Home

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince *FULL BOOK SPOILERS*

Reborn Outcast

Hmmm. I'm split on this book.

I thought it was terribly predictable, and mildly anticlimactic, but i enjoyed it all the same.

Almost nothing that happened was a surprise, it was obvious from almost the start that dumbledore would die, and that harry would get ginny, and that malfoy was going after dumbledore, and that he would have second thoughts at the end.

I'm also not realy sure about the snape thing.. if it turns out to be some sort of clever twist in the next book it might be ok, but basically the book works out as "everybody tells dumbledore snape is evil, he doesn't believe, everyone is right". Which just makes dumbledore look stupid.. especially once he was told about the unbreakable oath... as that seems like pretty conclusive evidence.

I guess it could be all a way to "save" malfoy... but surely it would have been easier to just intercept him at some point in the year?

And what was up with "malfoy's plot". Talk about an anticlimax. His whole plan was to jump out of a door and blast dumbledore? Why couldn't he have done that at any time? It only wworked cos dumbledore was poisoned and protecting harry... neither of which Malfoy knew about. And why dumbledore would waste time freezig harry, instead of just disarming malfoy (who harry can beat anyway) made no sense either. There had better be some big payoff to this or it is just dumb. And its gonna make a terrible movie btw.

All that said, the book is basically an opening and an ending chapter of bad plot, and then the entire middle of the book basically just forgets the plot and is the usual school hijinks.

And the middle of the book is good fun. Rowling is excellent at writing enjoyable sentances that make you want to keep reading. The whole middle of the book (and most of the previous books) does come across as like one of those "Tom Brown's Schooldays" or "Biggles goes to school" stories from 50 years ago, set in old english boarding schools. But those bits are very fun to read, and I enjoy all the characters and their interactions (excpet when harry is being especially dumb or whiny). Ron, Herminone and Ginny are great fun, as is snape.

I just wish the overall plots weren't going slowly downhill since book 3... or that she would just dumb the overall plots and make it a fun series set in the school.

The set up for the next one doesn't look too promising... "young hero and party goes off looking for the 5 mystical thingies that will allow him to defeat the evil dude". Talk about generic...

Still, the book was for the most part very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bump this..

but i just realised something that with regards to the end of the book and possibly the 7th.

Half way thru the book Hagrid tell Harry that he overhead Snape and Dumbledore arguing. Snape says that Dumbledore took too much for granted and that Snape didnt want to do it anymore. Also it says Dumbledore "flat out agreed ter do it an' that was all there was to it".

Though i didnt take much consideration of this at the time, its now pretty clear that they were talking about Snape killing Dumbledore. The whole idea of Dumbledore taking something for granted means he had intended for the whole thing to occur and had probably set in motion other events that would occur after his "death".

Though most of us have infered this stuff anyway, its nice to see it writing.

I really enjoyed the book. I just keep getting dissapointed that Rowling hasn't used the polyjuice potion for teachers yet. IE Death Eaters impersonating Snape, McGonoggal (sp?), etc. I know this was done for the defense against the dark arts teacher in the 4th book. But I kept wondering whether someone else was impersonating dumbledore the whole year.

To those that say what's harry going to do if he/his scar is the horcrux, kill himself?. Lemme say that no, if it's his scar, he'll have it removed via plastic surgery.

Liked the book, but though the others were better. Hermione expecially annoys me sometimes, which makes me enjoy the book more 'cause it makes the characters seem real.

And this book is a lot darker than the first one, but my favorite thing about it is still the school hijinks. It's just a lot of fun.

Archived