Home

A worthy saber effects mod? Hmm...

I thought some people might be interested in having a look at this saber effects mod made by SanJ. Its description is not only intriguing, but the screenshots look down right ENTICING! Here's the link: http://pcgamemods.com/14433/

I've yet to try it out myself due to my busy schedule, but thought that others might want to give it a try and post his/her feedback here.

IF it delivers what it promises, perhaps it'd be worth integrating into OJP? Perusing through the comments that have been left for the mod, it looks like the author altered some of the sounds to some degree of dissatisfaction, but that being said, it's received HEAPS of praise for how it makes the game look a great deal more like the duels we see in the films. And that can only be a good thing, right?

Yours!

Kyle

That's it for now. Time for bed! ;)

I see that they've added a movie accurate saber clash effect (the nova thingy is what is definitely used in the prequels). :) But I'm iffy on the actual sabers.

Plus, I already have several mods that are sitting on my system that do similar things as is.

I just haven't had the time to properly modify them into the game. I'm currently in a development state where I'm going back and dealing with all the old issues that need to be resolved. So, I might get to them soon. :)

*shrug* I guess I care more about gameplay than visuals so that stuff tends to get tossed on the back burner. If you guys want me to make it a priority, I can.

The look and sounds of the saber blades is something that's probably best left to client side mods.

Sure, we have RGB but that's just colors.

I mean look at how many different "enhanced/Improved/Movie Accurate" saber mini mods are out there? Dozens, if not hundreds. Everybody has their favorite, so people are just going to want to overwrite it with their favorite.

I saw one mod the other day that even turned the sabers more like JK1's. ;) That brought back some memories!

Anyway, another thing to keep in mind is that each of the Star Wars movies changes how the sabers look. In ANH you had inconsistent effects due to budget constraints and SFX problems, that's understandable. Then you have the beautiful painted sabers of ESB. Then you have the big super glowy sabers of ROTJ. Then you have the slightly hazy, etheral looking ones from TPM. AOTC's are sharp, heavy constrast and brightly colored, jumping off the page like neon signs. Then we get ROTS with its "sharp pointy sticks" edges to them...

They're all different! So there's at least 6 "movie accurate" packs right there. Then we have people's preferences. So I say leave this to the client side mods. A person can pop one of these babies in and have every saber in the game look the way they want it to, and nobody else in the game need by the wiser. My 2 cents...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm not going to push it as a priority, but we've (You and I) already talked about this Razor, I would like to see it (more flexible saber code) in, giving more of a movie look (ala MBII) but like you said, gameplay is more important. I would only ask that you implement it if it doesn't take too much time. I'm assuming if you have them laying around already... porting it won't be as time consuming as from scratch (obviously). Up to you, just giving you my two cents :p.

Unfortunately, most people submit stuff that isn't finished (meaning I gotta finish it) or has been applied to the basejka code, which can be a pain in the ass to impliment.

Ahh.. yes, that must be quite the brutal anal invasion. Well, I was only suggesting it if it weren't a crapload of trouble or time to do... but seeing as though it may be... I don't really see the point until you are content with the gameplay.

Archived