Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

Hey, actually started staying up late, and watching some during the summer,

So a few questions:

Why does everyone scream a lot and talk in squeeky voices?

Why does that inuyasha dude always scream out the name of whatever attack he's about to use, you'd think maybe that's how so many characters dodge attacks and prolong fights?

In Cowboy Bebop why is there a Girl called Edward?

I saw a few episodes of a show called Samurai Champloo and thought it was cool because everyone was more chilled out than the other shows on at the same time, but it doesn't seem to be on anymore?

Are there more options than Adult Swim that I'm just not seeing,

if not, do you have to rent EVERYTHING that is recomended here (no I don't want to illegaly pirate anything)

What was the point of that Paranoia Agent show?

In Full Metal Alchemist, are people actually missing limbs, or just having them augmented?

G4 had a couple episodes of something called Last Exile, is that all there is, if not is the rest any good?

That's all I can think of, Good Day :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does everyone scream a lot and talk in squeeky voices?

It's a matter of extremes, seeing as it's all animated and detached from reality you have the ability to go to the extremes with your characters. Also you ever heard how some of these Japanese women sound? XD That explains why anime characters sometimes have such squeeky voices.

Why does that inuyasha dude always scream out the name of whatever attack he's about to use, you'd think maybe that's how so many characters dodge attacks and prolong fights?

It is strange isn't it, but it's very common, from Dragonball Z to Pokemon to Inu Yasha to Rurouni Kenshin. One theory is that it stems from training excersices of certain martial arts in Japan where you had to scream out the name of the target you were attacking. Say you were attacking the head, you would shout "head" (in japanese XD lol). Of course that's just me guessing, maybe we can drag someone in here who has a better idea. As for prolonging fights, that's common practice for long drawn out animes like the ones mentioned.

In Cowboy Bebop why is there a Girl called Edward?

Her full name is Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV. She made it up, she doesn't know her real name.

I saw a few episodes of a show called Samurai Champloo and thought it was cool because everyone was more chilled out than the other shows on at the same time, but it doesn't seem to be on anymore?

*shrugs* take that up with the network lol. There are 26 episodes of Samurai Champloo all up, which is how long most anime series are.

Are there more options than Adult Swim that I'm just not seeing,

if not, do you have to rent EVERYTHING that is recomended here (no I don't want to illegaly pirate anything)

You can catch a lot of the more mainstream animes on stuff like Adult Swim, but the best bet is to rent anime, or buy them. I buy all my anime but I get a lot of information about animes I don't know about before I buy them, I get opinions from many different people so every anime I have (well except for a couple of exceptions) are ones I like and glad I own.

What was the point of that Paranoia Agent show?

To be entertaining in a strange kinda way ;)

In Full Metal Alchemist, are people actually missing limbs, or just having them augmented?

Yes, they have lost their limbs and have automail as a replacement.

G4 had a couple episodes of something called Last Exile, is that all there is, if not is the rest any good?

Last Exile is DAMN GOOD. It's the Star Wars of anime IMO, just not in the scifi sense XD It's a great epic adventure, highly recommended.

13 to 26 (1 to 2 seasons worth), is the typical length of an anime. Although there are a few that have much longer runs, like Bleach - up to 48 episodes, and Inuyasha - in the hundreds I think, and DBZ (yick), is for some reason also long in the tooth as far as episodes...

Last Exile is an *awesome* anime, go rent it if you can, or buy the dvds, but do yourself a favour and turn on the japanese audio and read the subtitles, they hacked up the names in the english dub...

I think most animes that features catgirls are hentai ("perverse") - and theres more to hentai than just tentacles... though not much. lol

okay so if I have to rent stuff $$$$$$$$$$$$$ so long my friends,

what is the best stuff in the more action scifi area, I don't want to see any more wierd fantasy shows like that dog faced boy with the whole WIIIIND SCAAAAAAAAAARRRR thing, unless it's something epic and cool,

and it can't be too corny.

sooo what's the best stuff that falls into those lines?

:)

I think most animes that features catgirls are hentai ("perverse") - and theres more to hentai than just tentacles... though not much. lol

That sadly is true now but in the beginning this was not so as Dominion Tank Police has two of them and it is definately not hentai! ;)

Though you do have to wonder where 2 scantily clad females conceal their heavy weapons! :xp:

Last Exile is an *awesome* anime, go rent it if you can, or buy the dvds, but do yourself a favour and turn on the japanese audio and read the subtitles, they hacked up the names in the english dub...

*laughs* You got it all wrong there man, all the names are hacked up in the Japanese version. Remember, Japanese has a limit when it comes to pronouncing names that originate in other countries. The Japanese actors mispronounce ALL the foreign names.

It makes more sense to watch Last Exile in english, for one thing, all the names are pronounced correctly and how they're SUPPOSED to be. Even Gonzo (folks who made Last Exile) say this. Another thing about the japanese audio of Last Exile is that some of the voices don't fit the characters. For one thing Claus and Dio's voices are way off, unless you like two of your male characters to sound like they're females. Yes they are the original voices, but that doesn't mean they are the voices that fit the most. On the other hand the japanese voice of Alex is great. Another thing is that none of the characters are Japanese. The world is set in a western/germanic/old england type environment.

