Home

[URGENT] Need pc tech help [URGENT]

Mex

I was playing Jedi Academy about 20 minutes ago, and for some reason the game started freezing and blue lines started appearing down my screen, I thought it was a graphics bug but it kept on happening. Then the screen kept on flashing black, and now when I try to start it up the bios is messed up, all of the text appears as strange a's [They look like german writing]

When I try to boot up windows xp normally, on the windows xp logo/loading screen, the logo is messed up and blue lines appear down the screen, and after it finishes loading it just goes black. In safe mode [Which was very hard to get to because the writing is all gibberish] all of the colours are messed up, it looks like 8-bit colouring.

Specs -

Intel 3.0ghz processor

Geforce 6600GT Sparkle 128mb

Motherboard - Asus P4S800.

I'm going to try reinstall the bios, if anyone could give me some suggestions I would be VERY grateful, and if anyones solution fixes it, I will love you for ever.

MANY thanks, Pal.

Heh, I just figured that out about 5 minutes ago. I uninstalled the graphics card drivers - Same problem. I uninstalled the card completelely - same problem. I flashed the bios - Same gibberish text, but windows finally managed to start up properly. Installing graphics card drivers is impossible, computer restarts when I try to install any kind of drivers.

So as a temporary solution I've ordered a £44.00 pound ATI Radeon 9600. It's not the best card in the world but until I can fix my old graphics card, it's the only solution for me. But to be honest I'm glad that i'm getting rid of it, fps in games was random, some games it was up in the hundreds and others in the 20s, most drivers were horrible and messed up the graphics.

I'm making sure my next graphics card after my temp one is going to be an ATI one, I'm sure of that. And sorry if theres lots of spelling mistakes, it's really hard to type in 640x480 and 4 bit coloring.

So I guess for the next few days I'm just going to be on msn and browing the web, no gaming for me for a while. It's a shame, I ordered Splinter Cell Chaos Theory two days ago and it was going to arrive tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help though.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

Well that sure sucks. :(

Can I have the 9600 after you're done with it? :D

It'll take me ages to get a new card, I need me a job dangit. :xp: Anyways, if you want to see my fantastic desktop, here it is.

yeesh8xl.jpg

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

Hmmm, well, at first glance I'd say it sure sounds like your video card had ventured to the spirit in the sky. :ewok:

Norman Greenbaum for the win! :D

That sucks Michael...but luckily you have that backup ATI card :p

I need it >_> <_<

edit: Tepe, he's in the UK you fool :p

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Norman Greenbaum for the win! :D

That sucks Michael...but luckily you have that backup ATI card :p

I need it >_> <_<

edit: Tepe, he's in the UK you fool :p

Heh, I'm lucky I had some money spare to buy that card, otherwise I wouldn't of been playing games for a few months. I'm suprised it still boots normally! At least I can still visit here and go on msn.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Ummm, do you read the EULAs for your games? Well.. I know, no one does. But it does/should say somewhere that LucasArts cannot be held liable for any damage this software does to your hardware.

werdage... most of us skim through this very quickly, as we are most eager to install and play.... even if it said "this game will make your compy implode" if we've not read it and clicked "Yes" to the EULA, then theres nothin you can do about it...

mtfbwya

Yeah, I try to skim over freeware EULAs, because sometimes they will add something like "by installing this software you give us permissions to install AdWare on your computer"

Most of the time your safe with commercial software. Although I have read somewhere occasionally people have gotten a virus from software found in a store.

Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•

Hey Pal, a couple of questions about your 9600...

1) Has it got a tv-in and/or tv-out?

2) Where'd ya get it from?

'Cos £44 sounds alright to me and I could do with an upgrade to my clockwork graphics card :p

B.

You can read about the graphics card here.

Thats where i ordered it from, I got it from a different seller so it might be a bit more expensive because you'll have to get it from amazon itself. But I'd hurry, theres only four left.

But I haven't got it yet, should arrive in a day or two. I can't wait to get my computer up and running again, even if it'll be slower than before.

Anthony : It's Windows Xp Pro, I have the theme set on windows classic, if I use the windows xp themes, most things are difficult to read, and if I try to do a search I can't read the text.

Archived