Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I think maybe I should swallow my pride and make a confession. Tonight on Adult Swim, they aired Cowboy Beebop The Movie. I was flipping through the cable guide and noticed that Jennifer Hale (aka Bastila Shan) was doing the voice for one of the characters, so I figured I would watch enough to hear that character speak. Well, she wasn't in the movie for about the first half hour, and by the time she did show up, I noticed that I was beginning to like what I was watching. Now before you go outside to see if the sky is falling because I said that I was enjoying an Anime film, let me say that there was a lot of the stuff I don't like about the genre still present in the film. The female characters looked virtually the same as they always do, but the male characters had a lot more realistic detail to their faces (with the exception of Spike, who looks feminine anyway). I also really enjoyed the highly realistic cityscapes. This is an aspect of anime that I have never had any problem with, but for some reason, the city in this film was fantastically detailed and lit. I am sure that many of the scenes had to be illustrations from photographic references (possibly even traced on a light table), but they really set the mood. The story was intriguing also.

Okay, so now let me slide into my armor before you begin tossing tomatoes in my direction.....

Anime is basically the only thing I watch that has something to do with 'toons' other then the hilarious Family Guy, Futurama, Simpsons, and American Dad shows, I do like Anime in genres such as Paranoid Agent, Trigun, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Case Closed.

@ MdKnightR: Yeah, the Cowboy Bebop movie is very good for the beginner. It's the anime I recommend to anyone who wants to watch anime but hasn't seen any before. Though I bet that seeing it was aired on Adult Swim, it was editted in some way...

let me say that there was a lot of the stuff I don't like about the genre

Japanese animation isn't a genre, it's a style. I know, I know, it's sounds picky but one thing a lot of people think is that all anime is just a violent action movie. Anime has many different genres, from comedy to romance to sci-fi to historical, etc, etc.

The female characters looked virtually the same as they always do

Explain.

but the male characters had a lot more realistic detail to their faces (with the exception of Spike, who looks feminine anyway).

When you put more detail into a face with this sort of style it just makes them look older. The lack of detail is there to emphasis youth, or someone who is healthy.

I think we tried getting mdknightr to explain the whole "all the females look the same" bit before... And to a point they do look the same, but then again, all humans look the same usually when you get down to it. Everyone has 2 eyes a nose, and a mouth, two ears, and hair (unless they cut it off).

I would reccomend the series of cowboy bebop. Its one of the best series ever, and its one of the most popular. Cartoon Network has been replaying it without loosing its fan base since they first aired it back around 2000 I think. I havent watched it over and over like I have with family guy, but I do watch it when I catch the show, because they change the air times around.

Oh and next week, AS starts showing at EST, Naruto (9pm), and Escaflowne (12a), and from the looks of the trailers, Escaflowne isnt the same hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as animation.

Aash Li is right...Search back a page or so in this thread. We discussed my feelings about how the characters in most Anime fit a certain formula (kinda like a how-to draw [insert thing here] book) and we pretty much exhausted the issue.

And as for your statement "Japanese animation isn't a genre, it's a style," here is what the dictionary has to say about that....

gen·re Audio pronunciation of "genre" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (zhänr)

n.

1. A type or class: “Emaciated famine victims... on television focused a new genre of attention on the continent” (Helen Kitchen).

2. a. A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content: “his six String Quartets... the most important works in the genre since Beethoven's” (Time).

b. A realistic style of painting that depicts scenes from everyday life.

genre

n 1: a kind of literary or artistic work 2: a style of expressing yourself in writing [syn: writing style, literary genre] 3: an expressive style of music [syn: music genre, musical genre, musical style] 4: a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique

Oh and next week, AS starts showing at EST, Naruto (9pm), and Escaflowne (12a), and from the looks of the trailers, Escaflowne isnt the same hacked up piece of crap that Fox tried to pass off as animation.

They were airing these trailers during Cowboy Bebop last night, but they look more like the stuff that I have traditionally distained about the genre. They were also airing previews of Inuyasha and I have to say the same thing about it as well.

Humbly and respectfully disagree with the Super Moderator.

Disagree all you want, doesn't change the fact that what I say is true.

Comedy is a genre. It cannot be classified as anything but comedy. It can however have sub-genres such as "dark comedy", "stoner comedy", etc. It cannot however suddenly become drama. It can contain elements of drama, but it cannot become Drama.

Going by this anime cannot, in any sense of the word, be a genre.

Well, in case you didn't read the definition of the word genre, here is the last part of it..."a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique." By this definition alone, anime is a genre. Anime is an art form, is it not? It also has a characteristic form, does it not? And technique? I think maybe some of you need to bone up on your vocabulary.

