Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

Well, Bebop ends, and probably will not have a new season. There is supposed to be a movie though.

Sorry for opening up the deadly Sub/Dub arguments >.< Then again this is some anime fanboy link, and it is doomed to come up.

For kiddie friendly(kind of) Show... Astroboy. :) Oh, Patlabor would be a reasonable show also.

As for voice actors, well I have to say there are few characters that would look right with Dubs. But then again things can be said the other way, if you ever seen Transformers in Japanese. And seriously, for shows like Pokemon, it really does not matter much.

But yeah I prefer Subs for the most part. Its like foreign film, its just not the same if you have it Dubbed, anime is no different(and foreign cartoon for that matter).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*leaves before he's killed for liking English dubs*

Seriously, it scares me the way people talk about it, it really does. I've been told I know nothing about anime and am not a real anime fan because I watch the English dubs... even when I tell them I watch it in Japanese too.

*runs away*

I'm right there with you Lynk.. hehehe

Probably will get bashed for this.. but I actually prefer the English dubs for (especially) Bleach compared to the subs. Same for Naruto, Cowboy Beebop, Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka 7. :ninja2:

I guess i suKk0rz when it comes to anime' :xp:

Frankly, it doesn't matter to me, so long as the dubs are competent. Hate watching stuff where I have to miss half the action b/c I'm reading @#$%* subs. Thats the way I saw Appleseed for the first time. I'd prefer to see something in English the first time so that I understand the basic story. After that, I don't mind seeing it subbed. I DO realize that in some cases the story may be almost completely different, such as the case with Macross/Robetech, but having seen the animation in the dubbed version, I can now concentrate on following the subs w/o missing anything important.

Seriously, it scares me the way people talk about it, it really does. I've been told I know nothing about anime and am not a real anime fan because I watch the English dubs... even when I tell them I watch it in Japanese too.

*runs away*

I'm right there with you Lynk.. hehehe

Probably will get bashed for this.. but I actually prefer the English dubs for (especially) Bleach compared to the subs. Same for Naruto, Cowboy Beebop, Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka 7.

I guess i suKk0rz when it comes to anime'

Wow! I've got two moderators on my side? And there SUPER MODERATORS. That's a first for me ;)

Naruto fanatics in the states killed it for me.

It was enjoyable until everyone and their brother had the head gear and armbands and gloves and everything! Then trying to perform the little hand thingys on the playground was amusing, but annoying too.

"No, Johnny, their aren't a million of you."

Seriously though, it ruins the anime, for me, at least.

Wow! I've got two moderators on my side? And there SUPER MODERATORS. That's a first for me ;)

Three actually, I have no issues with english dubs of any anime... when they are done well, of course. Some are better in one language the others the dub might be superior... I take it on a situational basis.

Example: Cowboy Beebop is far better to me in english... but that is the newest Anime I have watched... I am admittedly out of date. :(

Naruto fanatics in the states killed it for me.

It was enjoyable until everyone and their brother had the head gear and armbands and gloves and everything! Then trying to perform the little hand thingys on the playground was amusing, but annoying too.

"No, Johnny, their aren't a million of you."

Seriously though, it ruins the anime, for me, at least.

So true. I don't mind something becoming mainstream, but only to a point. When it starts to become whored out then I start to dislike it.

I do support English dubs, but I don't support the rape of anime.

That said, people have different views of what that means...

Now I'll accept companies from around the world dubbing animes into other languages, not just those who dub them into English, after all there are Spanish dubs, Tagalog dubs, etc... but I don't like it when it comes at the expense of the original Japanese version.

An example of what I mean is when you get an anime like One Piece where a company like 4Kids has edited and hacked it apart and you cannot get a pure version of it unless you buy the Japanese DVDs or download them.

It does happen, and it does suck and they should be condemned, but with all this hate flying around, people seem to forget that it's not all like that. I have hundreds of anime DVDs, and they all complete and uncut and feature English and Japanese tracks... well some feature only Japanese, but those are rare releases...