The English audio of Last Exile is top quality. EXCELLENT. You'd be stupid to pass it up and to dismiss it just because the names are pronounced the way they SOULD be. :dozey:

@ Revan: You want cat girls? *points @ sithy* there's your man. Go ask him.

@ REDJOHNNYMIKE: Last Exile is epic and cool, and 26 episodes which means it won't drag on and on and on... etc XD

*laughs* You got it all wrong there man, all the names are hacked up in the Japanese version. Remember, Japanese has a limit when it comes to pronouncing names that originate in other countries. The Japanese actors mispronounce ALL the foreign names.

It makes more sense to watch Last Exile in english, for one thing, all the names are pronounced correctly and how they're SUPPOSED to be. Even Gonzo (folks who made Last Exile) say this. Another thing about the japanese audio of Last Exile is that some of the voices don't fit the characters. For one thing Claus and Dio's voices are way off, unless you like two of your male characters to sound like they're females. Yes they are the original voices, but that doesn't mean they are the voices that fit the most. On the other hand the japanese voice of Alex is great. Another thing is that none of the characters are Japanese. The world is set in a western/germanic/old england type environment.

The English audio of Last Exile is top quality. EXCELLENT. You'd be stupid to pass it up and to dismiss it just because the names are pronounced the way they SOULD be. :dozey:

Ummm right... whatever... This is an anime that was produced by the Japanese originally, and so the names are correct, not incorrect. If this was a series that was produced in say Greece (since that is what all the script is), then the names would be incorrect. The Japanese do not "mispronounce" all foriegn names as you put it. Their language has fixed vowel sounds, so "a" always sounds like the a in "father", they also dont have an L in their scripts, so when they come across names like Lavi, then its Ravi.

For that matter how is Moran Shetland (which is pronounced correctly in Japanese) the "incorrect" version? How is Alistria wrong? Is her name was supposed to be Alister in English, then in Japanese it would have been translated as Aristeru, not Alisteria.

Claus and Deeo are kids, you cant expect them to have masculine voices, or maybe you can, since you want the Japanese to produce the anime speaking English apparently... :p Not all of their animes are set in Japan. Some are set in China, even a few are set in Russia (atleast one I know by name) - Wolfs Rain.

On a side note, one thing I did find odd was that in Ghost in the Shell: SAC, when they had some guy on the show from the "american empire" he looked Japanese, and had a Japanese name even... in this case the Japanese did do the scripting wrong, unless in the GitS world, the asians took over the US somehow... *rolls eyes*

You shouldnt say stuff like "youd be stupid if...", some people with anger problems (not me), might accuse you of calling them stupid. :p

Oh, and dont call me "man"! *pokes*

Ummm right... whatever... This is an anime that was produced by the Japanese originally, and so the names are correct, not incorrect. If this was a series that was produced in say Greece (since that is what all the script is), then the names would be incorrect. The Japanese do not "mispronounce" all foriegn names as you put it. Their language has fixed vowel sounds, so "a" always sounds like the a in "father", they also dont have an L in their scripts, so when they come across names like Lavi, then its Ravi.

That's exactly what I said, the limitations of their language makes it difficult for them to say some foreign names properly. Yes, it's anime, originally produced in Japan. HOWEVER, the names they use are not originally from Japan. They are of European descent. Get what I'm saying now? So we both agree that the language has limits, so then it would be fair to say that the English version is not incorrect with the names used.

For that matter how is Moran Shetland (which is pronounced correctly in Japanese) the "incorrect" version? How is Alistria wrong? Is her name was supposed to be Alister in English, then in Japanese it would have been translated as Aristeru, not Alisteria.

Ever heard of the term "engrish"? ;) Another wonderful thing is that Gonzo, the people who MADE Last Exile have said that Moran = Mullen. Ravi = Lavie. And I have also encountered so many conflicting views on how to pronounce and spell these names on the web. The only people I trust is Gonzo, and they tell me the names are exactly what is pronounced in the English audio. These European names.

Claus and Deeo are kids, you cant expect them to have masculine voices, or maybe you can, since you want the Japanese to produce the anime speaking English apparently... :p Not all of their animes are set in Japan. Some are set in China, even a few are set in Russia (atleast one I know by name) - Wolfs Rain.

And the voices provided in the English audio aren't masculine voices, but they're not female voices either. Claus is 14, Dio is 16. Dio is very feminine, but not female. Claus is young, yes, but not female. I never said I wanted Japanese to produce English speaking anime, I just said that it made more sense to me to hear them in English, just like it makes more sense to hear the Azumanga Daioh girls in japanese despite ADV providing one hellova good english audio. And yes, animes are set all over the place ;) Believe me, I've watched enough anime to know that by now.