Well, in case you didn't read the definition of the word genre, here is the last part of it..."a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique." By this definition alone, anime is a genre. Anime is an art form, is it not? It also has a characteristic form, does it not? And technique? I think maybe some of you need to bone up on your vocabulary.

And you should take a media course. Anyone will tell you Anime is not a genre.

So if I write a book that makes people laugh, the genre is not comedy, it's "book"?... :dozey:

Who here buys anime DVDs?... just thought I'd ask to see if anyone collects like I do :p

I do! :D Though I don't have many DVD's, but I have a boatload of VHS Tapes... I used to get them from a shop in San Francisco's Japan Town center. ;)

If only the DVD's were cheaper! :(

@ RedHawke: Wow, VHS. Old skool :D

@ Prime: \m/ Macross!! Woot

@ Aash Li: The Japanese began forgetting about DVDs at the time they were trying to switch over to LDs... JUST before DVDs finally broke through XD

@ InsaneSith: ^^ I sure do, got myself over 200 DVDs and getting more and more every month.

@ everyone: So what do you all have exactly? List what ya got exactly.

This is what I have...

AD Police OVA - It's not that great, only got it to collect info for my BGC site... actually it's really crap... worst english and japanese acting ever.

AD Police TV - Most people won't like it, but I do for my own reasons.

Akira - Special Edition - Good movie, overrated, but still good. Old english audio sucks, new english audio rocks.

Azumanga Daioh - Funny as hell ^^ Well, for people who like this kind of "4 panel comic humour." English audio is excellent, don't let people tell you otherwise, but it makes more sense to watch it in Japanese seeing as it is about wacky Japanese school girls. I've got all 6 volumes.

Blood: The Last Vampire - Short but bloody good, I liked the dub, glad that a series is being made about it, though I hope they don't screw it up.

Bubblegum Crisis OVA - Oldskool, only for people who like the genre (cyberpunk), but it really is for the small group of people who appreciate this sort of anime. An 80s anime classic. Got the whole series.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - "Remake" of the 80s Bubblegum Crisis, same characters, different universe. I used to love it, but after watching so many other better animes, BGC2040 sucks very much IMO. Though it does have its charm... even if it is limited charm. Got the whole series.

Chobits - Ah, love Chobits, one very well done anime. Love Chii XD sooo cute. One of my favourites, excellent English audio, it's like the Japanese cast are speaking in English all of a sudden. Got the whole series.

Cowboy Bebop - Got the entire series + best session + movie. Great anime, great series, excellent movie. I recommend the series and movie to anyone who is a newcomer to anime.

Dragon Ball - Only one DVD of Dragonball, the 10th Anniversary special. It's pretty damn good seeing as I consider Dragon Ball to be a classic.

Dragonball Z - Movies 1, 2, 3, 8 and 10. Great when you have a craving for short bursts of pointless action. I don't actually like DBZ but I do like the animation and style. For anyone who thinks the english audio in DBZ sucks, you're right. But then again when you think about it, they kept with the way it sound in the Japanese audio, remember DBZ is VERY old... the Japanese audio isn't any better.

Excel Saga - :D Absolute madness, love it. Great english IMHO, though to get the most out of it you would have to know Japanese very well. It's still good though, though it would be too far out for anyone who's not that much into anime. Got the whole series.

FLCL - Furi Kuri! Love it, though some people make it out to be the anime to end all animes or some crap like that... It's great, but not THAT great lol. I liked the english audio, got the whole series.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Got the first 3 volumes... out of however many their are which haven't been released lol. Love FMA, great english audio, great series. I want more.

Full Metal Panic! - Can get a little too rediculous at times, but damn it's good. Great characters, great english audio, great series.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu - The action series turned romantic comedy. :D It works, it works so very well lol. It's so damn funny, so so damn funny XD The English audio is great too.

Gantz - Extremely graphic violence, extremely bad language, sex and nudity. Rock on :D English audio is done very well considering.

Gasaraki - Very underrated, great english audio, I like it better than the Japanese audio actually. Great story and mecha action. It's heavy on the politics so if you're shy about that sorta thing then you'll get bored in parts.

Ghost in the Shell - Great movie, little overrated, but still great. English audio sucks except for the guy who plays Batou. Lotsa problems with the subtitles as well and the english script. Unk. But Batou's english voice was the only great thing about the english side of things. Great in Japanese of course.

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex - The series. Set in a parallel universe compared to the movies, I have 6 volumes out of 7. English Audio is done pretty well, it's a police drama all in all. Another anime for the beginner I would think, just like Cowboy Bebop.

