.

Probably whacked across the head (or fingers as stoffe suggested hehe) ;)

That's...possible actually.

I won't be amazed if LucasArts pulls such a stunt.

It won't be popular with players though and not a good marketing idea, especially for the fans who have already heard of that so called patch.

If it's the only thing you would get from a "Gold" or "Special" edition, I doubt LA would spent money that way.

I still won't be amazed if they actually do, as unlikely as it is.

Originally posted by jmac7142

I think we'll see a 'gold' or 'platinum' edition after KIII comes out that has re-vamped versions of all 3 games, similar to NWN.

Tom Clancey did something like this with the Rainbow Six games. After several other releases, they decided to make 'gold' and 'platinum' editions.

Unlike their latest conundrum: Athens Sword and Revan Sheild. They built an expansion pack, which gave very little to the game.

I hope its true, but you can never really tell with online things...

*Off Topic Question*

What good does patching my game do?

The game isn't online so I dont need to worry about compatiblity, it doesn't have very many bugs (that I have noticed) and I am more concerned about what it changes because I have numerous mods already installed...

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

I forsee a "Gold Edition", "Special Edition" or a box set in the future in order to "acquire" these new so-called HQ patches...

Call me pessimistic, but I feel an "agenda" is in the works and that's why after day one of the announcement (many moons ago) the guy was never heard from again.

Probably whacked across the head (or fingers as stoffe suggested hehe) ;)

I have the same feeling, and everyone thinks I am nuts. Look who I am friends with... :)

I started to have this feeling that Lucas Arts decided to create an 'Expansion Pack', which includes: Cut content, bug fixes, and the movie & sound patch. If you combind them all together, you get a really nice 'Expansion pack'. Your idea ChaNz.2da sounds a little better than mine, which I am beginning to think they will create a 'Dual Pack' for PCs. 'KotOR I & II' in a single case with revamped stuff. Like how Diablo, SimCity 4000, and other had done.

Since the sound and movie files are so big, why not a 'Expansion Pack' or 'Dual Pack'...

Originally posted by MacLeodCorp

I have the same feeling, and everyone thinks I am nuts. Look who I am friends with... :)

I started to have this feeling that Lucas Arts decided to create an 'Expansion Pack', which includes: Cut content, bug fixes, and the movie & sound patch. If you combind them all together, you get a really nice 'Expansion pack'. Your idea ChaNz.2da sounds a little better than mine, which I am beginning to think they will create a 'Dual Pack' for PCs. 'KotOR I & II' in a single case with revamped stuff. Like how Diablo, SimCity 4000, and other had done.

Since the sound and movie files are so big, why not a 'Expansion Pack' or 'Dual Pack'...

I'm pretty confident that LA will not do this.

Archived