On a side note, one thing I did find odd was that in Ghost in the Shell: SAC, when they had some guy on the show from the "american empire" he looked Japanese, and had a Japanese name even... in this case the Japanese did do the scripting wrong, unless in the GitS world, the asians took over the US somehow... *rolls eyes*

Actually that wasn't a script error on anyones part, it was a joke. The Americans sent cliche Japanese agents so that the Japanese residents would accept them more than if they were westerners... XD Well I thought it was funny.

You shouldnt say stuff like "youd be stupid if...", some people with anger problems (not me), might accuse you of calling them stupid. :p

Guess It's good that you're you then :p

Oh, and dont call me "man"! *pokes*

*looks at profile* Hmmm... I wonder if I can convince the higher ups of LF to get a Gender field happening in the profile or somethin.

Does Aash Li (ashley) really look like a guys name? lol

Well you said "mispronounce all foriegn names", which it makes it sound like youre saying that they do it on purpose or something heh.

In Azumanga, you really cant do a proper english dub of the anime and still have the show retain its original humour - because some japanese jokes and pun dont carry over to english like they should.

Does Aash Li (ashley) really look like a guys name? lol

For awhile I had people thinking I was a girl with a name like Lynk Former. Plus *points at where we are* Aash Li in a Star Wars forum? What would you have me think? XD

Well you said "mispronounce all foriegn names", which it makes it sound like youre saying that they do it on purpose or something heh.

Sorry for the confusion, at least we talked this through before anything happened. ^^ I like that, you have my respect.

In Azumanga, you really cant do a proper english dub of the anime and still have the show retain its original humour - because some japanese jokes and pun dont carry over to english like they should.

Aye, the amount of Japanese humour in it really does make it one of the most difficult animes to create an English track for. But despite this I still think ADV did well. And there are other animes that have this problem, like Excel Saga and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, but ADV has either made booklets to explain it all, or put in a note system into the DVD itself where a bubble pops up at certain points in the anime and tells you the facts and explanations about whatever is happening. I admire them for doing whatever it takes to do this because in the end you still wouldn't get those puns in Japanese version unless you KNEW Japanese... the subtitles don't help.

In the end, if there was a German audio track included in every anime DVD I'd watch that too. But there isn't... XD I just like watching animes in as many languages as possibe cause everyone has a different angle on things. The thing I really hate is when you get a rare DVD that doesn't have the original Japanese track...

Anime in German, now that would be rather cool, I would definitely watch it, and have my german dictionary handy. hehe.

Lynk, Ive had nothing but female avatars, and if you say the name outloud, it should sound the same as Ashley. Did people thnk Darth333 was a guy too?

And Im not saying that english dubs are evil, just some of them... if you want to scar yourself emotionally, go download this anime called Moonlight Lady. its *the* worst dub. ever. LOL. When I started hanging out with my anime friends they had this bit of hazing where they would give you that anime and tell you to watch it... and then laugh when you complained how bad it was lol. I passed it off on some unsuspecting people too. :D

And I say download it because you *wont* find it anywhere, I think its still only in Japanese, the only reason that there was an episode dubbed into english is because a bunch of people did it themselves. (its hentai btw).

Lynk, Ive had nothing but female avatars, and if you say the name outloud, it should sound the same as Ashley. Did people thnk Darth333 was a guy too?

I have a female in my avatar. So does Sithy... and Rogue Nine... and... well a lot of people XD It's a pretty easy mistake aright. I mean it's the internet, obviously if I was speaking to you face to face I wouldn't make such a mistake ;)

And Im not saying that english dubs are evil, just some of them... if you want to scar yourself emotionally, go download this anime called Moonlight Lady. its *the* worst dub. ever. LOL. When I started hanging out with my anime friends they had this bit of hazing where they would give you that anime and tell you to watch it... and then laugh when you complained how bad it was lol. I passed it off on some unsuspecting people too. :D

And I say download it because you *wont* find it anywhere, I think its still only in Japanese, the only reason that there was an episode dubbed into english is because a bunch of people did it themselves. (its hentai btw).

Macross Plus... the dub sucked so badly. I also realised that the Dragonball Z English tracks by FUNimation are actually pretty good. I say this because people don't realise how old DBZ is and how the original Japanese audio is pretty much the same as the english in terms of voice acting quality.

Plus it's better watching hentai's in Japanese... Japanese chicks making those sounds are kinkier ;) rawr.

Well with DBZ theres not much to translate...

Raaaaaaaaaaaaawrrr!!! Sounds pretty much the same in Japanese and English. lol And what dialogue there is is pretty basic.

"Goku you must level up and defeat teh villain de jour!!"

"Alright!! STUPER SAIYIN!!!"

I unfortunately watched the series with Boo in it, and kept waiting for it to end, I think 3 weeks later I realized that it was a trainwreck that just wasnt gonna end anytime soon. hehe

um I like the sayian saga the best cuz that is when you actually didn't have all the rediculas power level

but Dragonball was the best by far

when goku was a kid he was just so flippin funny

"hey fortune seller baba" my favorite line

not gonna let DBZ comments get to me

going to my happy place now

nekoanimated02.gif

oh and it is Buu

Archived