Gunsmith Cats - Oldskool, short but sweet. English audio is done pretty well for one of ADVs first works ever.

His and Her Circumstances - Great English audio, a lot of the cast are from Pokemon, but don't let that fool you. These people are EXTREMELY talented once they are put into a position where they can actually use their talent like they did with this anime. Tis a love story, I like it, reminds me back in the days when I was back in school ^^ heeee, only problem is that it doesn't have an ending... Got the entire series.

Ikki Tousen - Basically, it's like DBZ, except instead of muscly men fighting with their shirts off, it's chicks with tits and lesbian action... rawr :D Fanservice all around. Not the best anime in the world, but it has its charm XD Got 3 out of 4 volumes of it.

Jin-Roh - One hellova good movie. Not that great for people who want an happy ending though XD Uses a very realistic style, no big eyed anime cuties here, just "real" people.

Kai Doh Maru - Extremely short, which is bad. 30 minutes of anime with such a rich story. Great animation though. Dub was aright.

Last Exile - Got the entire series, and damn is it a great series, another one of my favourites. It's the Star Wars of anime, and I don't mean in the scifi way. English audio is so damn good. Japanese audio is a little off... unless you like having two of your male characters sound like chicks ;) But other than that it's all good. Great anime, great great anime.

Macross - Super Dimension Fortress Macross, the anime that was used to make the first part of Robotech. No english audio, only Japanese with subtitles. It's oldskool, premium 1982 anime. I love it, Prime loves it, of course that doesn't mean everyone else will love it XD \m/

Macross Plus - Got the 2 OVA discs and the Movie version. English audio sucks, Japanese audio rocks. Great anime, kickass animation.

Madlax - I only have the first volume at the moment out of 7. Can't really comment about it at this point, it's interesting I'll give it that. English audio is acceptable.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - Another parody anime. Lots of charm :D But unlike Excel Saga, it actually has a plot lol. English audio is great, got the whole series.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Got the entire series inlucing directors cut discs, Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion... and 6 out of 7 of the Platinum DVDs. Good series, I make it a point to watch it all at least once a year. Great english audio. Another favourite of mine.

Ninja Scroll - Great movie, pretty good english audio.

Ninja Scroll TV Series - XD I didn't like the series.

Onegai Teacher - Cheesy, but it has its charm. The English audio is aright, Kei's voice annoys me though.

Onegai Twins - The sequal, just as cheesy but again, has its charm. Funnier than the first series IMO, english audio is aright. Got no complaints.

Parasite Dolls - Another Bubblegum Crisis series, it'll confuse most people but the simplest way to explain things is that it's a story of genre. English audio is pretty damn good IMO.

Peacemake Kurogane - It has it's ups and downs, aright series, english audio is aright too. I have 4 volumes out of 7.

Perfect Blue - Damn good movie, english audio is pretty good.

Princess Mononoke - Great movie... the english audio consists of hollywood starts, most of which are actually aright. A couple of which should never have been considered to be in this movie. Whoever thought Billy Bop Thornton would be a great voice for this anime needs to be shot.

Puni Puni Poemy - The "sequal" to Excel Saga. Crazier, more out there, not for the beginner, keep open mind XD

RahXephon - Like Evangelion, but very unlike Evangelion. Anyone who likes Eva will love this, but it is NOT an Eva clone. Great series, great english audio. Got the entire series. One of my favourites.

Read or Die - Love ROD, great anime. Kickass english audio, kickass action :D

ROD the TV - Sequal to Read or Die, another one of my favourites so so love it :D

Ruroruni Kenshin - It has its ups and downs, it should've ended at the end of series 2 but what can ya do. The english audio isn't that great but not that bad either. Aright anime, I know people who really love it but the OVA (Samurai X) is better than the TV series IMO.

Samurai Champloo - Great anime. Great english audio for the most part, another anime for the beginner. I have the first 3 volumes out of 7.

Samurai X - Another favourite. Trust and Betrayal is one of the greatest animations ever made. So damn good, I love the english audio. So damn good, all of it. Reflection is also good IMO, though diehard Kenshin fans put it down a lot.

Someday's Dreamers - Nice sweet anime, no action, touching ending *sniff* Got entire series.

Transformers - Not anime, lol. Loved the series as a kid, love the movie. So damn cool XD

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - Great movie, great english audio (seeing as the english audio is the original audio). Another one for the beginner.

Voices of a Distant Star - Great anime, the english audio didn't fit but was done well.

So what does everyone else have exactly? XD

Archived