I'm just saying this because in my experience of being persecuted for liking English versions of animes, people seem to speak of evil I am, and how evil all of the American companies seem to be... like I said before, it's scary.

@ chainz: I absolutely love the FMA dub too :D

Other examples of a company raping anime: Sailor Moon and Escaflowne. They claimed that the yuri couple in SM were cousins (how is incest more acceptable than lesbianism?), and in Escaflowne the series was so hacked apart and rewritten that I had no idea what was going on when I saw it on Fox... >_>

I actually admired Miyazaki when he was dealing with Disney in that he made them sign an agreement that all they would so was translate the film, no editing or rewriting, just translate it and call it a day. Thats how all translations for anime should be done.

I said it once before: 4kids sounds like a pedo group. xD

Sailor Moon is great, but again, english dubs killed it. What I don't understand though is, why was the yuri couple made cousins? That threw me off a little, seeing as they had that whole relationship thing.

Cause someone wants overboard in making is "clean" for people of the youngest ages. Also the reason why they stop showing the series when you get boys where, when transformed, they rip their weewee off and squeese into miniskirts.

They can simply package the series in a "uncut" box again and everything will be solved. And oh, cut away those add in transformation thingy between scenes please.

There was a complete and uncut version of Sailor Moon that was being released by ADV Films... it was a good version, one where they simply translated it with the dub and included a proper translated sub... what happened to it?

Toei, for god knows what reason, cancelled the contract with ADV Films. It almost looks like Toei doesn't want their animes to have a complete and uncut release!

I'm just saying this because in my experience of being persecuted for liking English versions of animes, people seem to speak of evil I am, and how evil all of the American companies seem to be... like I said before, it's scary.

I have no problem with people liking dubs.

in fact I prefer the dub versionof several series.

but ones like bleach, golden boy and Love Hina which the dub voices suck for the most part. I'd rather just stick to "reading" the anime than just watching it

@ Revan: You're right, there are some dubs which really do absolutely suck, but I find that with a lot of people, it doesn't matter if the English voice actors have some damn good talent, or if the voices are different but make sense, it's just the idea that it's different and not the original which seems to tick people off.

Which is fine, but I don't see why it makes the people who accept English versions as being lesser anime fans.

Which is fine, but I don't see why it makes the people who accept English versions as being lesser anime fans.

it doesn't at least not to me.

I try the dubs of all series I watch that have them anyway. but if they are absolutely horrid I watch about 5 minutes then switch back to the sub version.

then again there are series like Negima that I don't wanna try the dub version because I like the series too much and if it suck I'ma be pissed.

I only have problems with 4-kids dubs and other places that chew up the series and spite nothing but crap back out

but I do get what you are saying.

still it doesn't make you less of a fan, I think if anything it makes you more of one because instead of just sticking to the dub you are willing to try it in english or your own language.

Meh, I just like the Japanese because its originally done in Japanese... if it was in Korean, Chinese, Russian, German or whatever else, Id still want to watch it in the original language and read the subs. I can read them quick enough that I can still watch the show. :)

I dont have a problem with dubs or those who like them. Its just that in my experience they usually suck... not all, but some of my favourites were ruined because of sloppy production companies that were just interested in $_$

I just dont like it when they insist on watching dubs when it sucks and then youre stuck there watching them too. Or if the subs are really craptacular Id rather watch the dub.

Ok, so I finally finished watching Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori (Hell Girl Two-something)... and it was even better than the first season! Which is a switch because episodic series like these tend to bomb on sequels I think. Anyway the 2nd season delves into the pasts of Hone-onna, Ren, and Waynuudo, and introduces Kikuri. Kikuri steals the show in several eps.

Without spoiling the ending, I have to say its one of the very best wrap-ups I have ever watched in all my anime-watching years. ^_^

I know the show finished like last year, but... I was watching other stuff. :p

I've started watching some underground animes recently, and they're really good.

Ninja Gaiden is one. It's based off the games for NES, and it's amazing. Only three episodes were dubbed, so I'm trying to find some subbed episodes somewhere, but I haven't had any luck.

Archived