Home

Driving...

Father Torque

Ya, so I just went out into an empty parking lot with my dad tonight and got my first car instruction. I did this in my brothers 92' Toyota Corrola 5-speed manual. It was a pretty awesome experience, and much to my fascination I had a fairly easy time with the clutch.

So ya, im pretty excited about driving i nthe future. But my grand prix like driving is not the subject of this thread. I remember that there was a really cool thread a while back that let swampies post pics of their ride.

So ya, post them and stuff. :)

I will post pic of my bro's car once I can get some decent light for a pic. I will also put up a pic of the car that I have been saving up for. :)

I learned how to ride a bike today.

Every applaud.

:o

I'm somewhat scared to drive a car. Car accidents ain't pretty, and I sure as hell don't want to get the temptation to do a roadkill- I mean uh, accidently run a poor pedestrian over...and over...

:p

Originally posted by TiE 23

My bro started driving like 5 months ago. He liked it. But he's gotten two tickets since then, and we all hate him - but good luck with driving! :D

TiE

Hmmmm, what a doofus. I hope he doesn't drive in downtown Seattle because he might kill me sometime.... or worse get me a ticket. :p

Ya, thanks though. It should be pretty cool. Its like, I waited all my young life to be able to ride my bike to school... you had to take a test. Ya I dominated. From then I always looked forward to this time.

EDIT: TiE, I just realized that i'm 10 days older than you. o_O. Your at Blanchett right?

I've been driving for a little over 5 years now. It's amazing how quickly the coolness factor wears off, and driving just becomes a routine thing. Nothing too particularly special about it. I still remember what it was like when I first started with my permit, then after I got my license and could drive on my own though. Pretty sweet. Best of luck to you.

Be careful though, it's amazing how fast a car accident can happen, and how easy it is to make that one mistake. Don't make me dredge up of the pictures of my wounds after my accident. ;)

As for my ride, it's a pimped out* 2000 Chevy Cavalier.

*And by pimped out, I mean as cheap as I could buy it, no power windows/locks, manual transmission, etc.

It does, however, have a bumpersticker that reads "My other vehicle is an X-wing fighter".....

First of all, great pic of the Mclaren there.

I have been driving about 2 years now, 3 in feb. one was permit with the parents, the rest has been all on my own. I don't have any pictures but i own a 96 Chysler Cirrus. Think Dodge Stratus. I like it, a big car for a big guy like me. I feel pretty good about driving, got in a small fender bender in my moms car last year, nothing huge. After that happened i never wanted to drive again, but i found you dont wanna let that get to you. and always be the defensive driver, just remember that.

Originally posted by Tyrion

I learned how to ride a bike today.

I'm somewhat scared to drive a car. Car accidents ain't pretty...

Not for the poor bike rider that gets flattened anyway ;)

Driving has a coolness factor? I must have missed that. As soon as you pass your test you end up having to drive your mates (or even parents) everywhere... so you don't get to drink. At least until some other poor sap passes his test...

The rest of your life is then spent complainingabout traffic, getting road rage behind the wheel, moving VERY slowly and trying to convince other people to do the driving so that you don't have to.

If only life was like the car adverts, with all those open roads...:mad:

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Damn you! Don't tell us that ;_;

my dreams are shattered. I will go post on my livejournal about you now.

*LaFF*

*Continues to play Forza to gain skills needed for the real life road*

Originally posted by Father Torque

TiE, I just realized that i'm 10 days older than you. o_O. Your at Blanchett right?

Ja ^__^

stay away from me......

TiE

I'm gonna be getting a silver 1999 4 door Oldsmobile Alero with a sunroof from my sister.

Somewhat like this:

oldsmobile-alero.jpg

Except I couldn't find a good picture of a 4 door one with a sunroof...

Its kinda starting to fall apart...like, some buttons don't work, the sunroof doesn't open, and she's gotten in a couple accidents. But still, it's a pretty nice ride.

I should have gotten my license on February 12th, 2005. But did I? No. I still don't have it cuz I'm a lazy bastard. I will definitely get my license within the next month though.

Yes I am aware of that as I learned auto transmission yesterday. However I am not that great with driving yet, so rather than jump to manual, I'd rather wait till I was comfortable with driving/parking/interstate/highway driving before I switch to manual.

Gotta spell it out for some people I guess.

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Yes I am aware of that as I learned auto transmission yesterday. However I am not that great with driving yet, so rather than jump to manual, I'd rather wait till I was comfortable with driving/parking/interstate/highway driving before I switch to manual.

Gotta spell it out for some people I guess.

Actually it's best you not get used to auto when learning manual. Which is why it's best to learn manual first. Because auto is easy, plus switching from manual to auto usually makes you a better at doing auto then when you just learn it straight forward.

How come everyone in the US is obsessed with Manual vs Auto?

I remember the first time i saw Pretty Woman years ago I oculdn't work out what they were going on about in the Ferarri. And the whole Manual vs Auto thing seems to get a disproportionate amount of mentions in american tv and films.

Not sure i've EVER heard anyone mention the subject over here, Ever. (except on car-review shows).

Don't they let you into certain clubs if you drive auto or something?

Archived